City of Akron Arena?

userduders

Sorry, but there is no clear trend that UA is growing into downtown. That's a fallacy contrived by city hall and more.
Jake, your Ohio.com colors are showing.
Sorry, but a few on this site are just as dishonest and trollish as those on Ohio.com. Like popeye, I yam what I yam. I have no intention of changing or adapting.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - AristotleJake, since are you claiming about dishonesty and trollishness I figured it important to point some things out. All you have done since being on here is contradict what people say by calling them a liar. You have yet to entertain anyone's idea but your own.Most of us have had this conversation for years. The truth is that the University is growing to the west. We have Polsky, a parking deck, a parking lot, CBA, and the dumpy building next to it, and Quaker. By denying the fact that we are expanding our borders to Main St. you deny anything that the school has done in the last 20 years. You seem to be greatly against expansion. If like minded people had existed in the 60's we wouldn't have buildings on the other side of Exchange. In order for the school to get bigger and better it has to expand. To deny the school's true boundaries (not the shaded map, or you own imaginary perimeter) is to hold the school back. You proposed a lot of similar size to what the JAR sits on now. That is an interesting concept, but parking on campus is at a true premium. With increased residential students parking will be at an even higher premium. Both lots you have mentioned are under consideration for parking decks due to the 400-800 new students who will be living in the Stadium Megaplex. But again, I can only anticipate you calling me a liar and a troll because my opinion differs from your own. So Bilbo, continue having fun using the word conspicuous and screaming that an arena in the middle of all the beautiful green space that is being created is the only way we will ever have a good program and move on. You disregard so many other examples to the contrary it is amazing.
The only person who is a liar on this site is you. You lie when you say I'm against UA expanding. And you lie when you say Canal Park and downtown are on campus. You also lie when you say that I only consider my opinion. If you read my posts instead of lie about them you would know you are wrong. You lie when you say that no one will come to a UA campus concert and that there is no more room for building an arena on campus. You lie when you purposely ignore the fact that UA is expanding south of East Exchange even after I pointed that fact out originally. Let me make this clearer. YOU ARE A BIG FAT TROLLISH LIAR!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But again, I can only anticipate you calling me a liar and a troll because my opinion differs from your own.
The only person who is a liar on this site is you. You lie when you say I'm against UA expanding. And you lie when you say Canal Park and downtown are on campus. You also lie when you say that I only consider my opinion. If you read my posts instead of lie about them you would know you are wrong. You lie when you say that no one will come to a UA campus concert and that there is no more room for building an arena on campus. You lie when you purposely ignore the fact that UA is expanding south of East Exchange even after I pointed that fact out originally. Let me make this clearer. YOU ARE A BIG FAT TROLLISH LIAR!
Thanks for proving my point. :rolleyes: If anyone else needs me I will be working for Miss Cleo. :wave::wave:

Plus the 22 Exchange student apts.; also we will be heavily involved in the BioInnovation Inst. in the downtown/Market medical corridor. Why would we not want to expand and spruce up wherever we can? Should we stay away from cruddy Spicertown rather than go in and renovate? I like the idea of keeping the athletic facilities together but I also don't think they would put anything further into the core of the (academic) campus re: Memorial Hall site.
Exactly, the University is a driving factor for the city and the city is a driving factor for the University. It's foolish to think the two are seperate entities. People who treat them as such are stuck in an era that is completely backward thinking.Hell within the next 5-10 years we are going to have a distance learning center in Barberton and improvements to the Holmes County Campus are being shaped up. My original proposal for the arena was diagonally from The Info (getting rid of the plasma center). However that appears extremely unlikely. But again, expansion happens on the borders. As far I'm concerned I want to see the campus stretch from Thornton to Market and Rt 8 to Main. Obviously with certain exceptions for existing established and respectable properties but overall that is the acreage I see the campus eventually utilizing. Also I am one who believes that the cost burden for something that benefits everyone should not be taken on by a single entity. The Arena will benefit everyone, and should have all parties (University, City, and County) footing the bill. Ultimately it should be University ran ala EJ Thomas but it should be for the entire community and located as such. Somewhere on the campus border that invites people to experience The University of Akron and the culture of the City of Akron.
The University of Akron is a driving force for the NE, Ohio region not downtown Akron. And downtown is not a driving force for a major research university for Northern Ohio. The downtown area and the campus are actually two different entities and they need to stay that way if either wants to maintain any amount of credibility. It's called boundaries and healthy communities have them. UA has become and is becoming a pedestrian friendly place to be. In fact it is billed as THE PLACE TO BE. It is growing academically, and physically. The campus boundaries are expanding to the south, east and north. You want to turn it back into the hilltop high it once was with cars and busses traveling through it and where an objective viewer can't even tell he is on a campus. Partnering with the city and being the city's whore are two different things. The arena will benefit everyone just as the university itself benefits everyone. And BTW, UA's PAH is owned and operated solely by UA. It is not shared with the city and UA bears 100% of its financial burden. The arena, like the stadium can be on the east end of campus and serve students and community members alike. The idea of the $$$ burden being shared comes in the form of people purchasing naming rights and making contributions to the arena just as they do with the stadium and just as they do with everything else on the expanding UA campus (trees, benches, commons, labyrinth, fountains etc.) Downtown is not a part of the new landscape for learning. And, I have considered a plethora of other sites for the arena, even those that wern't very pleasing to me. And now I'm done considering and I've made up my mind. It doesn't have to be exactly where I want it on campus but it must be conspicuously in the heart of the campus. So, I am proud to admit that yes, I will no longer consider any input regarding an off-campus arena. And, change the heading for this discussion to "University of Akron on-campus arena".And, G-mann needs to change his name to "Shyster-mann". His card can read: "I teach the art of the hustle and sell snake oil".

This once intelligent discussion has been hijacked and reduced to hyperbolic name calling. This is very disappointing. Generally the discussions on ZipsNation are even-handed when differing opinions are given on issues and travel a much higher road than the road to which this thread has descended.If I might try to restore some level-headed conversation, Jake, I see your point and find it very interesting. I've always been in the camp that believes the U should try to help downtown - a symbiotic relationship, if you will - and a downtown arena would do just that. We are in a different position that most urban campuses in that our campus lies adjacent with the downtown area.However, you maintain that the U should look out for Number One first, foremost and exclusively. However, by doing so, this will have the eventual consequence of indirectly revitalizing downtown Akron by building a stronger UA campus. Very good point and, I believe, worthy of much discussion!!!Jake, do you want to see a more vibrant downtown Akron? One of your comments above left me with the feeling that, though you love UA, you couldn't care less if downtown thrived, or not. Your answer to this question might help others on the board better understand your point of view - not that it is wrong, or right, just like g-mann is neither wrong, nor right. This board is for intelligent debate & discussion - what fun is it if everyone agreed on everything?For me, downtown Akron is one BIG reason I am so interested in UA athletics. I do want to see a more vibrant downtown - a downtown that Akron residents and Summit County residents are proud of. I want to see Akronites proud to be Akronites, and I feel a strong UA, a strong U athletics program and a vibrant downtown are all pieces of that puzzle. And when I think of UA and downtown Akron working together on a project for the good of both parties, well, I like the idea.

Plus the 22 Exchange student apts.; also we will be heavily involved in the BioInnovation Inst. in the downtown/Market medical corridor. Why would we not want to expand and spruce up wherever we can? Should we stay away from cruddy Spicertown rather than go in and renovate? I like the idea of keeping the athletic facilities together but I also don't think they would put anything further into the core of the (academic) campus re: Memorial Hall site.
Exactly, the University is a driving factor for the city and the city is a driving factor for the University. It's foolish to think the two are seperate entities. People who treat them as such are stuck in an era that is completely backward thinking.Hell within the next 5-10 years we are going to have a distance learning center in Barberton and improvements to the Holmes County Campus are being shaped up. My original proposal for the arena was diagonally from The Info (getting rid of the plasma center). However that appears extremely unlikely. But again, expansion happens on the borders. As far I'm concerned I want to see the campus stretch from Thornton to Market and Rt 8 to Main. Obviously with certain exceptions for existing established and respectable properties but overall that is the acreage I see the campus eventually utilizing. Also I am one who believes that the cost burden for something that benefits everyone should not be taken on by a single entity. The Arena will benefit everyone, and should have all parties (University, City, and County) footing the bill. Ultimately it should be University ran ala EJ Thomas but it should be for the entire community and located as such. Somewhere on the campus border that invites people to experience The University of Akron and the culture of the City of Akron.
Great post!!!!There are good arguments for each location. There are also plenty of BCS basketball programs (quickly, Michigan and West Virginia come to mind) that have their arena off-campus or on a far edge of campus. Comparing Rubber Bowl vs. Info to downtown vs. "on-campus" is just not vaild. If Akron is to become big time, there is nothing about the downtown location that is not comparable to so many other universities when it comes to where the arena is vs. where the students live.

Count me among those who want to see both the University of Akron and City of Akron be successful. If they can work together to be successful together, all the better. Same for all of us here who care enough about the issue to want to see the best happen. No one's honest opinion is a lie or trolling to me.I really don't have a dog in this fight. Wherever the Zips play basketball, I'll be there. I'm open to all possibilities. For example, while the concept of having a new basketball facility on campus makes more sense than having a multipurpose arena miles away, there are potential locations adjacent to the campus that would be about as easy for many resident students to walk to as some potential locations just inside the campus boundaries.Whatever turns out to be the best overall solution for all parties is just fine with me.

• 4 weeks later...
The Perkins St area was something I thought the University could use for further expansion. Primarily medical research. But the city had bought up all that land for Fred Martin Chevy, so the chances of that...who knows with the current state of GM whether Fred Marting will need to expand or not now.Part of the Mill St lot is promised to the city (part of the Quaker deal).The Central Hower lot will not be availabe anytime soon. As much as the APS needs money, they are still considering it as a possible site for a STEM high school. It is based off of how the STEM middle school does. If I ran the school board, East would have been closed and combined with North, a new school would have been built over the football field, baseball field, and track. Central would have been sold off to the University. East and Goodyear would have been put on the auction block for developers. Now you wiped a ton operations costs off your budget. Plus income of several million dollars for the property you sold. They are being stupid by keeping open schools that they closed for other programs. "Gee I don't know why we have to lay off more teachers" probably because you spent 3 times the salary of 40 teachers operating buildings you don't need.Just because the Kaiser building is being renovated doesn't mean the area between it and the Mayflower isn't usable. The fact is, there is plenty of land between those two areas to build an arena.
The Quaker Square deal is off the table since UA has decided to run a hotel for the city indefinitely instead of for two years. Included in that former deal was to build an arena downtown. So, that is off the table too. Again, there is plenty of room for legitimate campus expansion for an on-campus arena east of InfoCision, south of Jackson Field and already established campus property. North of Mill Street is also feasible but UA must make that area unified and connected to the REAL campus in a very visual and unarguable way. Also, another option would be to make major renovations and an expansion of Rhodes Arena that would truly make it a multi-purpose, state-of-the-art arena. The project can begin immediately following the basketball season and would likely go into the next season totally or partially. Until it is completed, UA can have its games in Memorial Hall. They can open up the back end that was once filled with bleachers and hold off on its demolition and construction of a new College of Education Building on the footprint until a rededicated, enlarged and enhanced Rhodes Arena is completed. It makes economic sense and keeps all of UA's athletic, physical education and recreation facilities in one unified campus location. As I said, there are a lot of campus locations for a new arena. We don't need to nor should we go downtown which will always bee seen as OFF-CAMPUS. Screw The Polsky Building!

I fail to see where Jake is coming from in his arguement. Bringing students downtown is good for downtown. I, and so many other CBA students have given downtoan Akron so much business because it's so close to class.Is that why you're upset about expanding west? More students will hang out downtown because of this?

This once intelligent discussion has been hijacked and reduced to hyperbolic name calling. This is very disappointing. Generally the discussions on ZipsNation are even-handed when differing opinions are given on issues and travel a much higher road than the road to which this thread has descended.If I might try to restore some level-headed conversation, Jake, I see your point and find it very interesting. I've always been in the camp that believes the U should try to help downtown - a symbiotic relationship, if you will - and a downtown arena would do just that. We are in a different position that most urban campuses in that our campus lies adjacent with the downtown area.However, you maintain that the U should look out for Number One first, foremost and exclusively. However, by doing so, this will have the eventual consequence of indirectly revitalizing downtown Akron by building a stronger UA campus. Very good point and, I believe, worthy of much discussion!!!Jake, do you want to see a more vibrant downtown Akron? One of your comments above left me with the feeling that, though you love UA, you couldn't care less if downtown thrived, or not. Your answer to this question might help others on the board better understand your point of view - not that it is wrong, or right, just like g-mann is neither wrong, nor right. This board is for intelligent debate & discussion - what fun is it if everyone agreed on everything?For me, downtown Akron is one BIG reason I am so interested in UA athletics. I do want to see a more vibrant downtown - a downtown that Akron residents and Summit County residents are proud of. I want to see Akronites proud to be Akronites, and I feel a strong UA, a strong U athletics program and a vibrant downtown are all pieces of that puzzle. And when I think of UA and downtown Akron working together on a project for the good of both parties, well, I like the idea.
A symbiotic relationship has always been seen as a sick/co-dependent relationship. It accomplishes nothing but doom. UA needs to be distinct from downtown and downtown needs to be distinct from UA. This is the hallmark of functional entities. Otherwise, both entities look cheap and tawdry. Each needs to stand on its own integrity and not fool the population into believing one is the other. We don't need either entity to be propped up by a shell game. Ohio Sate is smack in the middle of Columbus and anyone who can see will tell you they know what, where and who is The Ohio State University. If UA wants to be taken seriously, then it should not be enmeshed or confused with downtown Akron. If downtown Akron wants to be taken seriously, it should not be enmeshed or confused with the UA campus. Riding on coat tails is the hallmark of a Hooterville-like community that was once UA and the city of Akron. We need those days to stay in the past. One of the trustees at UA stated that the problem with the campus is that people do not know where it starts and where it ends and that statement kicked off "the landscape for learning" at UA which transformed the campus into a real university with real boundaries that tell the entire community and region (and not just downtown) "welcome, this is where you are." A downtown arena will take this effort backward. Let UA be UA and downtown be downtown and screw the Polsky Building and your contrived perception of what this blog is all about. This blog is a means to an end and not an end in itself. Get over your blog!!!

I fail to see where Jake is coming from in his arguement. Bringing students downtown is good for downtown. I, and so many other CBA students have given downtoan Akron so much business because it's so close to class.Is that why you're upset about expanding west? More students will hang out downtown because of this?
I fail to see your point. What makes you think that it is the UA's job to get students to go downtown? And, what makes you think that UA staying UA and having healthy visual boundaries doens't already bring students downtown? UA is here to support Northern Ohio and the ENTIRE Akron community. To be obsessed with "downtown Akron" is parochial and narrow. It is no university's purpose to directly enhance a downtown region at the expense of its mission. Broaden your horizons and stop thinking micro downtown Akron.

Count me among those who want to see both the University of Akron and City of Akron be successful. If they can work together to be successful together, all the better. Same for all of us here who care enough about the issue to want to see the best happen. No one's honest opinion is a lie or trolling to me.I really don't have a dog in this fight. Wherever the Zips play basketball, I'll be there. I'm open to all possibilities. For example, while the concept of having a new basketball facility on campus makes more sense than having a multipurpose arena miles away, there are potential locations adjacent to the campus that would be about as easy for many resident students to walk to as some potential locations just inside the campus boundaries.Whatever turns out to be the best overall solution for all parties is just fine with me.
It's not about distance. It is about perception. This concept is exactly why UA built a campus stadium instead of a downtown stadium. And people do lie on this blog. And you can count me in on wanting to see what is best for the university and the ENTIRE city of Akron, including downtown.

Instead of replying 3 times in a row, try using the edit button. Also, could you cut down what you've just said and make it simple?Bringing students downtown is good for both students and Downtown Akron. I understand this is hard for you to see so I'll try to explain.Good for students: Downtown Akron provides the best night life for students in Akron. Some people like the Valley but nothing compares to downtown. Having Downtown Akron so close to campus means less distance to travel, easier access to entertainment, and the chance to develop business contacts (I've met plenty at the Barley House). I guess you could argue that the bars on Exchange street can provide a nightlife, but they're not as nice as downtown. Good for Downtown: More students are spending money, better energy, and provides future business as students will continue to come once they're alumni.I'm having trouble thinking of how it's Bad for students, and bad for downtown. I'm not going to search your rant for ideas either. If you want to help me understand your point, make it simple and easy to understand.

Instead of replying 3 times in a row, try using the edit button. Also, could you cut down what you've just said and make it simple?Bringing students downtown is good for both students and Downtown Akron. I understand this is hard for you to see so I'll try to explain.Good for students: Downtown Akron provides the best night life for students in Akron. Some people like the Valley but nothing compares to downtown. Having Downtown Akron so close to campus means less distance to travel, easier access to entertainment, and the chance to develop business contacts (I've met plenty at the Barley House). I guess you could argue that the bars on Exchange street can provide a nightlife, but they're not as nice as downtown. Good for Downtown: More students are spending money, better energy, and provides future business as students will continue to come once they're alumni.I'm having trouble thinking of how it's Bad for students, and bad for downtown. I'm not going to search your rant for ideas either. If you want to help me understand your point, make it simple and easy to understand.
Carefull Bobby....You're making sense. He doesn't like sense being made. :D Or factual evidence. :rolleyes:

For anyone who has never been on the campus of a truly large school.OSU Main CampusWhat you'll notice from the street grid is that the campus is not just on contiguous land mass. It is divided again and again by roads and highway. Value City Arena is on the other side of the Olentangy. And yes nothing is "downtown" but the school was a land grant school before Columbus ever became what it is today. The point being most large schools aren't 100% pedestrian friendly, and the larger the school, the more acreage it needs.UA is unique in that it has always bordered Downtown Akron. Having any kind of presense on Broadway and High, is no more of a burden to students than having a presense on Mill or Wheeler.

Succesful bball programs play at Pro bball arenas= Nova & Gtown come to mind (though at least Nova has an on-campus facility it uses quite often). Xavier built up its program in the 80s and early 90's far away from campus. There are numerous examples when it comes to success and b-ball programs and not being smack in the middle of campus. Marquette is a downtown university. Syracuse sits atop downtown, but there is still some intertwining. Yada, yada, yada...College football is an all day event. College basketball, ESPECIALLY IN COLD WEATHER AREAS, is about going to the game and most likely going to a restaurant/bar (or just home). I understand the possible counter-argument about the difficulty of students walking to a game in the cold & snow. But without a professional b-ball team in Akron, UA's team becomes the "it thing" for Akron (yes, of course, the Cavs are down the road). The arena can and should be built with the entire community in mind. Fact is, if Dambrot and company continue to build a great programs, students will get to the games.

I'm sorry if you have problems with comprehension. I'll try to come down to your level. The campus having clear boundaries which include having an on-campus and not a downtown arena does not prevent students from enjoying downtown. Nor does it prevent downtown from enjoying students. Your contention is a false one.You make it sound as though I am advocating the destruction of downtown. And please try to not make your opinions into attacking another poster. I see what you are doing though. You start to lose the intellectual argument so you shift the discussion into a petty attack of how I need to use the edit button. I'll post the way I see fit. Now do try and stay on topic without getting so childish and defensiveNow I want you to calm down and think real hard. You seem to be enjoying downtown bars and nightlife already. As you stated the campus and downtown are very close and that downtown provides the best nightlife for students currently. I have never said I have a problem with this. Your version of my thinking does, but that's what happens when you put words in other people's mouths which happens often on this site more so than Ohio.com. ..again the tell tale signs of dishonesty. Sounds to me like students are going downtown already and that downtown is enjoying students already. Currently, there is no UA arena downtown. So, building one on campus does not do one thing to interrupt this already happening experience. Does Can't State feel the need to buid its facilities in downtown Can't so that Can't State students can enjoy the Can't bars? Surprise, they don't need to have Can't State build in downtown Can't in order for the students to enjoy an off-campus venue. The same goes for The University of Akron. This whole "entertainment district" malarky is just a ruse to get UA to foot the bill for a downtown arena that the mayor has always lusted after and the voters are against. An on-campus arena will allow audience members to get a good look at UA's beautiful campus and therefore serve as a recruitment strategy for increased enrollments. Not so in downtown. Unless you think people are going to say, "Oh look Henry, there's the beautiful and stunning Polsky Building and parking deck, let's send our children to UA. I'm quite impressed with this beautiful campus with its one building that is a repurposed department store and its parking deck. And, don't you just love all the concrete and traffic on this campus. It's quite impressive without grass, trees and the lack of a park-like setting." While people may go to see a game or concert at a downtown arena. Once the event is over, they may take in a night spot and then they will get in their cars and go home and see nothing of UA's attractive campus. What a waste of money it would be if UA puts an arena downtown.

I'm sorry if you have problems with comprehension. I'll try to come down to your level.
I see what you are doing though. You start to lose the intellectual argument so you shift the discussion into a petty attack...
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm sorry if you have problems with comprehension. I'll try to come down to your level. The campus having clear boundaries which include having an on-campus and not a downtown arena does not prevent students from enjoying downtown. Nor does it prevent downtown from enjoying students. Your contention is a false one.You make it sound as though I am advocating the destruction of downtown. And please try to not make your opinions into attacking another poster. I see what you are doing though. You start to lose the intellectual argument so you shift the discussion into a petty attack of how I need to use the edit button. I'll post the way I see fit. Now do try and stay on topic without getting so childish and defensiveNow I want you to calm down and think real hard. You seem to be enjoying downtown bars and nightlife already. As you stated the campus and downtown are very close and that downtown provides the best nightlife for students currently. I have never said I have a problem with this. Your version of my thinking does, but that's what happens when you put words in other people's mouths which happens often on this site more so than Ohio.com. ..again the tell tale signs of dishonesty. Sounds to me like students are going downtown already and that downtown is enjoying students already. Currently, there is no UA arena downtown. So, building one on campus does not do one thing to interrupt this already happening experience. Does Can't State feel the need to buid its facilities in downtown Can't so that Can't State students can enjoy the Can't bars? Surprise, they don't need to have Can't State build in downtown Can't in order for the students to enjoy an off-campus venue. The same goes for The University of Akron. This whole "entertainment district" malarky is just a ruse to get UA to foot the bill for a downtown arena that the mayor has always lusted after and the voters are against. An on-campus arena will allow audience members to get a good look at UA's beautiful campus and therefore serve as a recruitment strategy for increased enrollments. Not so in downtown. Unless you think people are going to say, "Oh look Henry, there's the beautiful and stunning Polsky Building and parking deck, let's send our children to UA. I'm quite impressed with this beautiful campus with its one building that is a repurposed department store and its parking deck. And, don't you just love all the concrete and traffic on this campus. It's quite impressive without grass, trees and the lack of a park-like setting." While people may go to see a game or concert at a downtown arena. Once the event is over, they may take in a night spot and then they will get in their cars and go home and see nothing of UA's attractive campus. What a waste of money it would be if UA puts an arena downtown.
I see where the moderator of Zipsnation.org has set it up where a poster cannot spell the name of our rival university several miles to the east without the spelling being changed to "Can't State". Congratulations, this site has outdone Ohio.com in the immaturity department.

Opinions aside, what we all know for a fact is that the other major thread on this subject was recently shuffled off to the garbage dump because it was starting to stink up the place. It wasn't the opinions on the subject that ruined the thread. The opinions on the subject at hand were interesting and worth reading. It was the belligerent and combative attitude that stunk.We all have a chance now to make an attitude adjustment before this thread is hauled off to the dump to join the other one. If this thread goes, then there will probably be others. At that point, I think the majority of civil forum members might support getting rid of serial troublemakers rather than otherwise good threads.As far as identifying troublemakers, I'd suggest starting with the Wikipedia definition of a troll:In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or collaborative content community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Opinions aside, what we all know for a fact is that the other major thread on this subject was recently shuffled off to the garbage dump because it was starting to stink up the place. It wasn't the opinions on the subject that ruined the thread. The opinions on the subject at hand were interesting and worth reading. It was the belligerent and combative attitude that stunk.We all have a chance now to make an attitude adjustment before this thread is hauled off to the dump to join the other one. If this thread goes, then there will probably be others. At that point, I think the majority of civil forum members might support getting rid of serial troublemakers rather than otherwise good threads.As far as identifying troublemakers, I'd suggest starting with the Wikipedia definition of a troll:In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or collaborative content community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
As usual, Dave emerges as a voice of reason. I love the actual debate going on as well, but as he said, the mudslinging is getting in the way of healthy discourse.

I agree. This is something akin to "the pot calling the kettle black". I appreciate the enthusiasm you appear to have for UA, at least since joining ZN on June 11, 2009, but your belligerent style is not. Your reply to posts that differ from yours are often relegated to name calling and insults. You've had your say and then some on a location for a possible arena. If others don't agree with you, they're not wrong, they simply disagree and have their own opinion. You take differing opinions too personally. I can think of another person in Akron who has this same trait. Care to guess who? Hint: initials are D. P.
I see where the moderator of Zipsnation.org has set it up where a poster cannot spell the name of our rival university several miles to the east without the spelling being changed to "Can't State". Congratulations, this site has outdone Ohio.com in the immaturity department.

Lighten up already, this schtick is getting very old. :wave: As to locating a possible arena in the parking lots adjacent to the Rec center, Info stadium and Ocasek Natatorium, I think that would take away precious parking needed by those buildings. It would also hide the stadium from view from several locations on campus. Why hide the stadium? Lack of parking and ingress-egress is a major consideration for any location. The UofA will probably need to build a deck in that location in the future. Moving the College of Education from the center of campus to an outskirts location is also a poor decision, IN MY OPINION! They need proximity to the Student Union and other core buildings on campus. Graduate programs are better suited for this type of location. The most viable location for an on campus Arena is the Central-Hower site and with the stance of APS, this will not happen. So we need to look outside what currently is considered on campus. The strip of land between the Beacon and tracks would be a good location but I don't think it's deep enough. The proposed arena across from Canal Park now has a restored building and it's questionable if an arena would fit the locations that are left. Has anyone looked at the U-Haul location east of campus? Maybe we could fit an arena there. How about the chemical company next to U-Haul? If UA could aquire both properties there would be enough room for an arena and parking facility. I personally like a destination location. For me that location would be closer to downtown. Park the car once, go to the game and then hit the bars or restaurants. I wouldn't want to try to find a parking spot downtown after seeing a game on the north, east or south side of campus. This also goes for a concert, circus, hockey game, or any other use this facility might hold.

Does Can't State feel the need to buid its facilities in downtown Can't so that Can't State students can enjoy the Can't bars?
:lol: totally worth itJake you always keep me coming back for more, that's a fact! I'm just curious, but hypothetically speaking, if the city offered a joint deal that could cut costs 50% as well as speed up the process by about 5 years would you decline their offer?

• 2 weeks later...
Does Can't State feel the need to buid its facilities in downtown Can't so that Can't State students can enjoy the Can't bars?
:lol: totally worth itJake you always keep me coming back for more, that's a fact! I'm just curious, but hypothetically speaking, if the city offered a joint deal that could cut costs 50% as well as speed up the process by about 5 years would you decline their offer?
Yes, I would indeed decline the offer. The ROI of an on-campus arena would be much more beneificial to UA's mission in the long run than any amount of superficial savings or accelerated progress of a shared cost, downtown/off campus arena.I would also ad that your scenario will remain hypothetical and would never end up being an offer by the city. From what I've been told, the only contribution the city wants to make is the land and they aren't willng to give it or sell it to UA. They want to keep the land and have UA build on it at UA's expense. And, that would also include UA managing the structure and pay for operating expensesTo me this whole joint effort thing is an incestuous hustle.

That's all I wanted to know, and I believe that’s where we disagree.I would be thrilled with any new arena (within reason) and see lots of benefits both ways. I believe that constructing an on-campus facility in the near future is ambitious to say the least, but of course I would still be thrilled!PS. If this post offended anyone please just offend me back