How you guys doing?

PEAYNATION!

Still with your winning ways, I presume?Came back to this board for an update and to see how the Zips were faring in their last few ballgames so please feel free to hit me with some Zip gab. Austin Peay had a nice article about them on Rivals.com and the same article appeared on the front page of Yahoo sports. It's always good to get a little pub and some love.No Seniors article Well, the third longest winning streak in the nation became the second longest winning streak in the nation but that all ended a couple of weeks ago at Murray State in their "revenge" game. Quite frankly, it was simply a case of the Racers needing and desiring a win a whole lot more than the Governors who were sitting on a 2 1/2 game cushion in first place. Subsequently, they traveled to play at TSU which is a place where the Govs always struggle to win. Govs had an 11-0 lead in, like, a minute and one half of the game but TSU fought back in what became an extremely physical contest (TSU has the biggest bodies in the OVC). Despite Drake Reed and Fernandez Lockett being sent to the bench early with foul trouble, the bench came through. The Govs put the game away in the second half with some outstanding defense, rebounding and shooting down the stretch. Lowly Eastern Illinois visited Austin Peay last night. EIU sits in last place but they really have some nice looking individual players. At any rate, the Homocide detectives are still trying to find all the EIU bodies. The Govs put on an offensive assault that the Panthers will not soon forget. Peay wins 98-71. Next up: A rematch showdown on Saturday in Birmingham, AL with second place Samford. The Govs are still 2 games ahead of the Bulldogs but can clinch the OVC regular season title with a win against Samford and against their next opponent, TSU. Sammy has had a week off to prepare for the Govs and the Govs (once again) have only one day to prepare for Sammy's Princeton style offense. The Govs won the first meeting between the two by 18 points but Sammy is a tough nut to crack at home and they will be highly motivated since their backs are against the wall. So, what have the Zips been up to?

Winning.  :D  Nine in a row now...3 big games coming up:  @Toledo (1st in the west), vs. Ohio (only MAC team to beat us) and vs. AP (that's YOU).  Hopefully the Zips have some left after saturday and tuesday...
That's what I thought. What is your record now, 18-4 or something like that? Sorry, too lazy to check myself. ;) Winning streaks are very nice but just be careful that they do not become cumbersome for the team. For weeks, every single newspaper article concerning Austin Peay mentioned "the streak" and I think that can become a burden. The more the Zips win the more your own streak will be mentioned and harped about. I actually think the loss to Murray State took a load off the Governor's shoulders and just allowed them to go out on the court and play ball again. Heck, they had a blast last night and shot nearly 70% from the field (I think it was around 66% for the game and 71% from three in the second half). Uhm, I am not even entertaining the notion that the Govs will shoot nearly that well against an outstanding defense like Akron but, hopefully, they will shoot it reasonably well. Still, I think Drake Reed and Fernandez Lockett down low should be the Zips biggest concern when facing Austin Peay. If the Govs win the regular season OVC title then Drake Reed is almost assured of getting OVC MVP (Lockett has also been mentioned). Anyway, Peay's Todd Babbington has been shooting the ball extremely well and hurting opponents from three land so EIU decided to put a guy on him and not lose sight of him. Their defense never came off Babbington to offer any defensive help and Drake Reed punched them in the gut on the inside and little Landon Shipley came off the bench and torched them with five treys of his own. EIU is one of those teams that plays opponents tough but never seems to win the game. That was Austin Peay's concern last night since the earlier game at their place saw the Govs win in overtime - but last night was simply a massacre. Any concerns about heading into Toledo?

Oh. and I didnt mean to sound snotty with that. The Zips have the best team I've seen since I've been paying attention and it's hard not to gloat sometimes...But here's the recap:Since you last posted, the Zips have continued their winning streak by playing patsies of the Western division of our conference. This year, the East is vastly superior to the West with the exception of Toledo. That being said...The Zips travelled about 3 hours North to play @ the LOVELY Eastern Michigan Eagles' Convocation Center. Probably the best facility in the MAC. It's a shame too, because the drew all of 500 (maybe). They faced a team that had just lost their leading scorer for the remainder of the season with a broken foot in a victory over buffalo in the previous game. That being said, the Zips were comfortably ahead for the majority of the game despite a couple runs by a gritty EMU squad in the second half. Zips were favored by 12.5, won by 10.Next, we faced Ball State at the JAR. Ball State was overmatched from the beginning. A gritty Zips defense shut the Cardinals down on 30% fg shooting. Zips were favored by 19.5, won by 18.Finally, Wednesday we faced the Central Michigan Chippewas, also of the Western division. This game was closer than it should've been. I chalk that up to looking forward to the Toledo game on Saturday. Chips played well, I'll give em that one. Zips controlled the offensive boards in this one and it was probably the difference between a win and a loss. Zips were favored by 19, and won by just 7.Lesson to be learned? It's tough to win at the JAR and take the opponent and the points.GO ZIPS!

Oh. and I didnt mean to sound snotty with that. The Zips have the best team I've seen since I've been paying attention and it's hard not to gloat sometimes...But here's the recap:Since you last posted, the Zips have continued their winning streak by playing patsies of the Western division of our conference. This year, the East is vastly superior to the West with the exception of Toledo. That being said...The Zips travelled about 3 hours North to play @ the LOVELY Eastern Michigan Eagles' Convocation Center. Probably the best facility in the MAC. It's a shame too, because the drew all of 500 (maybe). They faced a team that had just lost their leading scorer for the remainder of the season with a broken foot in a victory over buffalo in the previous game. That being said, the Zips were comfortably ahead for the majority of the game despite a couple runs by a gritty EMU squad in the second half. Zips were favored by 12.5, won by 10.Next, we faced Ball State at the JAR. Ball State was overmatched from the beginning. A gritty Zips defense shut the Cardinals down on 30% fg shooting. Zips were favored by 19.5, won by 18.Finally, Wednesday we faced the Central Michigan Chippewas, also of the Western division. This game was closer than it should've been. I chalk that up to looking forward to the Toledo game on Saturday. Chips played well, I'll give em that one. Zips controlled the offensive boards in this one and it was probably the difference between a win and a loss. Zips were favored by 19, and won by just 7.Lesson to be learned? It's tough to win at the JAR and take the opponent and the points.GO ZIPS!
Nah, I did not take it as sounding "snotty" in the least. You guys have every reason to be extremely proud of the Zips. I don't know how similar the Mid-American is to the OVC in this respect but playing away is always tough and these teams at the bottom of the conference can sneak up and take a bite. They see a first place team come to their arena and they get pumped. The Zips probably walk into every game with a big bullseye on their backs. The Murray game meant so much to Murray that when they won they danced on their center court and some of them were doing the Lambo leap into their student section ---- for a regular season game with not much at stake. :wave:

I cant talk smack here...until gameday. The folks flaming on here aren't really flaming...they're nice folks. Respectful and realistic. They dont come into this game expecting to win (like Ohio still does :lol: ) But they do expect a game, which is fine. Perhaps it's better this way, then come a week from Saturday all my vicious insults and smack talk will flow to the coaches and AP team members on the floor. GO ZIPS!!!

Winning streaks are very nice but just be careful that they do not become cumbersome for the team. For weeks, every single newspaper article concerning Austin Peay mentioned "the streak" and I think that can become a burden.
The streak isn't big news yet, but I still worry about long winning streaks causing a team to believe they are better then they actually are and therefore the team on a winning streak lets up on intensity. On the other side all the opponents of a team on a winning streak try extra hard to beat you as they want to be the ones to end the streak! If we can keep the streak intact until we play you we will hit 11 just like AP. I was pulling for AP to continue their streak with the hopes that both teams would be on a winning streak when they met (assuming we can keep ours alive too). I will pull for AP to win every game but against Akron, with the hope that it will strengthen your RPI.I was in college when Akron was in the OVC and remember playing AP and Middle Tenn. It will be a turn back the clock day for me. I'll have to wear my old moving "A" sweatshirt, although I don't recall if those came out after we left the OVC or not. I think maybe they came out during our last year in the OVC.

Best of luck with Toledo tonight. I understand there are two divisions in the MAC but you are essentially playing the second place team. Austin Peay played an early afternoon game today against 2nd place Samford and came away with the victory 52-50. Beat them by 18 in Clarksville and had an early 10 point advantage today in Birmingham but Samford's backs were against the wall and they fought hard playing in their place where they do very well. First half was the Drake Reed and Todd Babbington Show. The second half was all Fernandez Lockett. Had a one hand putback slam where it was described that half his arm was above the bankshot box. That's why they call him "The Rocket." Very disturbing stat though: The Govs were outrebounded on the offensive boards by a team that is one of the worst rebounding teams in the OVC. This has happened a couple of times lately and needs to end. The Govs certainly cannot allow a team like Akron get second and third chances. Of course, many of these rebounds today were long boards since Samford plays the Princeton style and shoots mostly threes. Anyway, with a win Monday night against TSU, the Govs win the OVC regular season title outright. Akron can make its own statement tonight and I hope you do so. Toledo sucks! GO ZIPS! Hehe.

Well, Zips, sorry to hear that you dropped the game at Toledo but, you know, it happens. Perhaps the loss will have the same effect it had on Austin Peay when their winning streak came to an end at Murray State. Perhaps the loss will serve to reenergize the Zips and perhaps they will be propeled to play their most inspired ball to date. Austin Peay has won all their contests since the Murray loss and have indeed played some of the best ball of the year. The Governors played their final game before the matchup with the Zips in Akron. An 89-44 victory over Tennessee State in Clarksville. The victory ensures the Govs of the #1 seed in the OVC tournament. Uhm, it was an absolute mauling from the start and saw the Govs shoot over 65% from the field and outscore the much bigger TSU team 28-8 in the paint. TSU is the only common opponent with respects to the MAC and OVC insofar as I have been able to find. TSU defeated Ball State earlier in the season in Nashville by 9 points. Akron defeated Ball State in Akron by 18. Austin Peay defeated TSU by 9 in Nashville and then by 45 last night. But, you know, Austin Peay is like Akron in that they very rarely lose at home. What does this mean? Probably nothing. Good luck with Ohio and hope you guys get revenge. OU SUCKS! :gun:

Well, Zips, sorry to hear that you dropped the game at Toledo but, you know, it happens. Perhaps the loss will have the same effect it had on Austin Peay when their winning streak came to an end at Murray State. Perhaps the loss will serve to reenergize the Zips and perhaps they will be propeled to play their most inspired ball to date. Austin Peay has won all their contests since the Murray loss and have indeed played some of the best ball of the year. The Governors played their final game before the matchup with the Zips in Akron. An 89-44 victory over Tennessee State in Clarksville. The victory ensures the Govs of the #1 seed in the OVC tournament. Uhm, it was an absolute mauling from the start and saw the Govs shoot over 65% from the field and outscore the much bigger TSU team 28-8 in the paint. TSU is the only common opponent with respects to the MAC and OVC insofar as I have been able to find. TSU defeated Ball State earlier in the season in Nashville by 9 points. Akron defeated Ball State in Akron by 18. Austin Peay defeated TSU by 9 in Nashville and then by 45 last night. But, you know, Austin Peay is like Akron in that they very rarely lose at home. What does this mean? Probably nothing. Good luck with Ohio and hope you guys get revenge. OU SUCKS! :gun:
Peay, you're a true southern gentleman! :wave: You never find that type of class coming from an OU type.