Classic Script Zips

K-Roo

Bring it back? Or leave it gone????
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flush" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flush" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The thing that stands out to me in that video is the audio of fans singing along to the fight song...i don't think I've ever heard that at the game, outside of SOME of the students. Other than that, I say bring it back...maybe with a new twist somehow. It's entertainment, many bands do such things. Hell, on alumni band night, my HIGH SCHOOL spelled out script "Riverside." Let's shed this "little brother" image and have some fun. Though I would like to say that halftime's show last night was one of the most entertaining in my rubber bowl history. Loved the choice of tunes with Kansas, Queen etc....much better than big band versions of Dave Matthews Band.

The thing that stands out to me in that video is the audio of fans singing along to the fight song...i don't think I've ever heard that at the game, outside of SOME of the students. Other than that, I say bring it back...maybe with a new twist somehow. It's entertainment, many bands do such things. Hell, on alumni band night, my HIGH SCHOOL spelled out script "Riverside." Let's shed this "little brother" image and have some fun. Though I would like to say that halftime's show last night was one of the most entertaining in my rubber bowl history. Loved the choice of tunes with Kansas, Queen etc....much better than big band versions of Dave Matthews Band.
Would that be Riverside High in Painesville? I went to Perry, haha.

What Ive never understood about our band is why our drum major goes running around the field at halftime without his cap on just tossing his baton (pardon me if thats not the correct term) around. It just seems so out of place and less than professional....In regards to the actual script... I think they could bring it back if they cleaned up the script. the Z is nearly indistinguishable. A normal Z leading into a script I, P, and S would look much better, IMO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the band already spells out Z-i-p-s during the pregame in normal letters?
they do but this looks a lot better. I do think the script zips is awsome and I do think that the Akron band needs something to hang there hat on so to say. maybe the twist we could put on it is the tuba player doing the splits like she does now only in script form.

I say leave it. it is to much of an OSU rip off
OSU is a Michigan ripoff...who cares. Having a band in general is a ripoff to whoever started it. It's cool and the only team i know of that did a script "ZIPS".
I know that 99.99% of our market would immediately think we're trying to ripoff OSU. I've heard that Michigan did a script "Michigan" and dotted the "i's" before OSU. Is this true? If so, it would be good to have that nugget if info @ our disposal were we to do a script Zips and have to explain that to our friends.

I say leave it. it is to much of an OSU rip off
OSU is a Michigan ripoff...who cares. Having a band in general is a ripoff to whoever started it. It's cool and the only team i know of that did a script "ZIPS".
I know that 99.99% of our market would immediately think we're trying to ripoff OSU. I've heard that Michigan did a script "Michigan" and dotted the "i's" before OSU. Is this true? If so, it would be good to have that nugget if info @ our disposal were we to do a script Zips and have to explain that to our friends.
Actually, Michigan did the first script Ohio, when visiting Ohio Stadium. OSU's band did it themselves later, adding in all the rotating and the music they currently use. Never seen a script Michigan, although I suppose its possible.

Actually, Michigan did the first script Ohio, when visiting Ohio Stadium. OSU's band did it themselves later, adding in all the rotating and the music they currently use. Never seen a script Michigan, although I suppose its possible.
You, sir, are correct, but barely. Michigan DID in fact form the script Ohio first, but they did it via a formation, not by marching. See below:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_Ohio#Script_Ohio
Script Ohio was first performed by The Ohio State Marching Band on October 10, 1936 at the Ohio State versus University of Pittsburgh football game. According to The Ohio State University Library, a similar floating formation was first performed during the 1932 season by the University of Michigan Marching band, however, it was a set-piece, instead of being formed through marching described below....The script is an integrated series of evolutions and formations. The band first forms a triple Block O formation, then slowly unwinds to form the famous letters while playing Robert Planquette’s Le régiment de Sambre et Meuse. The drum major leads the outside O into a peel-off movement around the curves of the script, every musician in continual motion. Slowly the three blocks unfold into a long singular line which loops around, creating the OSUMB’s trademark.

I've actually spoken to current and past band directors about the script zips as there are pictures of it in the music building. In short it was abandoned because it was not often done very well. Script ZIPS is a lot harder to do than OHIO, particularly the 'Z'. The block ZIPS works a lot better and I do not expect that to change.

I would love to see the size and volume/power of the band increase going into InfoSumma. I assume they'll sound louder in the newer and smaller stadium, but man, with the investment and hope that are going into the new facility, how cool would it be to see a very large band, with LOTS of horns, belting out kick ass music with authority. I know the present incarnation plays well and I like them. However, I think that I'll be looking for something that knocks our socks off next year and is fun and entertaining to watch.Oh, and I like the script but it does look difficult to execute well. There are other cool things that can be done, but I'll tell you, when you're on a field and a large band with mega horn power turns and hits you with a blast it can really have an impact. Akron needs a large, loud, raucous horn-heavy band going into the future.GO ZIPS.SeeTeeZip

This was from 1990 season - Ken Morehead ws the Tuba player that dotted the "i". I'm not 100% sure, but think the first time we did it was back when Golemo first came as the director back in the mid 1980's (1984) I think it is a good thing, but should only be done once a year (Acme Zips Game - if they still have it). I would not do it each week (like OSU), that would be way too much...If anyone is looking for other video, audio of the Zips marching band - here's a site that a bunch of us old alumni run.http://www.zipsalumniband.com/index.php/media/video.htmlhttp://www.zipsalumniband.com/index.php/media/audio.htmlhttp://www.zipsalumniband.com/If you want to watch some old video of the band watch these 2 videos. (the bell bottom pants are hilarious). These were promotional videos (one for Goodyear) that were used to promote the band program to local schools (which is why there were larger bands back in the 1970's- 1980's)Something Called Pride (1978)http://www.zipsalumniband.com/index.php/me...lled-pride.htmlSaturday's Challenge (1971)http://www.zipsalumniband.com/index.php/me...-challenge.html

I would love to see the size and volume/power of the band increase going into InfoSumma. I assume they'll sound louder in the newer and smaller stadium, but man, with the investment and hope that are going into the new facility, how cool would it be to see a very large band, with LOTS of horns, belting out kick ass music with authority. I know the present incarnation plays well and I like them. However, I think that I'll be looking for something that knocks our socks off next year and is fun and entertaining to watch.Oh, and I like the script but it does look difficult to execute well. There are other cool things that can be done, but I'll tell you, when you're on a field and a large band with mega horn power turns and hits you with a blast it can really have an impact. Akron needs a large, loud, raucous horn-heavy band going into the future.GO ZIPS.SeeTeeZip
As a member of the band I can tell you that the band can't get any bigger unless we get some more money. You guys can see the beat up instruments we play. The school sousaphones, mellos and baritones are so beat up and twisted that most of them don't work. You can see some of these instruments brand new in the 1977 video "A Thing Called Pride." We also ordered more uniforms and raincoats last year when the size of the band jumped but now we're out again. It also doesn't help that members get about $200 for all the time they put in. Just for an idea of how much time that is-12 hours x 6 days for band camp =72 hours3 practices a week x 2 hours x 12 weeks (more if we go to the championship and/or bowl game) = 72 hours1 hour of sectionals a week = 12 hours 5 home games/1 HS Band Show x at least 6 hours each = about 36 hoursTotal = 192 hours if we don't go to the championship and not counting the time it takes to practice music outside of band. We also have to buy two t-shirts, a polo, gloves and shoes which cost over $100. $200 - $100 / 192 = 52 cents an hour at a very generous estimate.Trust me, I would love to have a huge band too, but we can't do it unless we get more funding. Trying to talk kids into joining the one credit class and spending all of that time at practice instead of hanging out with friends or doing school work is hard enough. When most kids come to check out the band the first thing they mention is how bad our instruments and uniforms look. If any of you have an idea of how to fix this make sure to share the idea. If there is $65 million plus out there to build a stadium I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a very small fraction of that for instruments and or uniforms.

As a member of the band I can tell you that the band can't get any bigger unless we get some more money. You guys can see the beat up instruments we play. The school sousaphones, mellos and baritones are so beat up and twisted that most of them don't work. You can see some of these instruments brand new in the 1977 video "A Thing Called Pride." We also ordered more uniforms and raincoats last year when the size of the band jumped but now we're out again. It also doesn't help that members get about $200 for all the time they put in. Just for an idea of how much time that is-12 hours x 6 days for band camp =72 hours3 practices a week x 2 hours x 12 weeks (more if we go to the championship and/or bowl game) = 72 hours1 hour of sectionals a week = 12 hours 5 home games/1 HS Band Show x at least 6 hours each = about 36 hoursTotal = 192 hours if we don't go to the championship and not counting the time it takes to practice music outside of band. We also have to buy two t-shirts, a polo, gloves and shoes which cost over $100. $200 - $100 / 192 = 52 cents an hour at a very generous estimate.Trust me, I would love to have a huge band too, but we can't do it unless we get more funding. Trying to talk kids into joining the one credit class and spending all of that time at practice instead of hanging out with friends or doing school work is hard enough. When most kids come to check out the band the first thing they mention is how bad our instruments and uniforms look. If any of you have an idea of how to fix this make sure to share the idea. If there is $65 million plus out there to build a stadium I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a very small fraction of that for instruments and or uniforms.
Just got back from visiting my son; he's a music major at the Univ. of Central Florida (315 member marching band). They get much of their percussion equipment through the manufacturers (Zildjan, Paiste, etc.). Any chance UA has or can get similar deals?

Just got back from visiting my son; he's a music major at the Univ. of Central Florida (315 member marching band). They get much of their percussion equipment through the manufacturers (Zildjan, Paiste, etc.). Any chance UA has or can get similar deals?
I know last year the drumline had a guy come in and make a performance video of them so they could get sponsored by a major company. I don't know who all they sent the tape to but as far as I know they haven't had any luck.

Wow, I am frequently not impressed with the bands music selection and lack of movement. But man, I certainly did not know how little support you guys got. That's terrible.QUOTE(bandzip @ Nov 9 2008, 02:19 AM) "As a member of the band I can tell you that the band can't get any bigger unless we get some more money. You guys can see the beat up instruments we play. The school sousaphones, mellos and baritones are so beat up and twisted that most of them don't work. You can see some of these instruments brand new in the 1977 video "A Thing Called Pride." We also ordered more uniforms and raincoats last year when the size of the band jumped but now we're out again. It also doesn't help that members get about $200 for all the time they put in. Just for an idea of how much time that is-12 hours x 6 days for band camp =72 hours3 practices a week x 2 hours x 12 weeks (more if we go to the championship and/or bowl game) = 72 hours1 hour of sectionals a week = 12 hours 5 home games/1 HS Band Show x at least 6 hours each = about 36 hoursTotal = 192 hours if we don't go to the championship and not counting the time it takes to practice music outside of band. We also have to buy two t-shirts, a polo, gloves and shoes which cost over $100. $200 - $100 / 192 = 52 cents an hour at a very generous estimate.Trust me, I would love to have a huge band too, but we can't do it unless we get more funding. Trying to talk kids into joining the one credit class and spending all of that time at practice instead of hanging out with friends or doing school work is hard enough. When most kids come to check out the band the first thing they mention is how bad our instruments and uniforms look. If any of you have an idea of how to fix this make sure to share the idea. If there is $65 million plus out there to build a stadium I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a very small fraction of that for instruments and or uniforms."

Great article today in the Beacon.http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/34445849.htmlOne thing that I think will help you next year - is not having to rent buses anymore to drive to the Rubber Bowl... Take that money and get more uniforms! and some more tuba's...Good luck - can't wait untiul next year at the New Stadium!