JD's plan for the bye week

ZachTheZip

Replying specifically to the subject of this thread, I'm reading between the lines a little bit in that article, and what I think I am seeing is a coach trying to light a fire under some people by suggesting that other people might replace them if they don't start performing. And I like that he's doing that. Now...on to the QB situation.I'm no football expert, especially when it comes to the handling of your field leader, the QB. But, I'm still a little puzzled that over only a 4 game stretch, some of my fellow fans seem to have breezed through this progression of thought:1) I look forward to seeing our Sr. QB play his last season and lead us to a lot of victories.2) Hey...wait a minute...that Rodgers guy has been in for a few plays here and there, and he looks good. I want him to be the starter now.3) Nope...Rodgers doesn’t look like he’s good enough, but hey...what about that Freshman I heard about?All of this...in just a 3-week period of time. I want our best players on the field. But, if coaches actually operated their programs this way, I don’t think it’s a winning recipe for a number of reasons. And unfortunately we have the Browns to thank for giving us a glaring example.
Skip, I would choose Jacq, unfortunately he isn't an option. I gave Rodgers the benefit of the doubt (still pray he improves everyday and everynight) but from watching him the past three years, he hasn't improved on the weak points that I and everyone else (coaches included) identified. Pocket presence and being too quick to run. (I chalk decisioning up to those two lacking) so yeah, I still say let's see what we get with him, but Nicely had better be getting some reps. And Additionally it has been rumored here for a while that Matt hurt his shoulder (if true, it could only take one hit and then what)
Based on your response, you might be one of the people who've decided that shuffling quickly through your entire depth chart in desperation is a good idea. And you're sticking with it. I have quite a bit more strategic knowledge of basketball than I do about football. But, read the first part of my post again. I think some of it pertains to any team sport. I don't know you, but were you also among those individuals who were asking the Browns to give Dorsey or Spurgeon Wynn more playing time when you were unhappy with the other QBs? Just a few games into the season? That's the point here. I think I'll give our coaches a little more credit for knowing their people, and their best options. And that's the best place you can hope to be when you are a few games into the season, with your own divisonal games still ahead of you.

Based on your response, you might be one of the people who've decided that shuffling quickly through your entire depth chart in desperation is a good idea. And you're sticking with it. I have quite a bit more strategic knowledge of basketball than I do about football. But, read the first part of my post again. I think some of it pertains to any team sport. I don't know you, but were you also among those individuals who were asking the Browns to give Dorsey or Spurgeon Wynn more playing time when you were unhappy with the other QBs? Just a few games into the season? That's the point here. I think I'll give our coaches a little more credit for knowing their people, and their best options. And that's the best place you can hope to be when you are a few games into the season, with your own divisonal games still ahead of you.
Based on my response I would have stuck with Jacq (because that is what my response was). I do trust the coaches, the coaches basically said "Jacq is # 1, Rodgers is # 2, we'll use him to get him playing time, but sparingly." Rodgers is still a # 2, he has to play # 1 but at no point did the coaches say "Rodgers is the future of this team" the actually said by default that Nicely is the future of this team, hence the desire to redshirt. You hope to get through a season with Jacq and then have a contest in the spring next year for Rodgers and Nicely.Jacq f-d that up. I want Rodgers to be successful and win, because then my team wins, I'm happy, I hopefully don't have to listen to old guy and his fat wife behind me say "boy they sure aren't doing anything today, blah, blah, blah".But again, you say trust the coaches, well for 2 years and 2 games (26 games). They have said that a mediocre Jacq and a horrible CJ were better than him, that he hadn't stepped up to meet expectations. I pray he does.(on the Browns note, I was for Couch all the way, for Frye all the way, and for Quinn all the way, I pay attention to coaches and when Baltimore who had no QB what-so-ever decides that Anderson isn't good enough for their team, it kind of speaks volumes on the quality of the player.)