Kudos to the Rowdies

sgm405

Many of you have seen my posts throughout the year offering what I viewed as constructive criticism of both the AK-Rowdies and the Athletic Department. Different things have bothered me throughout the year - from the shirt rule, to sign-ups being closed, to half of the student section being sold off. I've often voiced my displeasure about things, simply because I want this group to be on and stay on the right track. Some might have viewed my past posts as negative - and maybe I was at times - but for the most part, I was trying to push views and opinions that I felt was for the betterment of the group. Some might have viewed me and others as "Rowdy-bashers"...I've always seen it as trying to help the organization and school that I love. I have always felt that if you're going to talk when you feel like someone is doing things wrong, you should also talk when someone is doing things right. And that is why I want to say this...Thank you to the AK-Rowdies leadership. I had the opportunity to speak with two of the leaders at length about issues, concerns, etc I've had with the group. Some things I now understand, some things I still disagree with. But the important thing to me is that they listened and took what i said into account. My opinions - whether or not they agreed with them - mattered. They took time out of their busy schedules to listen to one of their own. And that's huge. I still worry about some aspects of the group...but I also know that with any new organization, it will take time to grow. And it thrills me that, even though they've had some missteps so far, the Rowdies leadership is aggressively trying to get comments, opinions, suggestions - anything to help build new ideas to further the progress of the group. I don't care if they never do a thing I suggest - what matters to me is that they listened...they're willing to listen to criticism, consider it, and take what they see as the best course of action. That alone gives me great belief in these people in getting the job done. We're all Zips fans and we all take pride in everything associated with the University. While myself and/or others may have come across as "bashing" certain people in the past (Although like I said, I viewed it as constructive criticism), it's all because we want the best for the school, for the teams, and for the student section. Discussion is good...it lets those in power analyze comments/suggestions, which can lead to new and improved ideas. I have always and will always speak my mind when I believe in something, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well. I'm happy to tell you that you have a group of people who would love to get your calls, e-mails, etc and hear what you have to say...so try to contact them if there is something you want to comment on or suggest. I now know firsthand that at the very least, they'll take it into consideration. Whether or not I or others agree with everything that has happened in the past or will agree on everything in the future, it's good to know that we matter to the leaders of the AK-Rowdies...and for that, my friends - I offer a sincere thank you.

The AK-Rowdy leadership has done their best given the circumstances. Becoming an official student organization is no easy task. Once you do so, you effectively give control of the group over to the University, and they decide on the major policies for you. Honestly, I don't think UA liked us when we were just a group of kids who got together to cheer for the Zips. They had no control then. Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me coming out, but I really do think this is an example of the U trying to micro-manage their students' lives even more.I apologize if I may have sounded like a jerk in the past when talking about the Rowdies, but I really want this group to flourish and many decisions made have seemed counter-productive and it's just a little bit frustrating. Plus I would really really really like to join, but have been turned away numerous times even though I offered my time and money. I know that you read this, and I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard trying to make this thing work.