Another plus about the game in cleveland is..

timmyboy

The UA-Army game will be televised on ESPN.Anderson (army AD and Cleveland native) said the deal also includes streaming the game live on the Internet, which will allow servicemen and women to watch the game via the Web.The article says that the game is going to be shown on ESPN as part of the agreement to play it at cleveland stadium. This is a huge plus for this game, because the more national exposure we get the better the recruiting will be. Now lets just hope we are ready to play that game and we can pull out a Win.

I thought that the coverage yesterday on the local news was good. I liked hearing "The University of Akron" or "Akron" mentioned numerous times. Channel 3 also interviewed JD about Charlie (vs Brady) while he was at Browns Stadium. Also, the Browns sent Patriot Bowl ticket information to the Browns Backers Worldwide and to their season ticket holders.

The article says that the game is going to be shown on ESPN as part of the agreement to play it at cleveland stadium. This is a huge plus for this game, because the more national exposure we get the better the recruiting will be.
Excellent news indeed!! That means Pro #6 from a previous thread is a check!
Pros1) Zip supporters have shown in recent years that they will travel (in numbers) relatively short distances, particularly to neutral sites such as Detroit and Cleveland.2) ARMY presents both a recognizable name and a beatable opponent. I agree with many who have opined that we should have no reason to EXPECT to beat them (after all, I think we’re WINLESS in the all-time series), but it should nevertheless be a game that the Zips have a legitimate shot of winning.3) I’m borrowing this one from somebody else, but I agree that letting the kids play at a professional facility provides a psychological boost.4) I won’t have to wait in line for an hour and a half for a mediocre (if I’m lucky) hot dog.5) I can buy beer!6) Associating the game with Labor Day weekend helps to reinforce the patriotic theme. I haven’t heard anything yet about possible TV coverage, but I have to believe that the combination of service academy involvement and holiday timing will make for a good event to carry.7) In terms of exposure, the MAC has benefited largely from end of the season events, such as the MAC Championship and Motor City Bowl. Placing this game at the beginning of the season could help get that exposure started earlier.

I didn't really like the article. It was too biased toward Army I thought. Quote from their coach saying that he thinks the crowd will be more in favor of Akron at first, but they will begin cheering for Army before the game is over. I just didn't like how it sounded.

I'm going to disagree with the statement that "Akron fans have shown a willingness to travel in large numbers".Folks, that happened when we were playing for a championship.In general, we only have a small group of people going to most of our road games, unless its at Can't. This is a season opener, with no bearing at all on anything. I'm not foreseeing a fan response anything close to a MAC title game, or bowl game.

Also, the Browns sent Patriot Bowl ticket information to the Browns Backers Worldwide and to their season ticket holders.
They must have done a marketing deal with UA where they swap season ticket holder names... I got a season ticket flyer from the Browns and have never before received anything from them. If this is true, I'd say it's a good plan... more exposure for UA in the Cleveland metro area.

I'm going to disagree with the statement that "Akron fans have shown a willingness to travel in large numbers".Folks, that happened when we were playing for a championship.In general, we only have a small group of people going to most of our road games, unless its at Can't. This is a season opener, with no bearing at all on anything. I'm not foreseeing a fan response anything close to a MAC title game, or bowl game.
I was to chicken to say it but I think you are right sir. And last season was disappointing. People will sit at home and casually watch it on ESPN. Damn that pisses me off, I guess I am kinda jealous living here in Columbus I see the amount of fan support the buckeyes have and wish my zips had a 1/4 of that following. Sometimes I feel like it's just me and the family and friends I drag to the games.

Unfortunatley, I agree with SkipZip. If you factor in all of the events already occuring in Cleveland and everything else happening in the area for the Labor Day weekend, it is not going to draw as many people as many of you are hoping to see at the game. Regrettably, my wife & I will not be at the game due to a wedding. Can you believe someone I know is actually getting married on the first weekend of college football? But is family, so we must attend.Also, an earlier posting made mention that they seemed to think ticket prices were a bit too high. Take a look at what all the other universities are charging and you'll see that we really are getting a break. It also looks like they plan on sit people only on the lower level. That makes sense, just for the tv exposure.

But let me add one more thing and say that I really hope that I am wrong on this one. It would be a little disheartening to see Akron on ESPN with only 5,000 people in an 80,000 seat stadium. With all factors considered, I am just not too optimistic.Heck, I am even going to have to skip out on a yearly out-of-town Labor Day family function to get to go to this one.

Let's hope ESPN can use the same, clever camera angles that they use in the MACC game. Everytime I watch my recorded copy of the 2005 game, I'm amazed that it's the same game that I attended. You don't see large expanses of blue nearly as often on TV (although, these tricks do seem to be more difficult to "pull off" outdoors, and with screaming orange seats for that matter).Are we allowed to bring cardboard cutouts? If each of us were to bring, say 5 a piece, the place might look relatively full :D Plus, the TV audience might catch a glimpse of some pretty interesting characters in the stands, if we use our imaginations. I'm thinking that a General Patton with an "Eat 'em up Zips" balloon might be appropriate.Here's the way I look at it. Is Army the perfect draw? No. Are the tickets a little pricy for the token Zip fan? Probably. BUT, at least this is a little different way to kick off the season. Acme-Zip used to be the focus and that has long since passed. Can this really be any worse than opening up with, say Middle Tennesee, in the Rubber Bowl? We're sort of in a bit of a holding pattern here, between stadiums. I think something like this is worth a shot. Who knows, maybe the modest momentum that the entire athletic program has been riding lately will result in a decent, if not terrific, turnout.One other point I'd like to make. I really cringe when I hear talk about needing to "blow out" an opponent, in particular one that handed you your lunch at YOUR place in the last meeting and one that you have never defeated before. I'll gladly "settle" for a Zip win before a crowd of 15K or better.