2020 CBI Tourney

johnnyzip84

We welcome you to the 13th season of the CBI tournament finals here in lovely Carmel, Indiana. There’s no place more closely interwoven with the fabric of basketball than this Midwestern state. As many of you know, the Cash Buy In tourney was previously known as the College Basketball Invitational tournament during the period from 2008 through 2015. It was only after the NCAA elected to expand their tournament from 96 to 288 teams following the 2015 season that the CBI felt compelled to take a different approach. In reality the CBI was merely removing any veil of doubt concerning its raison d’être. When the Zips of the University of Akron won the tournament 4 consecutive seasons in the early teens, numerous on-line universities in the US began to view the CBI as a major opportunity for revenue growth. DeVry got the ball bouncing in 2014 with an announcement that they would field a D-1 team beginning in 2016 vowing to “never play a road game”. The University of Phoenix swiftly followed. When ITT Tech joined the wave in 2017, it became clear that a cataclysmic shift in collegiate hoops was underway. Sure the NCAA still ran their tourney for the “orthodox” hoops fan, but the CBI offered a much more direct approach that clearly resonated with competition loving capitalists everywhere. The home game guarantee fee which originated at a paltry $60,000 is now more than ten times that figure. But with Facebook kicking in $1,000,000,000,000,000 for the lifetime rights to broadcast every Gazelle Group sponsored game, the on-line programs keep lining up. This year’s finals feature ITT-Florida vs. The University of Phoenix in Hawaii. We will return to Carmel after a word from Farmville, our first-half sponsor.

While I think it's easy to make light of this tourney, I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm thrilled the team is still playing for all of the reasons previously expressed here on ZN. I'll be there tonight. Go Zips!!

After watching the games last night on HDNET, I'm into it. HDNET did a good job.

This looks like the tournament we belong in. I'll be there tonight.

PS Can Akron sign a contract with HDNET to show all their away games? Football & basketball. Looks like Mark Cuban figured it out.

Can Time Warner Cable carry HDNET?

The good thing is that Dish & Direct TV carry it, so any bar should be showing for those of you stuck in the monopoly that is Time Warner. Having it in HD is just awesome. It's better than being there when you can watch it on a 9 foot movie screen. :thumb:

WOW! has it (Cleveland Area) on channel 212 however it is an additional cost above and beyoned DVR/HD/DIGITAL..includes only 4 channels:

High Definition Pak

210 HD Theater

212 HDNet

213 HDNet Movies

214 Universal HD

No watchy for me tonight, dammit!!!

If it weren't St. Paddy's day, I would be there.

WOW! has it (Cleveland Area) on channel 212 however it is an additional cost above and beyoned DVR/HD/DIGITAL..includes only 4 channels:

High Definition Pak

210 HD Theater

212 HDNet

213 HDNet Movies

214 Universal HD

For those closer to Akron, you can always kill two birds with one stone by heading to BW3's (for example) before and/or after the game :thumb:

We welcome you to the 13th season of the CBI tournament finals here in lovely Carmel, Indiana. There’s no place more closely interwoven with the fabric of basketball than this Midwestern state. As many of you know, the Cash Buy In tourney was previously known as the College Basketball Invitational tournament during the period from 2008 through 2015. It was only after the NCAA elected to expand their tournament from 96 to 288 teams following the 2015 season that the CBI felt compelled to take a different approach. In reality the CBI was merely removing any veil of doubt concerning its raison d’être. When the Zips of the University of Akron won the tournament 4 consecutive seasons in the early teens, numerous on-line universities in the US began to view the CBI as a major opportunity for revenue growth. DeVry got the ball bouncing in 2014 with an announcement that they would field a D-1 team beginning in 2016 vowing to “never play a road game”. The University of Phoenix swiftly followed. When ITT Tech joined the wave in 2017, it became clear that a cataclysmic shift in collegiate hoops was underway. Sure the NCAA still ran their tourney for the “orthodox” hoops fan, but the CBI offered a much more direct approach that clearly resonated with competition loving capitalists everywhere. The home game guarantee fee which originated at a paltry $60,000 is now more than ten times that figure. But with Facebook kicking in $1,000,000,000,000,000 for the lifetime rights to broadcast every Gazelle Group sponsored game, the on-line programs keep lining up. This year’s finals feature ITT-Florida vs. The University of Phoenix in Hawaii. We will return to Carmel after a word from Farmville, our first-half sponsor.

While I think it's easy to make light of this tourney, I'll be the 1st to admit that I'm thrilled the team is still playing for all of the reasons previously expressed here on ZN. I'll be there tonight. Go Zips!!

"I can remember when we used to dominate this tournament until that damn University of Phoenix came along." (A much older) Zach the Zip, 2020.

High Definition Pak

210 HD Theater

212 HDNet

213 HDNet Movies

214 Universal HD

You can watchy online here.