Next Year

GoZips

A TROLL posting on our board got me to thinking. Just what kind of a coach red shirts aseven foot tall player? Only reasons I can surmise are, one, he has two seven footers inhis current rotation; two, the seven footer is a medical red shirt; three, the seven footer is a project. Care to guess which one fits Cant Skate?Me thinks the said coach plans to be long gone before next season begins.Sizing up the Zips.Mike Bardo the incoming freshman is going to give the Zips something they have lacked for a long, long time. Bardo is a true back to the basket post player. He will see playingtime as a true freshman.With Bardo in the post J Wood and Travis can play the power forward position or the wingin a number of combinations. The front line strength is going to be far superior to anythe Zips has had in recent years. Incoming Chris McKnight at 6'6" has been likened to a Romeo Travis clone. Expect himto understudy Travis and be productive right away.Nate Linhart has a solid grip on the wing. He will only get better. While McKnight and Travis can play the wing the true understudy to Linhart needs to be John Rybak. Rybakwill need to get beyond the freshman quality play and step up if he wants floor time.Zips fans will enjoy the talented, athletic play of 6'5" Jimmy Conyers. Conyers has thetools to play point, swing and shooting guard. Here is a player that has every chanceto be the MAC POY. A lot of carping about KD's recruiting will disappear when you seethis kid play. Bank on it.Young and undersized Darryl Roberts may see plenty of time as a back up guard. Thecurrent trio of guards of Middleton, Dials and Joyce give the Zips plenty of talent andbackcourt experience. Joyce needs to take command and be a senior leader of thisteam.Quade Milum, Chad Mraz, Nick Goddard, fan favorite Zach Sowers and Jeremy Sallee arerole players who contribute far more than most fans realize. Their everyday work ethicin practice and their collective heart help lift this team. While they will not see muchfloor time barring injuries they still contribute a lot. Support them.All that said, the Zips still need another BIG man with some space filling capacity andmore help at the guard. Depth at guard cannot be over emphasized.Trust coach Dambrot and his staff to recognize and fill the team needs.GO ZIPS ... !!!

Proving my point, in Akron, it's always: "Wait 'till next year!"
They said "Wait 'til next year" in Boston for 85 years, then a group called "The Idiots" stunned the Yankees and Boston won the title, and it was all worth it. It made it that much sweeter for Red Sox fans. This UA team is our "Idiots." We're gonna lock up #3 tomorrow and stun Can't in the finals! Viva la Zips!

we need wood back healthy to have any chance of a great team. we need at east two good post players.as good as conyers is supposed to be he is not 7 foot.hopefully wood and one of younger guys can come through.if not i just dont see how the current guys are going to be able to rebound against the better mac teams.

Proving my point, in Akron, it's always: "Wait 'till next year!"
Three winning seasons in football since 1976. :cry::rofl: Now there's something to be proud of. :thumb::laugh_up::screwks: Way to go gates!2001 ... w6-5 l1987 ... w7-4 l 1976 ... w8-4 l76-85 ... w34-76 l 86-95 ... w25-84 l96-05 ... w28-84 l76-05 ... w87-246 lAt least they are consistent! :cheers::laugh_up::screwks: Zips :macc:

No mention of "wait until next year" because such a thought was not entertained. Mypost was intended to give Zips fans a view of what is coming. The strengthening ofunder manned areas and a look at far more firepower. No comparison to Cant Skateor any other school was implied or intended. How sad that the TROLL thinks every oneis like him. Here then IS a little look into Cant Skate's future in men's basketball. Always remembering of course that Cant does not have a football team.Now that the NCAA "APR" has been released I think we can know how Christian "reloaded." Can't apparently (i.e., Christian) ran off several players thus freeing up several scholarships.This allowed him to recruit better quality kids simply because the original kids were recruitedback before Can't had a small string (two or three) of twenty win seasons. While running scholarship players off might harm one's reputation it at least allowed Christianto improve the stock. Tip: this is a good argument about how "good a guy" he is. Mostcoaches do not wholesale run off kids. Its frowned upon and can lead to an NCAA investigation. The implementation of the APR put a dagger into Can't's hide. I fully expect for Jim Christian to find a new place of employment before next season. If heremains at Can't after this season it is only because no other school (of which he will applyto many) made him an offer. He may have made himself a pariah.

GoZips...yes I agree Christian hurt his image but it was good thing to get rid of those players, they all had personal agendas and were not buying into the system. It was a blessing in disguise. But dont get me wrong losing scholarships is going to hurt, but it is only for a year. They will be dressing 11 next year instead of ten this year. AND the only reason the "7" footer redshirted was he CHOSE to be redshirted because he wouldnt be getting too many minutes. He is a project I dont gisagree at all but from the progress he made by practicing this year I think he's going to give the MAC alot of trouble. I am so happy AKron is finally turned their bball program around and it makes those 2 games a year more important. May the better team win today and we'll definately be seeing you in Cleveland!