Message boards can weild mroe influence than you think

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11776517Watch what you say. Normally this isn't a problem here at Zipsnation. Sure we sometimes make fun of our own players, but most of it is done tongue-in-cheek or if they really did something to deserve it. Criticism can drive some people to become better, but it can also demoralize them to the point where they back off. I'm not saying that we should ignore problems with how the Zips play their game, but choose your words carefully.This ties into my recent posts about having confidence in our team. There's not a team in the country that the Zips can't beat in any sport, if they play to their full potential. The thing is that sometimes they don't play their best. They should be pushed to reach a higher level in that case. We should show confidence in the players that they can do it. Same goes for academics.When non-qualifiers come to Akron, we hope for the best, we don't tear them down, because we know that there's a system in place to get them on the field so long as they put the effort in.

Some truly great kids have come through Akron as non-qualifiers. Kiki Gonzales comes to mind. Class act young man. And I believe he graduated. He is not the only one, either.I hope that kid in Wisconsin comes to understand that he can't let a few bozos on a message board dictate how he chooses to live his life. I have no doubt that the vast majority of Badgers fans are good people who wish every kid at their school well. Still, I guess one would have to walk in that boy's shoes to truly know how he feels.Anyway... sad all the way around.

Given the following pimptastic quotes:Vander Blue is -- as he put it -- "somebody who don't got their license yet." andBlue told the Milwaukee paper. "I just felt like it was so unnecessary. I don't think I'm that worse of a guy."I think the young man may have made a good decision. Wisconsin has slightly higher standards for their athletes than does Marquette.