Campus Closed at 3 Today?

jeaglet1

Here is the email sent on campus about the game: Men's game tonight versus Ohio still to be played The men's basketball game between The University of Akron and Ohio University is still scheduled to be played Tuesday night, with tip-off set for 7 p.m. at James A. Rhodes Arena. The contest will remain as scheduled for a number of factors. First, Ohio University's basketball team arrived safely in Akron Monday night. Second, the Mid-American Conference office assigned officials in the Akron area to the game, and the group will not have travel issues. Third, it was determined that Ohio's and Akron's remaining schedules do not present an opportunity for a make-up contest. The University of Akron encourages all fans who will be attending to please allow for extra travel time and use caution when driving. For the convenience of those who will be attending, sidewalks, roads and parking lots near the arena will be cleared. Also, any fan who attends tonight's Akron-Ohio U. men's basketball game will be able to purchase a general admission ticket for Saturday's Bracket Buster game versus Austin Peay for $5 with a ticket stub from tonight's contest. (The Akron-Austin Peay game will begin at 5 p.m. and be televised on ESPNU.) Tonight's game will be telecast locally on Time Warner Cable on channel 23. Also, the game will be broadcast on the Akron ISP Sport Network on 1350 AM (Akron) and 1300 AM (Cleveland). Also, live stats will be available for free on GoZips.com, while a webcast is available through the ZipsZone on a subscription basis.

I'm a season ticket holder and haven't missed a home game in 2 years, but there's no way I'm trying to go up today, the roads down here in Canton are abysmal (for you OU fans that means really bad) irregardless of the TV availability. Those who can make it please give Bubba the crap he so richly deserves.

I'm a season ticket holder and haven't missed a home game in 2 years, but there's no way I'm trying to go up today, the roads down here in Canton are abysmal (for you OU fans that means really bad) irregardless of the TV availability. Those who can make it please give Bubba the crap he so richly deserves.
Crap. This is what i'm scared of. Those that dont live within a three mile radius of campus will have a very difficult and dangerous time getting to the JAR. The interstates and sr 8 should be fine, but getting to and from them will likely be the problem. Ticket office says there's about 1,500 tickets available to be sold. That means probably about 2,000 people show. That doesnt lend itself to home court advantage. I'm guessing i'm not going to have a voice by the second half. I'll cheer extra loud to make up for your absence, doccomet87.

I'll try to go, but my window in KNCL faces out toward downtown and the streets I can see look bad. 77 this morning coming from Fairlawn was not great either, and that was with only a little snow so far. Mentioning the TV broadcast is probably a good thing at least from the standpoint of not telling people that if they want to see the game, they'll have to come in person. Playing devil's advocate: OU coming up yesterday is weird. How much school are they going to miss? Their being in town basically forced the game to be played, regardless of conditions. (Governor Strickland and ODOT are pleading with people to go home and stay there, but the #1 reason for not delaying the game by even 24 or 48 hours is that OU's here already.) The attendance will probably be very, very low, which is bad for the Zips but probably means that most folks are heeding the warnings and just avoiding trouble on the road.

I also live in the Canton area,around Belden Village. I am still debating making the attempt. If I go , I will have to leave here by 4:00 P.M. I am starting to lean towards not going. This is terrible. I was on the Bobcat message board and saw a post by someone who claims is a UA faculty member who happens to be an OU grad. He stated that he ran intoDambrot today at the JAR and he is very upset about having to play this game, knowing the Jar have very few people

Not sure I understand why the game can't be moved to tomorrow night? A Buffalo game was delayed by a day a few weeks ago. Akron and OU both aren't scheduled to play again until Saturday (OK, OU does have to fly to New Mexico). I don't buy the bit about "Third, it was determined that Ohio and Akron’s remaining schedules do not present an opportunity for a make-up contest." I'll be leaving plenty early from Norton in an all-wheel-drive van and most likely will stop to pick up two other season ticket holders who wouldn't otherwise take the chance. Driving was slow coming home from work in Montrose but very doable if you simply slow down and leave plenty of time to get there and plenty of distance between vehicles. Bummer that we may lose some of the home-court advantage for such a fun game.