Big First Pickup for New Socker Coach

A letter to me from Z.I.P. ---->First major news out of new Coach Caleb Porter's office: his leadassistant will be Ryan Higginbotham -- West Texas coaching director forthe Dallas Texans Soccer Club -- one of the best youth socker programsin the nation. Ryan coached Lee Nguyen -- last year's national Freshmanof the Year for Indiana. His two immediate past coaches are now joinedtogether. Meanwhile Nguyen has fled the country -- signing to play forDutch champions PSV Einhoven along with US World Cup wing DeMarcusBeasley.I'm thinking that Eddie Johnson, the leading scorer on the US WCqualifying squad also played for the Texans. They are filled with greatplayers from across Longhorn country. Look out SMU -- no more will yousteal players out of Ohio! Sorry, Rich, did not want a blogger (nee Rasor) to write this up first. Good stuff.

A letter to me from Z.I.P.  ---->First major news out of new Coach Caleb Porter's office:  his leadassistant will be Ryan Higginbotham -- West Texas coaching director forthe Dallas Texans Soccer Club -- one of the best youth socker programsin the nation.  Ryan coached Lee Nguyen -- last year's national Freshmanof the Year for Indiana.  His two immediate past coaches are now joinedtogether.  Meanwhile Nguyen has fled the country -- signing to play forDutch champions PSV Einhoven along with US World Cup wing DeMarcusBeasley.I'm thinking that Eddie Johnson, the leading scorer on the US WCqualifying squad also played for the Texans.  They are filled with greatplayers from across Longhorn country.  Look out SMU -- no more will yousteal players out of Ohio! Sorry, Rich, did not want a blogger (nee Rasor) to write this up first.  Good stuff.
Hey no problema (howzit goin' out on Hametown Road, pardner?) -- except that the soccer thread never seems to be on the board when I want to post to it! What's up with that?Not to become too Texascentric, but here are some more Texans' alumni soccer people are familiar with: Mr Mohawk himself, Clint Dempsey and fellow MLS players Nick Garcia and Jose Burciaga. And looking at 05 College Cup semi-finalists SMU, they reportedly have a total of fourteen (14!) members of the club on their roster -- including 11 2005 recruits. Holy smokes! Would be nice to see Roderick Scott back on campus. He was a legend in blue and gold.And regarding the 2005 recruiting class, I wouldn't be that concerned. We have enough returning to be contenders for the grand salame next year without a single one of them. That's not to put them down, as there are some good players there, but if they want to be part of The Big Time they know where to come. It's possible one or two might not be invited by Caleb anyhow though, as his sights are a little bigger in the recruiting world than were Ken Lolla's, with all due respect. Wait till soccer fans see the 2006-07 class. It will blow you away, I'm sure -- similar to the difference between Lee Owens and JD's recruits. Go Zip booters (BOTH squads)!