Early Season Rankings

Zips fan

That's what happens when you're the only team in college basketball with a road win.
Statistical D.I.G pooh-poohing our #1 ranking? Did I log on to bizarrozipsnation.org by mistake? :D

I understand it. People are starting to know who Akron is after we won the futbol national championship last year. Maybe we should get a list of upcoming games we need to root for and track like thay have on the soccer forum. :D

I only wish soccer generated the kind of publicity that can elevate the notoriety of your school, and the other sports. But unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

But I'll take the #1 basketball ranking. I plan to tell people all season long that we were "The #1 team in the country in the computer polls back at the beginning of the year"

That's what happens when you're the only team in college basketball with a road win.
Statistical D.I.G pooh-poohing our #1 ranking? Did I log on to bizarrozipsnation.org by mistake? :D

Not at all. It's not pooh-poohing at all to note that the Zips are the only team to have won on the road. In fact, it's a high compliment. All the early games that have been played have had supposedly lesser teams playing at bigger school arenas in front of hostile crowds. The only "lesser" team that has won under those difficult conditions has been the Zips. Feed all that data into the RPI program, and the computer spits out the totally objective mathematical result that the Zips are currently the best college team in the country.

Dr Z, you might also want to do a quick screen capture at the following website. Even though the Zips have only played one game and some teams have played two, Zeke currently leads the country in blocked shots with 5, and Rico is second in the country in steals with 6 and first in the country in steals per game. This will all start changing tonight and tommorow with all the college games on tap.

Also, check other stats on this site. Rico and Zeke are 1-2 in the country in defensive win shares, Zeke is #2 in the country in field goal percentage, etc., etc.

Season Leaders