UA may end effort to acquire properties for dorm

bigham78

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/26350634.htmlI don't blame UofA if the Circuit Court doesn't overturn this verdict. Let the Nemers sit there and watch there :john: businesses go further down the drain and let them come to them begging to take the properties in a couple of years. I also hope Summit county charges them properties taxes at $85 per square foot

Fence them off from UA property on all sides possible. Make it at least two stories. We can paint giant UA murals on the side facing the stadium. It blocks the blight from view of all the fans.Send them (and a few ignorant/uninformed students) the message that they are NOT part of the UA community. They are simply ghetto dives on the wrong side of Exchange Street.

Fence them off from UA property on all sides possible. Make it at least two stories. We can paint giant UA murals on the side facing the stadium. It blocks the blight from view of all the fans.Send them (and a few ignorant/uninformed students) the message that they are NOT part of the UA community. They are simply ghetto dives on the wrong side of Exchange Street.
Here is my idea. We own the land adjacent to the stadium. I say build a small dorm on the land next to the stands opposite the pressbox. That way you add some more housing to meet demands of the enrollment growth. Then pitch a huge fence blocking off the urban blight completely, and then let the Nemers hang out to dry until they are willing to negotiate or until we are ready to buy their land.

UA does not have to build dorms there. I agree it would have been nice. The plans looked great.I like the wall idea. Not to be spiteful. (well, maybe to be spiteful a little, hehe) but to make sure we don't direct flow of students toward their businesses. In fact, I would suggest that the UA includes a cafe/food court in the ground level of these dorms (the ones that can be built) to dissuade as much traffic from venturing out to exchange street for such stuff.... probably any type of food or product that the nemers sell (chinese food, coffee, whatever). Then, let the the store owners sit there and dream about the 1.5 million dollars they could have had if they had just negotiated a little bit in the first place. In fact, I suggest going back to the architects to make these changes, plus possibly adding a few floors to increase the capacity of the dorms that can be built.

I do not want to see these clowns get any benefit from a new stadium. The way I see it is that this is a win win situation for them and they will do better with the development around them. Hopefully these guys have to pay sky high taxes and UA finds an alternate way to stick them.
I disagree this is Win win for the Nemers. Without major renovations on their part. I don't see any great benefit to them staying there. This already been a PR nightmare for them and I don't see them getting any new UofA business out of this. The businesses are badly blighted and I've seen new Stadiums and Arenas go up next to blighted business is no guarantee of a business boom. The United Center was built in Chicago and several nearby dump businesses that never improved there buildings while the Old Chicago Stadium was still standing were out of business by the time I left Chicago. Keep in mind Manny's Pub has no doors on the restrooms telling what a crap hole it is and only APD and handful of others go to Aroma currently. Chopstix doesn't and never has had any Asian working there should tell about the quality of the Chinese food they serve.I'm hearing UofA is already in the process of reworking the dorm project to build around them. One of my sources I know working on the construction site.

I'm hearing UofA is already in the process of reworking the dorm project to build around them. One of my sources I know working on the construction site.
If you look at the renderings there is a huge dorm complex shown adjacent to the stadium, and we own all that land. Why not build the dorm right there and wall off our property facing the bars?

I'm hearing UofA is already in the process of reworking the dorm project to build around them. One of my sources I know working on the construction site.
If you look at the renderings there is a huge dorm complex shown adjacent to the stadium, and we own all that land. Why not build the dorm right there and wall off our property facing the bars?
Added to the article today. I believe UofA is sending the message they can still do the dorms without taking the Nemers property. Joe and Manny need to settle or they're going to stuck with their blighted properties and no buyers and very limited revenue very soon. From the university's viewpoint, the good news is that the Nemers' property apparently is not absolutely essential to the project.Ted Curtis, UA vice president of capital planning and facilities management, said he already has redesigned the residence hall in case the university does not buy the Nemers' property.He said the new plan would take the residence hall from five to six floors and cover less ground than the previous design. He did not know yet if it would cost more money.

That would be justice. The Nemers would be stuck with $150,000 in legal fees, and also need to begin paying taxes on $3.1 million dollars worth of property. B)
UOfA would have to pay damages which would be the legal fees. But, Joe Nemer would be stuck with property that's blighted and he has no tennats other then the tatoo palor. The building has lead and absetos issues that need to dealt with and that's costly.He has a choice right now. Comeback to the table and negoiate in good faith for FMV and not that outlandish jury award of 3.1 mil. Or get your legal fees back and expect Summit county to reasses your property taxes for that flawed amout the real estate broker claimed in court. There no way he'll get the needed businesses revenues even with a new stadium and dorms nearby to survive for very long without major renovations to his blighted business. I fully expect some kind settlement in the range of 1.5 to 1.7 million in the very near future. Unless Joe as gone brain dead for greed.

That would be justice. The Nemers would be stuck with $150,000 in legal fees, and also need to begin paying taxes on $3.1 million dollars worth of property. B)
UOfA would have to pay damages which would be the legal fees. But, Joe Nemer would be stuck with property that's blighted and he has no tennats other then the tatoo palor. The building has lead and absetos issues that need to dealt with and that's costly.He has a choice right now. Comeback to the table and negoiate in good faith for FMV and not that outlandish jury award of 3.1 mil. Or get your legal fees back and expect Summit county to reasses your property taxes for that flawed amout the real estate broker claimed in court. There no way he'll get the needed businesses revenues even with a new stadium and dorms nearby to survive for very long without major renovations to his blighted business. I fully expect some kind settlement in the range of 1.5 to 1.7 million in the very near future. Unless Joe as gone brain dead for greed.
If the University of Akron walks away from this deal, even though that is what I would expect, it will still cost them roughly a half million in damages and legal fees, to get nothing in return. And as for the reassment of the Nemar's property tax, well I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. I don't see any upside from this FUBAR situation.

A couple of questions if any one may know the answers.Is the parking lot that we would need to pay $1 mil for the lot outside Manny's, Aroma, and Chopstix?If so, can just the parking lot be purchased but UA walk away from buying the actual buildings?Lastly, if this is the case, how long would people continue to frequent these establishments if the cost to park was charged at $85 per square foot?