College Town

"is a direct hit on our revenue stream." The DonIs he really just worried that he is no longer the most powerful man in town?! (And that his paycheck might get hurt.)Dr. P understands that UA will save downtown. "It's a new day," Proenza said. "They're anchor institutions, they're steadying . . . They're the biggest economic drivers for a city." As someone that has worked downtown for the last three years, I have to say the more UA moves this direction, the better.

I applaud the Plain Dealer for writing an article about Akron. But there are some things that bother me.-first, they interviewed a visiting student from FINDLAY? Please explain to me why he should even care?-The Mayor's response has been really shocking. You would think he'd support UA trying to do something in this town. -God, I love Dr. Proenza.-And once again, no one mentions that the Downtown hotel market has been soft for years. -One thing that kills me about Akron is that people have this idea that Manufacturing=GOOD, Higher Education=BAD. The days of old-school manufacturing aren't coming back, folks. There's no shame in being a college town- Akron should aspire to do so.

I too found the student from Findlay as a source interesting. It is soon just going to be the City of Akron University. WTF?Help me understand why a student who foresake the school in his hometown to go to another school in a town that would hardly exist with out the school. As for losing $400 million in revenue from the hotel -- c'mon Don what are you smoking? If the hotel was making money for the owners there is no way they would have sold the hotel at all. This is kind of how the world works -- it is called free enterprise. Free enterprise is where the government doesn't decide how thing work it's the people spending the money that decide. There are plenty of hotel from Green to Fairlawn to Boston Heights for people to stay at.

If you take a look at the history you will see that Akron is a city of invention and reinvention. this city can proudly lay claim to afordable toys, police cars, and of course tires, (only to name a few things) Akron has constantly created new jobs for people in times of need and has seen it's up's and down's now Akron is once again reinventing herself and she is going to be a college town and at long last Akron will have a permanent fixture.

Hmmm, that article did seem to make UA out to be this unstoppable growth that will soon take over the city. I agree with what most here said, UA is THE driving force in the city right now. I firmly believe that a city without a strong university is bound to wither and die. UA is not just strong, it's thriving and is in need of room to grow. The city should be glad the UA is willing to step up to make over the areas surrounding campus. As for the $400,000,000. That probably includes every dollar that can in any way be connected back to Quaker Square. A new hotel will be built, downtown will become more vibrant, and Akron will be a better city for it. Lets face it, Mayor Don is struggling to stay relevant in Akron.

Bottom line is Akron is figuring out (whether they like it or not) that in this part of the country the single biggest economic booster right now is a large, strong university within the city. Columbus (I hate to admit it) has figured this out and has avoided a lot of the economic problems the rest of the state has been facing. Cincy, Toledo and Akron are all playing catch up, but they seem to have figured it out. Cleveland remains blissfully ignorant to this trend and spirals further and further downhill by the day as a result.

Terry Pluto leaving the ABJ could help us solidify our own identity as a bonafide college town. We need a featue sports writer who's primary passion is for Akron and The UA. Not the Cleveland Browns. Not the Cleveland Indians. Not the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hopefully this move will help solidify more coverage of OUR team!

Terry Pluto leaving the ABJ could help us solidify our own identity as a bonafide college town. We need a featue sports writer who's primary passion is for Akron and The UA. Not the Cleveland Browns. Not the Cleveland Indians. Not the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hopefully this move will help solidify more coverage of OUR team!
I have no problem covering the pro sports teams twenty odd miles to the north.I have no problem with a writer who only covers pro sports teams.But I agree, it's beyond negligent to poorly and scarcely cover the local University, you'd virtually have to consciously conspire not to.