So it's finally happening

I'll show my age when I say that I was one of the fortunate ones who got to witness our transition from Memorial to the JAR. I do hate to see it go, but progress is progress.

On A Side Note.....thinking about Memorial is maybe the reason why I am one of the people who isn't quite as boisterous about the negatives of JAR Arena. We made great progress as a program by building the JAR. Yes, some things should have been done better. And yes, it probably doesn't meet up to the standards of what we feel we need today to be a big time basketball program. But, let's not lose site of the fact that the JAR represented a big step forward for our basketball program just a couple of decades ago. I don't think it should be viewed as a Rubber Bowl type of situation.

what I hope they save is the names on the main entrance. if they can't take them out and move them (I'm not very construction savvy) then find a way to redo them in some other place.

I think they mentioned that in the article somewhere.

what I hope they save is the names on the main entrance. if they can't take them out and move them (I'm not very construction savvy) then find a way to redo them in some other place.

I think they mentioned that in the article somewhere.

that they do. thanks for pointing it out :wave:

The thing worth saving inside are the old school wooden CHAIRS up in the stands.

Believe me, I was in there last summer and they are super comfortable.

That and the hardwood floors look to be in excellent condition for reuse.

p.s. I hope the squirrel living up in the rafters reads this article

I'll show my age when I say that I was one of the fortunate ones who got to witness our transition from Memorial to the JAR. I do hate to see it go, but progress is progress.

On A Side Note.....thinking about Memorial is maybe the reason why I am one of the people who isn't quite as boisterous about the negatives of JAR Arena. We made great progress as a program by building the JAR. Yes, some things should have been done better. And yes, it probably doesn't meet up to the standards of what we feel we need today to be a big time basketball program. But, let's not lose site of the fact that the JAR represented a big step forward for our basketball program just a couple of decades ago. I don't think it should be viewed as a Rubber Bowl type of situation.

The JAR is tiny steps forward from Memorial Hall. We are not impressed.

You never are....i'm sure you wish we had a palace like the MAC Center so we could have our view obstructed a little more. That's so big time.

You never are....i'm sure you wish we had a palace like the MAC Center so we could have our view obstructed a little more. That's so big time.

You don't know what you are talking about. I am impressed with InfoCision and more. That I expect UA to act like the big boys they should be seems to piss you off. That remains your problem.

You don't know what you are talking about. I am impressed with InfoCision and more. That I expect UA to act like the big boys they should be seems to piss you off. That remains your problem.

No, UA's biggest problem is the same old people who continue to imagine that this school is some crappy commuter school when it's far better than that. You wonder why 9 out of 10 people on ZN.o take offense to the ridiculous things you say? It's because you push that stigma that doesn't exist and are the main reason we have a problem shaking it.

Again, sorry Akron doesn't have a "beautiful jewel" in the middle of its campus like the MAC Center where 25% of fans attending miss half the game due to obstructed views.

No, UA's biggest problem is the same old people who continue to imagine that this school is some crappy commuter school when it's far better than that. You wonder why 9 out of 10 people on ZN.o take offense to the ridiculous things you say? It's because you push that stigma that doesn't exist and are the main reason we have a problem shaking it.

Again, sorry Akron doesn't have a "beautiful jewel" in the middle of its campus like the MAC Center where 25% of fans attending miss half the game due to obstructed views.

Do you drop acid on a daily or weekly basis? Your come-back is absurd and has nothing to do with anything I have ever said. I'm not impressed with Rhodes Gym. That is all I said. Your compulsion to fill in blanks that are not there is a sign of your crazieness.

Do you drop acid on a daily or weekly basis? Your come-back is absurd and has nothing to do with anything I have ever said. I'm not impressed with Rhodes Gym. That is all I said. Your compulsion to fill in blanks that are not there is a sign of your crazieness.

Nice try...you can twist things around all you want. All people have to do is read the BS you post on here and know who is the one "dropping acid".

Nice try...you can twist things around all you want. All people have to do is read the BS you post on here and know who is the one "dropping acid".

Come on fellas, really? Both of you claimed you were amazed by the awesome feature which is the ignored users list. Agree to disagree and spare us the bickering...

Oh stop it. You'll give yourself a nose bleed. There are many who are not impressed with Rhodes Gym and you know it. Try to be honest when you argue for a change.

Oh stop it. You'll give yourself a nose bleed. There are many who are not impressed with Rhodes Gym and you know it. Try to be honest when you argue for a change.

oh im honest, i'm just not an Akron hating pessimist like you.

I'm not impressed with the JAR, but I don't have a problem with having it for a few more years. Let's take care of the sports that are helping this university first(soccer). Then if we get the funds for a new basketball arena, so be it. After playing basketball in Memorial a few times, I'm sad to see it go after looking so peaceful and historic in there knowing that fans at one time used to sit in those seats, and at one time, the same floor I'm playing on, Bob Huggins used to coach the Akron Zips. It will be hard to see it go as I've been attached to it as I have had many classes in there as well. My grandparents told me how they used to go to Memorial Hall in high school for swimming at a pool that used to be in Memorial Hall and things like that. My grandma even told me that a girl drowned there one time she was there.

I want to look around there so much more to get a feel of it, just like Miranda Lambert's song "House that Built Me". But I want to see how other people were built into what they are now(for example, Bob Huggins)...

It needs to be done. But compared to JAR, the JAR is better. Compared to other BCS schools, not as much. Compared to other MAC Schools, I think we are fine right now.

Let it be the way it is unless you got the money to help it out. I'm doing my part by paying tuition, what are you doing? Arguing about the JAR on a thread about Memorial Hall? Arguing with another poster with insults and backlash when this is a discussion about Memorial Hall and the names on the front of Memorial Hall?

Let's put the toys away, and start acting like Akron Zips fans and not Joe Smoe elementary fans...

From what I have seen, all the doors are locked and the only way in or out is through the skywalk that connects to the JAR. That tells me that they're preparing for the asbestos removal stage. It could take weeks before it's safe to tear down without giving everyone at UA lung cancer.

From what I have seen, all the doors are locked and the only way in or out is through the skywalk that connects to the JAR. That tells me that they're preparing for the asbestos removal stage. It could take weeks before it's safe to tear down without giving everyone at UA lung cancer.

The doors really aren't locked, it's said that for a week but they dont actually lock the doors.

Btw, a few hours ago I was playing a few pickup games in Memorial and Quincy Diggs came in and shot around for a while.

Looks like he has a nice shot and a decent wingspan for his size. He was a little shy but very friendly as well. I know a few other ZN.o members were there playing and say him there too. What did you guys think?

The doors really aren't locked, it's said that for a week but they dont actually lock the doors.

Btw, a few hours ago I was playing a few pickup games in Memorial and Quincy Diggs came in and shot around for a while.

Looks like he has a nice shot and a decent wingspan for his size. He was a little shy but very friendly as well. I know a few other ZN.o members were there playing and say him there too.

Yep, I saw him there too. He said it's cold up here(wait til winter). A pick-up player told him he should go to Akron when he was shooting around at a different hoop(Diggs was wearing a Wichita State shirt), and Diggs says he does and he transferred. He's got a big wingspan like RootforRoo44 said, and he looks like he's a better shooter than Hitchens, maybe even better than Brett McKNight or even Steve McNees.

Looks like he has a nice shot and a decent wingspan for his size. He was a little shy but very friendly as well. I know a few other ZN.o members were there playing and say him there too.

Yep, I saw him there too. He said it's cold up here(wait til winter). A pick-up player told him he should go to Akron when he was shooting around at a different hoop(Diggs was wearing a Wichita State shirt), and Diggs says he does and he transferred. He's got a big wingspan like RootforRoo44 said, and he looks like he's a better shooter than Hitchens, maybe even better than Brett McKNight or even Steve McNees.

I know a lot of people are going to tear into you for saying that last line but from watching him shoot around for over a half hour i can tell you he has a pretty sweet shot. He looks like a BALLER.

I know a lot of people are going to tear into you for saying that last line but from watching him shoot around for over a half hour i can tell you he has a pretty sweet shot. He looks like a BALLER.

I'm okay with that. They have their opinions, I have mine...

+1