New Stadium!

Hey we actually got some more media attention than usual! The PD and Crain's Cleveland Business both actually did articles.... I'm in shock."To see a football stadium on campus, it's like, Wow, we are the University of Akron,' " said sophomore Britney Sage of Copley Township, who has watched the university transform these last seven years. "We're really changing. . . . shedding our old reputation." (PD article)http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...4120.xml&coll=2http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.d...48&Profile=1048
The PD article is titled "Akron U. to build stadium." :chair: They got it right in the article itself, though.

The PD article is titled "Akron U. to build stadium."  :chair: They got it right in the article itself, though.
Several of the news stations have been calling it Akron U as well.
I can understand using it in a headline (particularly when they get it right in the article) because space is so important, they often slander words and grammar, but you would think that aside from this, media and journalists would get it right.One additional note, I found this quote, which made me scoff at first, but then I remembered there will be classrooms in the stadium
Curtis said there wouldn't be any problems acquiring the land because it is for "educational purposes."
I think the property owners better settle up quick. If they wait for eminent domain, they could lose out.

One additional note, I found this quote, which made me scoff at first, but then I remembered there will be classrooms in the stadium
Curtis said there wouldn't be any problems acquiring the land because it is for "educational purposes."
I think the property owners better settle up quick. If they wait for eminent domain, they could lose out.
Yea, I saw that too. I imagine that classrooms were added and retail space was eliminated to help facilitate eminent domain. I don't feel good about the whole eminent domain thing, but realize everyone has an agenda, and UA is doing what it needs to, no matter how questionable it is, to get what they want.

I've been looking over the renderings of the stadum more, and I continue to be impressed with what I see here are a few of the things I like.1) I think they've done a good idea integrating the stadium with the rest of campus and with the history of the city. The dorms continue the design seen on campus (Honors Dorms, Exchange Street Dorms). In addition, the Stadium Press Tower incorporates the "Tire Factory" look into the exterior design.Dorms:StadiumAerial.jpgHonorsRetail.jpgFactory Similarity--lower part of Press Tower:_Building-25.jpgStadiumPressTower.jpg2) The second thing I'm impressed with, is that despite the fact the stadium won't be a bowl, it will still feel enclosed, IMO, giving an atmosphere similar to a bowl. Miami has partially achieved this by adding the mega scoreboard to the endzone, but you can still see the fields beyond the stadium. I like how the new stadium is enclosed on one end by the fieldhouse, the other end by the scoreboard, and has the dorms wrappnig around the visitors side. StadiumNorthWestConcourse.jpg3) I like the attention to details. The bridge to the fieldhouse ,the design of the entrance gates, the concourse under the home stands, the details on the concession stands, the abundance of flags and the banners. I expect to see all of these details in the finished stadium. StadiumSouthWestCorner.jpg4) I like how imposing the Press Tower looks. Great job of designing in pleanty of vertical lines to draw your eye upward, making the stadium look taller than it is. I hope that the University routes the visiting fans round the front of the stadium to show how impressive it is. Again, great job, very impressive.

The more I look around the plans on the University's Website, the more I get the feeling that the dorms surrounding the stadium may not be ready by the same time the stadium is...if at all.

Cost for the Football Facility Alone: $55 million
And even then, they are still about $8 million short. While I am sure that last $8 mil will fall in place as the construction starts, I cannot find any mention of funding for the dorms that surround the stadium drawing. Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but has anybody found anything mentioning the cost for the dorms and their expected completion date?

The total project IIRC is around $120 million, making the dorms around $75 million. I thought I heard soemthing about them looking for funding for that part of the project, so I think you are correct that that part will not be ready in '09 when the stadium opens. That also allows more time for the aquisition of the remaining parcels as it seems they only affect the dorms and not the stadium.

It looks as if UA might be able to build the stadium with The Odd Corner and the Sun still in place. Sure, this would put the skids on the front gate, but I'm sure the other gates can be used in place of the main gate. Does anyone know if this is the case? It seems to me to be a pretty big gamble to start building a stadium with the possability of not being acquire all the land.

It looks as if UA might be able to build the stadium with The Odd Corner and the Sun still in place. Sure, this would put the skids on the front gate, but I'm sure the other gates can be used in place of the main gate. Does anyone know if this is the case? It seems to me to be a pretty big gamble to start building a stadium with the possability of not being acquire all the land.
Are you nuts?If I was the owner of those places, I wouldn't want to have to face 'clientèle' that knew my greedy ass practically put the kibosh on their's new stadium and dorms. :gun: