Wallerstedt joins Prince's

a-zip

Wallerstedt joins Prince's staff

BY JEFFREY MARTINThe Wichita EagleForget Christmas -- one of Matt Wallerstedt's dreams came true this week when the former Kansas State linebacker was added to Ron Prince's staff as linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator.

To say Wallerstedt, the associate head coach and linebackers coach at Akron, is ecstatic doesn't do justice to what the 39-year-old native of Manhattan is feeling right now.

"I'm on Cloud 9," Wallerstedt said. "I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and give this everything I've got.... I think this is the best job in the country."

His first day of work at his new job is Tuesday, one day after the Zips face Memphis in the Motor City Bowl. Akron finished the season with a 7-5 record, and this is the first postseason appearance in Zips' history. Realizing the significance, Prince allowed Wallerstedt to finish the season.

"I've tried in the past to get back to K-State, but whatever reason, it never happened," Wallerstedt said. "(Akron coach J.D.) Brookhart asked me where I would work if I could work anywhere in the country, and I never hesitated -- K-State.

"Here at Akron, we have a lot of good things going on. This is a program on the rise, but my decision was a no-brainer."

"I'm going to finish Monday's game and then I'm coming home," he said.

Prince still has coaching positions to fill, including offensive and defensive coordinators.

Are you kidding me! Why would players listen to a guy that wants to finish the game and go home. Hit the road, NOW! I don't want this in the lockeroom!

Here is the link Wallerstedt Going Home!! Yipee

His first day of work at his new job is Tuesday, one day after the Zips face Memphis in the Motor City Bowl. Akron finished the season with a 7-5 record, and this is the first postseason appearance in Zips' history. Realizing the significance, Prince allowed Wallerstedt to finish the season.

I love this part. Gee, thanks.

It's not the fact that he's leaving that people are upset about, it's the tone of the article which suggests that Price is making a charity case out of us by allowing him to stay and coach the MCB. That said, if the guy wants to be here and coach the bowl game and is going to put 110% effort into it then he's welcome to in my book. If not then have fun in Kansas and lets see if we don't have anyone on this staff who might be able to fill in. No use having a lame duck coach in the locker room who isn't going to give it his all.

Guys...........

It's always going to be like this until the quality level of your staff gets all the way down to where nobody wants them...........you want to be there (again)?

JD and Mack will suck it up and move on...........They'll get good guys in with all the tools they now have..........no sweat.

Relax, wish em well, and say goodbye.

Thanks Quickzip, that was my point exactly. Not once in the article does he mention WINNING the bowl game. That is the player's dream come true. I want a staff and players with one thing on their mind "WINNING THE MCB". It does not appear as though his head is 100% in to this game, that is not good. I would have atleast like to have seen "I am excited about going back to my alma mater, but we have unfinished business to take care of in Detroit, winning the MCB. These guys have given me their all and we are about to do something that has never been done before in the school's history".

In this case, he does OWE us his commitment. Whatever he does after that is his choice and we wish him well.

Are you kidding me! Why would players listen to a guy that wants to finish the game and go home. Hit the road, NOW! I don't want this in the lockeroom!

Somehow, I don't think the outcome of the game Monday is hinging on whether the LB coach is leaving or not. Matt worked his ass off for this program and deserves to stay for the MCB and we should all wish him well leaving. Anything else is just childish.

Coaches leaving goes on every year at every school. In a big boys and girls world, people come and go from different jobs at will.

I think JD is smart enough to bring in another good coach. With the success JD is having, there will be a line of good young coaches to fill this position hoping to grab onto JD's coat tails and move on to a bigger program with better pay.

How will we know when coaches leaving is a problem? The answer is simple. If JD starts bringing in every lame high school coach in the area to be assistants, like LO did at the end of his miserable career, we know we have a problem. They will get tons of resumes from high school coaches for this position. Believe me, there is not a high school coach out there who doesn't think to himself, "Self, I could do what those D-1A guys do in a second. I can coach just as well as they can". They are all wrong and most couldn't handle the pressure or the work schedule for longer than six months. Whatever you do JD, don't hire a high school coach.

LAING (SP?) KENNEDY. AD AT CAN'T STATE SAID WHEN STAN HEATH & GARY WATERS LEFT

FOR ARK AND RUT "HAVING COACHES OTHER PEOPLE WANT IS MUCH BETTER THAN HAVING COACHES NO ONE WANTS". AT THAT TIME WE HAD LO AND HIPSHER. (WONDER WHO HE WAS REFERRING TO!)

WITH BALL AMMUNITION LOCK AND LOAD. :D