At Saint Louis

14 hours ago, TennZip said:

I worry about playing Western Michigan on the road 4 days after traveling to play a very good Syracuse team

I worry about playing Bowling Green 4 days after playing current #1 Notre Dame

this team right now is very weak in the midfield....Midfielders do a ton of running and they will get tired and this will lead to bad passes

schedule is not good for this team

This has been the strangest schedule I can remember in the last 5-7 years.  I know the MAC and the need to play higher ranked teams for SOS purposes are a factor, but it's almost like this was put together haphazardly.  4 out of 5 on the road to begin with, lots of two-a-weeks, not blaming anyone, but is this a coach's decision, the Athletic Department, who actually sets the schedule once the MAC dates are known?  Is it like football where OOC schedules are made years in advance?

3 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

This has been the strangest schedule I can remember in the last 5-7 years.  I know the MAC and the need to play higher ranked teams for SOS purposes are a factor, but it's almost like this was put together haphazardly.  4 out of 5 on the road to begin with, lots of two-a-weeks, not blaming anyone, but is this a coach's decision, the Athletic Department, who actually sets the schedule once the MAC dates are known?  Is it like football where OOC schedules are made years in advance?

I believe that most of the schedule is done year to year and all by the coaches. Some match ups might be in the works in advance, but I think most of it solidifies throughout the spring and is finalized in late spring. I think what makes it look haphazard is the willingness (or not) of other teams to do a home and away. For example, Wake Forest has shown a willingness to come to Akron; UNC has not. Nice to schedule ACC opponents who are relatively close and often bring an RPI boost, but not at the expense of always playing at their place. I think the western swings are okay as a weekend set; the idea of UVU on Friday and Denver on Monday was well planned, but then having to sparsely schedule the next few doesn't seem so good. I suspect the Washington match on Friday was meant to be an "Akron Tournament" with a Friday/Sunday or Friday/Monday game set, but they may have had issues getting 3 other quality teams in that time period. Then U@B dropped mens soccer, and SIUE was added late to the MAC. That may have had some effect on ability to shuffle out-of-conference games.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 1

A week after hosting the zips....the billikens hosted two time defending national champion Stanford

and the Cardinal went down to defeat

2-0 Billikens

weird stats

16-9 shots for stanford

but st. Louis led 6-1 in shots on goal

and the cardinal led 9-2 in corners

• Like 1