Michael Beaven article

Well done Zippers, this is a huge result and shows that the "finding a way to win" spirit is still strong within the program. I was back on campus to see old friends in the athletics department, on the soccer team and some AK rowdies originals from the time I was playing. To me the impression is that the program is as strong as it ever was, but I read after the hartwick loss that some were critical towards Jared and the hiring process. As a proud and former Zip I want to emphasize that I think Jared will prove to be an excellent hire for Akron. He was my assistant coach for two years and proved a fantastic resource to the program during that time.

Also, it's important to remember our history. Some of you might remember, but Caleb came in after Ken Lolla and a great 2005 season with the same amount of pressure, taking on a head coach job after being an assistant at IU. The program is for sure at another level now than in 2006 with great facilities, having won a national championship and ability to recruit the best. But the situation is very much similar as people back then expected for us to go far in the NCAA and cruise through the MAC. Which we did not do by any means.

But we knew from the start that Caleb would take the program to where he did and the AK Rowdies backed us on this, even though we did not achieve right away. I am sure Jared will bring the program great results, but the program is more than a coach or a star player. It includes the AK rowdies and our fans were instrumental in the rise of Akron soccer to be a college powerhouse. So you do have a great impact that makes a difference!

My message is really simple as I am not able to support this program and team that I once represented from the stands. Give them your best support and lets dream big. Every year we should pursue championships and I do not see any reason why we cant do it this year.

I believe that we have won - Go Zips!

Ossie

• 2 weeks later...