Preseason Scrimmages

Blue & Gold

Here is a link to the ABJ Varsity Letters blog.Varsity LettersOhio high schools are now allowed 3 preseason football scrimmages.Why are high school kids allowed 3 scrimmages but college men aren't allowed a single one? No wonder that first game is often a bit sloppy.As an aside, that's one of the reasons I think it's a wise idea to open the season with a D-1AA.

I would say because Ohio high schools have no spring practices at all. They also only have about 18 days of pads before the regular season starts.
We always had three preseason scrimmages back in the 1970's in Ohio.We call it Hell week.The first controlled scrimmage would the Saturday two weeks before your first regular season game.The 2nd controlled scrimmage was either Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week.The last scrimmage played like game conditions (kickoffs, punts included) was always played Friday or Saturday.It was bad week in terms of putting your body through three games in seven or eight days. But, it was worth it not having the rust to deal with in the opening game.My Nephew who coaches at Hoban has to be thrilled as he's been telling me that missing the 3rd scrimmage has been hurting them in terms of getting the kids ready.Spring football is why they only play one scrimmage or preview game here in Georgia.

Why are high school kids allowed 3 scrimmages but college men aren't allowed a single one? No wonder that first game is often a bit sloppy.As an aside, that's one of the reasons I think it's a wise idea to open the season with a D-1AA.
1-AA teams are the scrimmages. All the NCAA did by going to 12 games is add a week so BCS teams can scrimmage small schools. We should be doing the same thing.

<br />
Why are high school kids allowed 3 scrimmages but college men aren't allowed a single one? No wonder that first game is often a bit sloppy.<br /><br />As an aside, that's one of the reasons I think it's a wise idea to open the season with a D-1AA.
<br />1-AA teams are the scrimmages. All the NCAA did by going to 12 games is add a week so BCS teams can scrimmage small schools. We should be doing the same thing.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Exactly. That's what I was trying to say.

Why are high school kids allowed 3 scrimmages but college men aren't allowed a single one? No wonder that first game is often a bit sloppy.As an aside, that's one of the reasons I think it's a wise idea to open the season with a D-1AA.
1-AA teams are the scrimmages. All the NCAA did by going to 12 games is add a week so BCS teams can scrimmage small schools. We should be doing the same thing.
AgreedI'm looking at many of the Div 1A schools and most of their Non conference games are glorified scrimmages. Try Florida your defending National Champions opens the season.09/05 Charleston Southern Div 1AA of FCS 7-5 last year. Lost to Miami (FL) 52-7 and Miami (OH) 38-27 09/12 Troy from rent-a-win SBC. They won the SBC last and scored on just about everybody. But, their defense was like swiss cheese losing to the Oklahoma St 55-24 and blowing a 31-10 lead to LSU losing 41-31. That's looks like couple of scrimmages to open the season too me. ;)

i totally agree with gp.the problem is we open with penn state not morgan state!! what's the point of that.we should have tried to open with morgan state.we should have tried to either play the psu game next year,or played morgan state real early in the season.does the ncaa mandate when the season can start?why not play morgan state the week before penn state? even if this means playing in late in august the first game at the new stadium would be full.