Miami Post-Game

ZachTheZip

I just got back from the game, and here are just a few thoughts.1.) Dru Joyce really is the heart and soul of this team. His defense looked great, and his clutch shots are something I think we all take for granted.2.) Romeo had one of his best games this season. I know the stats don't look that good, but it looks like he finally remembered that he is supossed to be a leader on the court.3.) I wish we had as good of a D as Miami. They can really bog down a game in a hurry. Couple that with a better offense and you could pretty much win every game you play.4.) If I had to describe the entire game in one word, it would be: lethargic. The crowd, the teams, the refs, everything.5.) Speaking of the refs, when that guy from Miami litterally fell through mid-air onto Dru's back, why wasn't there a whistle? The MAC refs really seem to be bad this year.6.)Winning close games in an exciting fashion is the best thing you could hope for if you want to see people fill the JAR. They come to see an exciting game, not a blow-out or a loss. Games like this get people coming back for more.Those are my thoughts for now. What did everyone else think?

How was the attendance tonight? I couldn't make it, but I listened to Miami's play-by-play guys on the Internet cuz for some reason I can never get a clean signal up here on the radio. Of course they sounded like the refs were for the Zips and they ripped Dials a few times. I think Nick Dials might be the most hated player in the MAC except for by Akron fans. I really don't know why.

If i had to guess attendence....i'd say about 3,000 (+/-200).Ditto on Romeo. Maybe he was showing that fire in practice hence the start today? The last few games before tonight he just didnt seem to be putting out that effort, in a word, lethargic. Tonight he was hustling for loose balls, crashing the boards, taking the ball to the hoop. It was nice to see, I like our chances with a fired-up Romeo. I think I fell asleep at some point during the first half, despite my usual seat with the Rowdies. 23-23 at the half! UGH! That stifling defense every year, if Charlie C could string together some offensive talent, they'd be unstoppable. Speaking of Mr. Coles, that man looks like a walking skeleton. Despite that, it was nice to see him get into it with the students a little (as every year). One of the few coaches that lets us know that he can hear us. Overall a nice win. Ugly, but nice. I'm starting to wonder if the Can't game will sell out... Oh, and I know we have BG on the road on Sunday, but I'm gonna officially start off K ent State Sucks Week. Someone feel free to start the thread sometime this weekend :D:screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks:

I agree with everything u said uakronkid... allow me to add the following:1 - worst shooting night i ever seen for the zips. The shot was totally off (especially from Dials).2 - I hate to think about the half court shot in which a Miami guy hit the rim as the time expired... wooow that would have been ugly.3 - I also hate to think that if the home game was that close, the game in miami might be an ugly loss.4 - The refs were horrible and we don't seem to care... people: it is ok to boo the ref, you don't go to jail for doing that ! Dials trying to shoot a 3 pointer, his elbow touches a miami guy who by the way was hugging him... offensive foul. Dru pump fakes and a defender jumps and lands on his shoulder, no foul ! are you $hitting me !5 - Linhart delivered a huge game, (last minute turn over aside). McKnight was solid during his limited time, Dru is smart but lacks the speed that Middleton got. Travis had a good game on the o-side, struggling on the D. Quade and J-wood so so. Conyers is getting there. Rybak, a wasted scholarship.6 - The crowd was so quiet at times and even the rowdies were not the same. We were missing some leadership... i noticed some of the usual leaders were not there.7 - Kudos to Miami's coach a.k.a Uncle Leo (jerry seinfeld's uncle) for a great coaching job, he almost outcoached KD, eventhough i couldn't see any exceptional talent in his team. However, he was always in the court. I can swear i saw the refs asking him to step aside like 6 times... how many times do they have to warn before they tee him ? 8 - The best moment of the night... after the final whistle, the rowdies were stating the obvious fact that Can't state sucks, president Proenza (a wonderful gentleman) passing by point at us and nobbed his head in approval of the statement. Now this is to Can't state president: i know you read this board, because you don't have anything better to do, i mean seriously, how hard is it to be the president of a hippie school where the students can't read or write. So please don't be a baby and bring this thing up to president Proenza the next time you meet him. He only approved the obvious.Now it's cavs time.

nice win. should not have came to even be that close. maybe im nit picking now.the only thing i see about this team that i don't like.at times dials and middleton seem to throw up three's without even giving our guys like romeo,and woods a chance to go inside. the second half we did alott better job going inside, and it paid off. i know this team has three point shooters ,but they need to let it come in the flow of the game.

3 - I also hate to think that if the home game was that close, the game in miami might be an ugly loss.
The thing about Miami's play, it doesnt allow for much of a home-court advantage because of the slow pace. I'm guessing the game at Miami will be similiar, a team (hopefully the zips) will win by less than 5 points, and the total points will be under 115. Random thought: Went to Steak n shake on home ave after the game with two other Rowdies. We were all still decked out in our shirts. Waiter (not ours) had the ball$ to come up to us and wave his Can't State lanyard in our faces saying "this is where it's at." God I hate that school. :screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks:

nice win. should not have came to even be that close. maybe im nit picking now.the only thing i see about this team that i don't like.at times dials and middleton seem to throw up three's without even giving our guys like romeo,and woods a chance to go inside. the second half we did alott better job going inside, and it paid off. i know this team has three point shooters ,but they need to let it come in the flow of the game.
I agree with this statement except for two things:tonights game required some outside shots after some good rotation consistently failed to penetrate a stifling miami defense.jeremiah wood does not have an "s" on the end of his name. :D GO ZIPS!

1. What was up with Quade not playing much? I would've especially had him in at the end, with his great leaping and offensive rebounding ability he would've added the possibility for a put-back had Dru missed. With how he's been playing and what he brings to the table, Quade needs more than 10 MPG. 2. Romeo with a solid game...nothing outstanding, but definitely better. 3. Wood solid also - 9/9 in 23 minutes. I wish Romeo had his aggressiveness down-low. 4. Linhart for 35 minutes, Conyers for 4 minutes? Doesn't make sense to me. Linhart rebounds well and plays solid defense, but I'd like to see closer to a split in those minutes. 5. John Rybak checking in to any game makes me cringe. 6. Is it just me, or has Dials been a disappointment this year? Without looking at his overall numbers, it just seems like he's missing a lot of 3 point looks that I expect him to make. 7. Dru comes through again. I remember seeing him added to the roster his freshman year and wondering if it was more of a favor from Dambrot as anything else. I've never been more wrong in my life on an athlete. He is truly the leader of the team, the best player overall, and the "go-to guy" in clutch situations.

Hope he likes working at Steak N Shake cause that's all he'll ever be with a degree from that alleged school to the east. :lol::screwks:
Are you sure that wasn't their new President you met at S&S? Gotta make some extra money -- and pad the resume! ;) Never had this rivalry in my day -- never played 'em. So let me get with it: :screwks:

Generally agree with the posts...........ZipWatcher told me at the half Miami would "poop out" with 10 minutes left because they only play 5-7 guys................but it didn't happen :blink: That scared me.What's with Nates "spin passes" ? Gawd...........quit that shit already man. :john: Game changing plays...............in the Nevada game it was Rome getting hacked going for the hole...........that turned the game around. Last night it could have been (but it wasn't fortunately) the phantom elbow Nick gave #1. Nick never touched the guy. We were sitting 12 feet from the play..............didn't even hit the guy with the breeze off his arm...........honest. That crappy call resulted in a 4 point swing at a very critical point in the game, and started Miami off on a 6 or 8 point run if my memory is correct. Glad we don't have to sweat too much about that awful call!Someone above mentioned minutes and player combos..............I think KD was searching the whole game for the proper combo of guys on the floor, and finally decided with only a few minutes remaining to go with a hard 3 guard offense.............good thing he did.Last point.............anyone else notice this last night? The officials constantly ate their whistles and looked at each other to make calls..........result? Nobody made any calls. Good news was they were at lease semi-consistent with their weakass performances.

ZipWatcher told me at the half Miami would "poop out" with 10 minutes left because they only play 5-7 guys................but it didn't happen :blink: That scared me.
Well, between 10 minutes & 2 minutes the Zips put some space between them, and with about a minute left, it looked like they were going to end up covering. Pretty hairy last minute.Thoughts:- Defensive intensity was average in the first half, better in the second half.- Foul shooting percentage may have won the game .. for all the complaining about refs, look at what Miami did at the line vs. the Zips. First time all year that won a game for Zips. Hope it's not the last.- One guy still takes too many damn plays off on the defensive side of the ball .. killed us at least 3 times when he gave up EASY looks at the basket to Miami.- #50 on Miami is a real nice player. Reminds me of Reimold from BG. Doesn't look like much, but he can kill you .. I think he's only a Soph. also.- Miami leads the MAC in redheads.- #43 for the Zips was money (nice sign Rowdies) in the second half.- Clutch shot from Dru- ERRONEOUS? Very nice also.

Good posts, just a few other thougts1. Linhart got the bulk of minutes tonight because of how he matched up on Peavy. He and Travis did a great job shutting Peavy down.2. Big shot by Dru. He definitely wants the ball at the end. Why he is so shaky shooting FTs?3. Solid minutes by McKnight.4. 2 games in a row with more turnovers than assists. Not a good trend.5. Moving to the 3 guard offense with about 10 minutes left and playing some zone saved us. 6. Wood looked to be laboring the whole game. I was hurting just watching him run up and down the court. First time I have not seen him wear the knee brace.7. Middleton's minutes have increased beginning in MAC play - 34 for Ohio and 27 tonight. I like the better distribution of minutes with he and Joyce getting more of the minutes at the guard spot.8. Travis worked hard tonight. 9. Politz ate us up last year too. He doesn't look like much but is one of the more underrated players in the league. #24 was a solid guy as well.10. I hate watching Miami and BG games. Miami is like getting a tooth pulled in a slow and agonizing way. BG is like watching paint dry. They will get about 30 FTs with that freaking motion offense and the game will take 2 and 1/2 hours to play.

6.)Winning close games in an exciting fashion is the best thing you could hope for if you want to see people fill the JAR.  They come to see an exciting game, not a blow-out or a loss.  Games like this get people coming back for more.
I dunno. Even if it's not as exciting, sometimes a good hardcore blowout makes you feel all fuzzy inside. :rock:Pwnage is soul therapy

Erroneous! Erroneous on all accounts! Is a quote from the movie wedding crashers when vince vaughn gets mad at his friend owen wilsons character. Just a little background on that sign. We figured that it would make a lot of sense since there was some pretty bad calls.The One hundred dollar bill with Ced Middleton in the middle was something that we came up with went we went to OU. I think it happend when he took a 3 pointer and i screamed at him to hit that C-note. So theres that explaination as well. Thanks for the compliments on the signs. I was hoping they would go over well :screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks: