Steve Zakuani

http://www.bnd.com/508/story/445157.htmlIt's mid-way through the article.
UA's soccer star Steve Zakuani didn't know Akron, didn't know the university, didn't know the Mid-American Conference.His life in the Woodgreen area of London didn't expose him much to Zips, Akron's or otherwise.Yes, that is London as in England, across the pond, as it were."I had only heard of places like Michigan and UCLA back home," Zakuani said last week before a Zips soccer team practice. "But as soon as I met the people here, I had no doubt this was where I wanted to be."Talk about a journey.When Zakuani was 4, he moved to London from the Republic of Congo. He was all set to turn pro two years ago, when University of Akron coach Caleb Porter came calling.Now he's recognized as one of the nation's best soccer players - for a program that is establishing itself nationally, as well.UA plays outstanding soccer, and it has a team that has legitimate national title hopes. It might be a "minor" sport to some, but Porter has made the Zips into a major power.UA has gone 45-10-7 since 2005, the nation's best winning percentage. The Zips are ranked 12th in the NSCAA/adidas preseason poll. They have been to the NCAA Tournament six of the past seven years.UA's recruiting class was ranked as high as fifth in the nation - highlighted by the signing of defender Kofi Sarkodie, who played for the United States at the 2007 Under-17 World Cup in South Korea."This team can go a long way," Zakuani said. "It's a cliche, but we can go as far as we want. We have the right coach. We have the right mentality in place. The pieces are there."This time last year, I didn't feel as good. This year, I think we can turn some heads. Our recruiting class is very good. My class, we have one year under our belt. Our coach is more experienced."The pieces are there."Including a key piece in Zakuani, one of the nation's best.The proof? He is one of 48 players on the preseason watch list for the prestigious Hermann Trophy, the Heisman of NCAA Division I soccer.This follows a freshman year when Zakuani scored six goals, three game-winners, and was a member of the College Soccer News All-Freshman team.Of the 48 on the watch list, there is one underclassman: Zakuani - or "Steve O," as his teammates call him.Ponder that thought again: The nation's best soccer player might just be playing in 10 home games right here at Lee Jackson Field.UA found Zakuani when Porter sent one of his assistant coaches to scout Zakuani's teammate in England.Zakuani was talented enough to have professional options in the soccer-rich Europe. But he said he put those plans on hold to come to UA, saying as soon as he talked to the people with the Zips, he knew it was where he wanted to be.He knows he might get more pro offers, and he plans to rely on Porter's advice, but he hopes to finish at Akron."If all goes well, I'll last four years here," he said. "That would be my dream."That is just one of several dreams, actually. Another is to play professionally for Barcelona, and yet another is to use his degree in sports management to help disadvantaged kids. He would like to open a sports club in neighborhoods where kids could use a sport like soccer to further themselves.Why help the disadvantaged?"Because I was one of them," he said.
It's mostly a nice story, but the thing that gets me is that the Beacon (I don't like linking to them anymore, so I try to find mirror sites of the stories) still hasn't gotten around to understanding that we have a world-class soccer program right next door to them.

It's mostly a nice story, but the thing that gets me is that the Beacon (I don't like linking to them anymore, so I try to find mirror sites of the stories) still hasn't gotten around to understanding that we have a world-class soccer program right next door to them.
You're spot on. I keep hoping and keep hoping for the ABJ to just start pimping the daylights out of UA athletics, I mean, why on earth wouldn't they? This is their city, this is their D-1 university; wouldn't it be the natural thing to do to make UA athletics out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? The Canton Repository does this for McKinley freakin' high school athletics and freakin' little high school athletics in general (whoop, whoop, go 16-year-olds! Yippie!) There's not a single podunk town in all of the U.S.ofA. that doesn't have high school athletics, and yet The Repository treats them as if they're something faaaaantastic. Why can't the ABJ learn from them? Because on the other hand, there is the UofA. How many D-1 football programs are there in the whole freakin' entire country? 117? 117 D-1 University football programs in the whole entire country and the ABJ has one right across the street from them and they give the U just disgustingly laughable coverage.I know my ranting does no good, but it just makes me feel a little bit better.