UA vs. Winston-Salem Game Predictions

ZachTheZip

Unfortunately, the Zips will probably drop some spots in the RPI with a win against the 1-11 Winston-Salem team. The Zips are at 162 and WS is 309, with our SOS being 319. The only thing the Zips can do to help themselves is win these games, but with a weak schedule our RPI number is not rising. Zips 84 WS-56

Unfortunately, the Zips will probably drop some spots in the RPI with a win against the 1-11 Winston-Salem team.
Isn't it sad that we schedule games like that ? if you loose them, it hurts your RPI, but if you win them... wait a second, it still hurts your RPI. It's a "can't win" situation and we still scheduled them.

It's becoming more and more evident to me that we need to win the MAC to get into the tournament. I don't think that the Nevada game (unless we win it) and a MAC schedule will get us enough quality opponents to warrant an at-large bid. Especially since Oral Roberts and Loyola Marymount don't appear to be as good as we first thought. Win the MAC, or win at least 25 games. I don't see any other possibilities with teams like Tiffin, Winston Salem and Binghamton on our schedule. Prediction: Akron needs to win this one by 50 to get us much out of playing this "unquality opponent" as possible.

Does an RPI in the top 50 with a 20+ win season or an RPI in the top 100 with a 25+ win season help better? The NCAA always screws the MAC and we get doubly screwed. Even if we played and beat 3 teams in the top 20 some excuse would be they lost their last 2 out 4 of on the road or crap like that. Personally I want to see a tough schedule and good games at home but regardless of the schedule, we still would get screwed. The bracket buster is shaping up to be a good game. Nevada and the bracket buster could give 2 high quality teams. Once they get into their conference schedule, Oral Roberts, LM, and ALR and maybe even Binghamton will begin to rise. UIC will also be solid in the Horizon. If we end up 12- 4 in the MAC and lose 1 or 2 mor OOC, we will still end up around 50th for RPI. Being 50 or 30 won't matter. Either Laing Kennedy gets us in or he doesn't. I am a cynic, but I hate the NCAA.

:zzz: (nudge me if they show the "Zippy Kicks Other Mascots Asses" video)Zips 102-47.
After speaking with Chad Welker (ZipsVision Operator), someone in the front office isn't a big fan of that video. I am not sure if they completely axed it, but I think you will see it very limited this year. :rolleyes:

Here are some final scores that will affect us:Oral Roberts 58, Georgetown 73UALR 67, Minnisota 66Toledo 58, Kansas 68Central Arkansas 72, Bowling Green 58Illinois-Chicago 66, Illinois 71Can't State 79, IPFW 69St, Johns 86, Niagara 64Pitt 70, Buffalo 67St. Francis (PA) 91, Sacred Heart 103Bellarmine 74, Ohio 91Troy 84, NIU 81Oklahoma St. 75, Ball State 56West Virginia 85, Duquesne 54Western Carolina 73, Gardner Webb 74Our conference and our Strength-of-Schedule is getting killed tonight. We will drop in the RPI, even with our win.

I don't pretend to be a basketball know-it-all but I was at the game tonight cheering my butt of with the Rowdies (BTW, the continued lack of any emotion out of the reserved seat crowd is pathetic and inexcusable, you should have to sign a waiver when you buy those tickets that you will at least make some kind of sound during the evenings festivities). Here are the few observations I can come up with.-I didn't look at the box score, but Winston Salem had to have an absolute sick night from 3 point range. Seemed like every time they hoisted one up from behind the arch it was going in. It contributed to keeping them close.-Sloppy Sloppy play on the offensive side of things praticularly in the first half for the zips. It looked like we came out expecting to whollup these guys and play some street ball and it just wasn't happening. Poor shot selection, some really dumb passes, some really stupid turnovers. Again it contributed to keeping them close.-Looked like KD expected an easy one too and brought some of the reserves off the bench early. Conyers and McKnight in praticular were in early. McKnight came back later. Conyer no. Wonder if that means anything. -The refs were getting REALLY ticky tacky on both sides it seems. It was really aggrevating and it interupted the flow of the game a lot.-Cedrick is as clutch a player as we have on this team. That prayer at the buzzer at the half was just amazing. I hate to be down on him, but thats a shot that I've seen Dru miss too many times. If it comes down to a situation like that later on in the year I want the ball in Ced's hands.

Observations:WSSU defense was tough. Played what seemed to be a hybrid of a 2-3 and man-to-man most of the time. gave us fits inside and lead to a LOT of ill-advised outside shots.Ced's half-court shot at the buzzer of the first half won the game for us. Instead of down 1, we were up two. This team could've beaten the zips tonight.Sitting with the AK-Rowdies for my last season, I was impressed with the involvement. I'm in my 7th year at Akron (finally getting my degree after 5 years of part-time) and I've seen the progression from the "pouch" (me and 5 other people) to this year's rowdies (75% full for a nothing game). It makes me happy to see the student support that I wish was there a few years back.That being said, I'd like to vent here over some idiocy over what is now apparently a completely student-run group. I had a good friend of mine get booted from the student section because he wasnt wearing THIS YEARS Ak-Rowdies shirt. That's right, a 5 year engineering student and now grad student and AK-Rowdy who didnt have time to pick up his shirt prior to the game (full time work and full time school make it kind of hard) was removed from the section by the student "president." Now maybe it's just me, but shouldnt we be making sure the section is at least full before booting people? It sure was nice to see those 30+ empty seats down low while my friend was sitting at home, angry at the entire athletics department because of one little big-headed "fan."Sorry bout that, but that got to me. Good game Zips, hope to not see you against St Francis, "PREZ."