I dread the day...

timmyboy

I was up at the university today for the softball game..and i can tell you already i am going to DREAD trying to find a parking spot when they open the new stadium. I got there at 12:50 for the game that started at 1 and thought i was doing good, until i seen they had a cheerleading comp going on also. I had to drive around the campus for 20 minutes looking for a spot. I am thinking that i am FOR SURE going to get a reseved parking pass when i buy my season tickets, because if not i will miss 1/2 the game trying to find a place to park.

I'm going to park and walk. When I took my brother down to the OSU game last year we had to park about a mile away from their stadium. Fans of other schools have to walk, so right now I'm thinking I'll probably park somewhere downtown, grab a bite to eat before the game and then walk to the stadium. I plan on bringing different friends w/ me all the time so parking & walking will give me the chance to show off how both our downtown has changed and how the campus has changed. However, if it's one of those cold, rainy/snowy Akron-in-November days, yuck, I'd pay a lot to park closer.

Game day parking should not be much of an issue if you don't mind a little walk or short bus ride (I'm guessing there will be shuttle buses like other large universities). There is plenty of parking to accomodate the stadium crowds between the lots by EJ and the Polskys's deck as well as the Exchange and Carroll St decks. There is also plenty of flat lots scattered throughout campus. As for other events, I'm certain that athletics will be careful about not scheduling other large events at the JAR on game days.On a side note, in a discussion regarding stadium parking on Friday at the groundbreaking, a trustee stated that they are exploring options for additional decks and will have a parking plan in place for the stadium opening.

I just plan on showing up sometime between 6 and 7 AM on game day. Then you never have problems parking anywhere. There just better not be any "beer nazis" in the parking lots.....*cough* K-e-n-t *cough*.........jerks, trying to bust me on your bicycles. What a bunch of tools.

"lawn-type area"
This description is classic! :D It evokes a philosophical question. Is "lawn-type area" to grass as "processed cheese food" is to cheese? :lol:
If you know what I'm talking about, you'll see that that description is pretty accurate. It's not really a lawn, and it has random street lights located in the middle of the field. I think it is gravel covered with about 1 inch of dirt, and then some sod. I don't even know if it is owned by UA or one of the frats, or maybe the Chapel. It's just a relatively large square of grass on the street corner.

"lawn-type area"
This description is classic! :D It evokes a philosophical question. Is "lawn-type area" to grass as "processed cheese food" is to cheese? :lol:
If you know what I'm talking about, you'll see that that description is pretty accurate. It's not really a lawn, and it has random street lights located in the middle of the field. I think it is gravel covered with about 1 inch of dirt, and then some sod. I don't even know if it is owned by UA or one of the frats, or maybe the Chapel. It's just a relatively large square of grass on the street corner.
For kicks I tried to Google Earth it, but the resolution isn't enough to do it justice. Plus, seems like most of those Google Earth images are 5-10 years old. I'm certainly not disputing your claim. I merely enjoyed the description. I'm sure it will be PERFECTLY adequate for the intended use!

I'll see how much it is to get a spot by the stadium, but I'm willing to bet it is more money than I can afford. I'm thinking about putting down roots in the Schrank Lot. I'll be able to stop into the range and check out the Zips for a rifle match, and then head over the the stadium! Reasonably close, and it would be nice if we could get on the practice field so the kids can run around and play ball. That would be perfect!