New Main Entrance to Campus

So much going on right now, I almost filed this story under two already existing topics: "Scarborough's Next Move," and/or "Baseball Gone."

But this might be worth a topic of it's own. It's the ABJ report on the newly-proposed main entrance replacing the baseball field. Comprehensive renovations would also involve a relocation of the track and the demolition of Galucci Hall.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/university-of-akron-considers-11-2-million-in-improvements-including-new-main-entrance-to-campus-1.619785#

Yep, this will provoke a lengthy discussion all by itself as every proposed new expenditure in the project is questioned in light of the budget cuts. The overall question will be: Why couldn't UA have saved the $60 million by freezing all new development for a few years instead of cutting people and programs? UA needs to have good answers ready.

1. Which corner of Exchange and Spicer is available to receive the track relocation?

2. Wouldn't a new entrance at the baseball field & track just run into the soccer pitch and softball diamond? What would be the point of that? Unless they were to put a new admin / information / welcome center building there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+University+of+Akron/@41.0737003,-81.5106714,270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883129d8ef8c276f:0x66f09fc09aa9c6d2!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Empire builders never concern themselves with human life or existing facilities.

Their goal is always making their own name shine the brightest.

The university needs many things; a new entrance is not on the list.

Oddly, the new main entrance is on the back side of the campus. touche'

• Like 1

1. Which corner of Exchange and Spicer is available to receive the track relocation?

2. Wouldn't a new entrance at the baseball field & track just run into the soccer pitch and softball diamond? What would be the point of that? Unless they were to put a new admin / information / welcome center building there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+University+of+Akron/@41.0737003,-81.5106714,270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883129d8ef8c276f:0x66f09fc09aa9c6d2!6m1!1e1?hl=en

1. The north east corner. The Google Maps image is old. There are no buildings left between Exchange and Alpha Delta Pi / Lone Star.

2. You want to showcase your best product, the one that puts you in the most positive light, and that's soccer (at least in the minds of the public, who don't follow academic news).

1. The north east corner. The Google Maps image is old. There are no buildings left between Exchange and Alpha Delta Pi / Lone Star.

2. You want to showcase your best product, the one that puts you in the most positive light, and that's soccer (at least in the minds of the public, who don't follow academic news).

1. Looking at the northeast corner of Exchange and Spicer in Google Maps and ignoring all the buildings, the track is too long to fit between Exchange and Nash Street to the north, so Nash would have to be eliminated. The width of the track would barely fit between Spicer and Goodkirk Street to the east only if every single building is eliminated between Spicer and Goodkirk and Exchange and Alpha Delta Pi /Lone Star. There were some pretty shabby buildings there, so that would be a major improvement to that area's image if the track ends up there.

2. It does make sense to have the public entrance (not student entrance) to the U off of the main street bordering the campus, which is Exchange. Zips fans should appreciate the fact that this would showcase the excellent new athletic facilities as the first impression on new visitors to the campus. The impression of UA from driving by on Exchange has drastically improved in recent years, and it sounds as if it's going to get even better.

In addition to the Grand Entrance, there's also a Grand Mystery:

Two of the projects were redacted from the UA documents. The school called those details proprietary.

Who enters campus this way???

Doesn't everyone walk on from dorms, or parking decks? Or crossing the tracks in the old Union Station from downtown?

Complete waste of money and valuable land. Which is exactly why this ass hat will do it.

• Like 1

If it's just a main entrance to the former baseball field & track, walled off from the rest of campus by the soccer and softball fields, it makes no sense other than being a photo op for uakron.edu and other media. If it is meant to lead to Buchtel Hall as the article states, the softball field would have to be moved as well. It would make more sense if the new main entrance includes some type of visitor / prospective student / sports attendees welcome and information center, easily accessible from Exchange.

Until we have access to all the fine details, all we can do is speculate. What we've found in recent months is that it's difficult to accurately speculate about moves being made at UA because incomplete, conflicting and erroneous data is being published. Some of that is the fault of UA's self-admittedly poor communication, some is the fault of cursory journalism and some is due to factions at odds with the current administration pushing their own agendas.

As for a new main entrance off of Exchange having better access to Buchtel Hall, a quick look at the map reveals a simple solution: Move the existing practice football field to the current location of the baseball field and place the new visitor parking lot in the current location of the practice football field adjacent to the Student Union. There are also other options we can discuss. But we really need more hard data about the plan to understand exactly what they have in mind.

Being wary of what the Scar will pull next is not an agenda. It's concern over our alma mater.

Fans of his should be wary of the concerns of benefactors.

Some of those, IMO, go in the category of "why haven't we already been doing that?" So perhaps I'm willing to give credit, where credit is due. Specifically 1, 2, 8, 9, 10. I was a Bliss Institute Intern, wonderful thing...But I need to hear details about it a "Center" in Columbus. What exactly would be the point of the center? Interns go to Columbus to study/get practical experience in the Legislature/Government...what would the Center be doing?

3, 5, 6, 7 are somewhat unnecessary IMO. Especially at the tune of some $5. Perhaps if a rich Alumnus is willing to dish out for it...than go ahead. Seems like frivolous spending, especially when this administration labeled EJ Thomas Hall programing as such an expense.

Balsy, as with any wish list, I'd expect some to be prioritized over others with the lowest priority items only being addressed if additional funding is found. Typically items near the bottom of a wish list tend not to happen. Having UA Politics Centers in Columbus and Washington, D.C., could help raise the U's standing with elements of state and federal government as well as enhancing student recruiting. The education landscape is being reshaped by elected officials, and there can be value in having a higher profile in the seats of power where decisions are being made. A sound, well-executed plan could pay dividends.

Having UA Politics Centers in Columbus and Washington, D.C., could help raise the U's standing with elements of state and federal government as well as enhancing student recruiting. The education landscape is being reshaped by elected officials, and there can be value in having a higher profile in the seats of power where decisions are being made. A sound, well-executed plan could pay dividends.

So the focus of the center would by lobbying? Recruiting? I guess I'm confused on what the Bliss Institute would specifically be doing as it pertains to those two places and UA. I'm all for it, but I'm curious what exactly a "Center" would be doing. The Bliss Inters are placed into the policitcal/governmental process by working in it, what would a Center be doing to support that I guess is what I'm curious about.

So the focus of the center would by lobbying? Recruiting? I guess I'm confused on what the Bliss Institute would specifically be doing as it pertains to those two places and UA. I'm all for it, but I'm curious what exactly a "Center" would be doing. The Bliss Inters are placed into the policitcal/governmental process by working in it, what would a Center be doing to support that I guess is what I'm curious about.

I don't know either but I trust that John Green would have some good input on that. For one thing, I think it would boost the scope and stature of UA political polls. Political fact-checking services have become a pretty big thing also.