Keith Dambrot and Mike Thomas?

Paigers

On #2, I have not heard that and sure hope that it is not true. As far as I am concerned, KD walks on water. I am never surprised if anyone leaves, but he truly has the ability and passion to turn Akron into the next UC. I think he stays the course and becomes a legend in Akron, but who knows. I can be rather naive.

On #2, I have not heard that and sure hope that it is not true. As far as I am concerned, KD walks on water. I am never surprised if anyone leaves, but he truly has the ability and passion to turn Akron into the next UC. I think he stays the course and becomes a legend in Akron, but who knows. I can be rather naive.
Well said. It's probably not his dream job, but it could be and it is his alma mater. :thumb:

Well said. It's probably not his dream job, but it could be and it is his alma mater. :thumb:
Agreed. I hope that he stays 'home' a for a bit.

I do NOT want Huggins! Give me Dambrot all day.Thomas did what many perceive to be an excellent job at Akron. He came from Virginia and really took our programs to the Division 1 level, which should have actually happened when we went D-1 in around 1993. I for one was extremely sorry to see him go, because you just knew he was going to get the new stadium built. If you read his bio you should get all the info you need. It's not on our site anymore but probably could be found at Cincinnati's. Facilities were improved and he built a new indoor fieldhouse that many say is one of the finest in the country. He also hired several excellent coaches and fundraising was up. Our academic ranking also was greatly improved in the conference - to 2nd place I believe and up from around last place. I heard all the coaches like him a lot (except the ones he had to fire, of course lol). He also brought in UAM, and other new staff, all of whom have been solid if not excellent hires.I'd say he did an "A" job.

Keith Dambrot is determined to make Akron a first-rate basketball program.On his post-game with Steve French after the WMU game he expressed his displeasure at the attendance factor.But he did not put the monkey on anyone else's back. He views building the Akron program as his first priority - including selling season tickets. He will not be moving from Akron (if he ever does; I think he does intend to become an Akron University icon) until he takes the program beyond what Huggins built.The Akron athletic administration dropped the basketball "ball" when Huggins left. Its hires until Dambrot were disasters. The relevance to Dambrot is that he has lot of ground to make up because of the errors in judgment by the Akron University administration. Zip Nation participants need to be a strong ally to Dambrot to move the program forward. Most of us are good at talk. We need to do the talk but also the walk. First things first indicates that those up us who are not season ticket holders need to get on board.Additionally, this forum should be one that Dambrot looks at frequently so he can stay in touch with the player and game analysis, thoughts, opinions and suggestions of everyday followers of the Zips.

ZA said...........

Zip Nation participants need to be a strong ally to Dambrot to move the program forward. Most of us are good at talk. We need to do the talk but also the walk. First things first indicates that those up us who are not season ticket holders need to get on board.
Well put!!! And totally agreed!!!

All things considered life experiences are what make people who they are and there aren't many Div. 1 coaches who went through what KD went through to get back to coaching. With that said I think KD appreciates working at Akron more than any coach in recent history not only because it's his alma mater, but because he realizes what can be taken from you in the blink of an eye. I think KD is one that thinks winning at Akron and turning the program into a perennial winner, while making a couple hundred grand might just be good enough. Why not have a great job in a place you love near the people who mean the most to you and take home a pretty nice pay day for it. I hate to bring up Charlie Coles because I don't think he's had the success I'm thinking about, but his obviously happy with his situation -- puts a more than competitive team on the floor each year. There are people like this left in the world and I tend to think KD might be one of them.