Football Stadium

Kangaroo Craig

Lie? How about results? How about 12 National TV appearances in just the last two years alone? How about consistently winning and getting fans to actually come to the games? If you are referring to the statement that Stutz made to the recruit about the Big East, he said that "maybe we will be in a position to move to the Big East." Hardly a statement of fact.Like I said before, prove to me that statement is false. You want the truth? You guys erase any of my posts that talk about the truth. You guys don't want to admit that you are only 11-11 vs. IA opponents the last two years. You don't want to admit that your fan base and attendance are horrible. That is why you earase some of my posts.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toledorockets has been sniffing too much jet fuel. Akron is on the rise and that threatens him. That's why he spends so much time on Zips NATION. He secretly wants to jump on board because Akron is going to leave toledo in the dust or rust like the rest of his tired town. :macc: :macc: :macc: :cheers:

woulda coulda shoulda. Big damn deal who sent who when where why and how many.Bottom Line is.....the MAC football trophy currently resides in Akron untill this comming season.Next to the soccer trophy and the Womens CC trophy.There are good chances it will be joined by the track and field trophy and the basketball trophy.And Toledo has won what championship for the current season(s)???I thought so.

2004 Akron Attendance:vs. Middle Tennessee    --  17,253vs. Buffalo  --  7,121vs. Ball State  --  7,826vs. Marshall  --  29, 521  (nearly half of which were Marshall fans)vs. Miami    --    17, 410I'd say 25,000 seats is more than enough.  Maybe you guys, for $20 million, will get the NCAA minimum 18,000.  That is more than enough from the looks of things.
It would be a damn shame to plan a 15,000 seat statium and while in the process of building a football program that will dominate the MAC for years to come.Aside from the fact that Akron started getting some national and more consistent regional mention every 20th time the Browns QB's is talked about, and aside from the fact that they won the MAC and went to a bowl game (albiet, definately not the most high profile of bowl games), and aside from the fact that they have an indoor practice facility that receives raves from NFL teams that have used it to practice, this program has reached critical mass (gone over the hump) in terms of their image in the region and state. This means that Akron will now be able to tap into the recruiting of SOME regional that once recruited larger schools. This is a snowball that could lead to recruiting success so good that the MAC could someday be asking Akron to leave so they can have parity.Sure, a lot can happen to kill the snowball, and lack of vision is one of them. The zips need to get out of the rubber bowl. It's a nice facility, but it's too far away, and at the end of a bottle-neck to boot. A campus stadium is exactly what the zips need to continue their date with destiny, but what they don't need is to limit themselves to a seating capacity of a Div.2 school.

Most, if not all from this board, have predicted that the site of the new stadium will be on the north side of exchange street adjacent to the new fieldhouse. That is about 95% Accurate. (see attached)
I did a quick photoshop job using google-maps sattelite images with the Syracuse Carrier Dome as a reference. It has a capacity of 49,250, and was built in 1980.

Most, if not all from this board, have predicted that the site of the new stadium will be on the north side of exchange street adjacent to the new fieldhouse.  That is about 95% Accurate.  (see attached)
I did a quick photoshop job using google-maps sattelite images with the Syracuse Carrier Dome as a reference. It has a capacity of 49,250, and was built in 1980.
Man! Zen, Even if it is out of the question you should e-mail that to someone, that looks awsome, and since there is nothing set in stone there is always a chance!

The image shown should be pretty close to scale (as long as the altitude of the aereal photos are accurate to the scale google had for their aereal photos between Syracuse and Akron. I am assuming the scale on those aerials are relatively accurate). What that means is that location between Rt.8 and the Nat has room for a tight squeeze of a 50,000 statium. I estimate the parking as shown south of the stadium is less than 2000 vehicles, so parking decks would be in order, rather than lots.Also, I imagine 2 or 3 of the empty corners of the stadium could have spiral ascending walkways, and there could be elevated walkways between the parking decks and the stadium as well. Of course, that plan would displace dozens of houses and a handfull of frat houses, so it could seem like a bad idea to some.The benefit of that location would be that you add more parking capacity for commuters during the week, as well as adding classroom space right near campus (if you include classrooms on the sublevels (below the stands) which is in no way an architectural problem, and in fact, gives more campus usability to that real estate to the college rather than to private housing (which the school definately wouldn't mind). Also, since it's right next to campus, you can expect that a fair percentage of students from residence halls and off campus housing would attend the games (much more so then when it was at the rubber bowl) and that would not tax the parking capacity.Accesability isn't too bad either. Buchtel and Exchange from rt.8. If the city and county cooperated with the project, ramps could be added to brown, but that would probably be a civil nightmare because of proximity to the interchange. But hey, they fixed rt.8. Why not add ramps at Brown?

How do you figure? Even your own website estimates the Akron crowd at somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000. Toledo went over 20,000 last year and we sent over 18,000 to the MAC Championship game which was more than this year's total attendance between you and NIU.
As someone who was at the Motor City Bowl with the second largest crowd in MCB history, the zip fans outnumbered those of Memphis 5-1 conservatively. It obviously helped that we are located closer to the venue than Memphis. They had a nice group but could be clearly seen in two sections of the lower and upper bowl. 50,616 was the paid attendance at the bowl game. I'm sure a few gave up because the lines to get in were so long. How far from toledo is Detroit? Are you seriously getting geeked up about 18,000 people when you are less than an hour from Ford Field? That is truly sad. It was a sea of blue and gold! :macc: :macc: :macc:

How far is the Rubber Bowl from your campus? And you can only must up 7,000 fans for a football game?For your information, the attendance for the Motor City Bowl is based on butts in the seats, not paid attendance. The Big Three account for 80% of the people in the stands. And, just so you know, blue is the main color of both teams in attendance and, on top of that, it is the single most popular color, besides white, for clothing. So, just because you saw a lot of people wearing blue, does not mean they were there supporting Akron.The MCB was pissed when the MACC game was NIU and Akron and Toledo, the team they really wanted, had already commited to the GMAC Bowl.

The MCB was pissed when the MACC game was NIU and Akron and Toledo, the team they really wanted, had already commited to the GMAC Bowl
Of course the most important fact is you didn't qualify for the MAC championship game! The Memphis blue which all the Memphis fans were wearing is very different from our Blue and Gold. The butts in the seats was over 46,000 which was printed in the Detroit News and the articles were all very favorable regarding the game and teams involved. We rocked the house. Your opinion about a game you didn't attend is worthless. You're attempting to fight a war with a cap gun and mommy has taken your caps away. Wait till your out of short pants . Pathetic :gun::gun::gun::gun: :macc:

How far is the Rubber Bowl from your campus? And you can only must up 7,000 fans for a football game?
It's a 10 minute drive (in light traffic) from campus, but much worse at game time because of the single access bottle neck I refered to previously. Of course the university couldn't turn it down. It cost them $1 as I remember. A donation from goodyear. If Akron can muster 7000 in a stadium in lean years that is a pain to get to and no where near walking distance from campus, then it is not in any way hard to imagine 4 or 5 times that kind of attendance in a new facility next to campus with a exciting program. Not only would you get a lot more students there, but the stadium would get a mystique that the rubber bowl has very little of.

Love the photoshop work you did. Anybody know the cost of that building in 1980. That would have to be more than 200 million in 2006 dollars. I would love to have something like that but I can't see it happeneing. That can't be put together in stages which is probably neccessary for a facility as costly as a new stadium. If they can get it done, all the better. http://carrierdome.syr.edu/carrierdome/history.asp:macc: 26.85 million dollars!!! WOW Too bad the administration we now have wasn't around back then.

I checked the scale. They were slightly off. The Dome in the image (several posts above) should actually be about 6% smaller, which actually means you have slightly more room for the project!The bad thing is, this would interfere with the "greek village" project.I was thinking. Didn't Akron give up the central hower campus?So I checked to see how it would fit.(see attached)Bad fit. Very very close. Also, traffic access is worse then the east campus concept,and south college street would be closed,and worse, no place to provide parking except for the existing lots and decks.Also, keep in mind that the image below does not show the new spicer building project.So, this wont work. (but my wheels are still spinning...I will post soon)

Just out of curiosity what would be the potential of putting up a stadium in the position of the old Memorial Hall. I know Proenza has talked in the past about replacing Memorial as well as a few other buildings (although which ones escapes my memory at the moment). We could put the new stadium up right there in the center of campus. Tear down a few of the old eyesores. Take over Hower from the city to replace the classroom space lost and use the area's talked about previously for the stadium for parking.

Just out of curiosity what would be the potential of putting up a stadium in the position of the old Memorial Hall.  I know Proenza has talked in the past about replacing Memorial as well as a few other buildings (although which ones escapes my memory at the moment).  We could put the new stadium up right there in the center of campus.  Tear down a few of the old eyesores.  Take over Hower from the city to replace the classroom space lost and use the area's talked about previously for the stadium for parking.
Memorial hall is arena sized and much too small. In face, it's not even a great size for an arena.

i like the work zen! but you bring up a good point that many fraturnity houses would be torn down and would ruin the greek villiage concept. with that said i think if you swap the parking area out and put the stadium there that would work and looks like what the university is planning on doing......the only other thing they'll have to do is add some major parking lots...aside from that the plan looks like a winner!GO ZIPS! :macc:

Just out of curiosity what would be the potential of putting up a stadium in the position of the old Memorial Hall.  I know Proenza has talked in the past about replacing Memorial as well as a few other buildings (although which ones escapes my memory at the moment).  We could put the new stadium up right there in the center of campus.  Tear down a few of the old eyesores.  Take over Hower from the city to replace the classroom space lost and use the area's talked about previously for the stadium for parking.
Memorial hall is arena sized and much too small. In face, it's not even a great size for an arena.
I'm talking Memorial as well as a couple of the other eyesores that exist around it. Think Memorial, Carrol, Kolbe and Leigh Halls. Only flaw that I could see in this is that Kolbe is the base zone for WZIP and was remodled not that long ago if memory serves and Leigh I know was completely redone recently and is the base for the center for distrubuted learning with all kinds of tech. gadgets for classroom communications around the globe.