Ohio State Game thread

The way I see it, UA has the classiest college soccer program in the country. Caleb Porter is the classiest coach in college soccer and the Zips players are the classiest in college soccer. They deserve the classiest fans in college soccer.

The use of profanity is not only not classy, it's not productive. It does nothing to help the team win games. It only hurts the team's image. It gives others an excuse to look down on Zips fans as "classless" in the same way that we look down on tOSU's coach, players and fans as classless.

Zips soccer fans should cheer the same way that Zips soccer players play -- with all their hearts, but cleanly and with class.

ding, ding, ding. you hit the nail on the head, as usual DiG :thumb:

I hope you are not suggesting that we start throwing the balls back to the other team when they are warming up. Not throwing them back is the most fun some of the AK-Rowdies have at the game.

no, that's just having playful fun. Now, if they wait for the player to approach them for the ball and then they say "f**k you" and throw it at the player's head, that'd be something else.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this over on bigsoccer.com.

That happens if the crowds are much larger than before because the new people need to be indoctrinated and are too nervous to cheer.

UCSB's atmosphere is usually off a bit for the bigger games, but they are getting more consistent, so the atmosphere is getting better at the big games too.

It sounds like we aren't unusual in this regards.

That happens if the crowds are much larger than before because the new people need to be indoctrinated and are too nervous to cheer.

UCSB's atmosphere is usually off a bit for the bigger games, but they are getting more consistent, so the atmosphere is getting better at the big games too.

When is Akron going to get it's own thread on the BigSoccer board? That is one step in moving our program forward, because that board is the most read in American futbol. Wish I had the time to be the BigMike of Akron soccer!

When is Akron going to get it's own thread on the BigSoccer board? That is one step in moving our program forward, because that board is the most read in American futbol. Wish I had the time to be the BigMike of Akron soccer!

Amen, Z.I.P.!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite 'non Rowdie' Rowdie moment was the March at Tulsa last year. Akron, in attempt to make students get to the game sooner, told us that they were only going to allow 2,000 (or so) students in for free. So during the march, you could tell all the students stood there worried that they would not get in. When the team finally made their way through the tunnel, instead of marching and chanting as one, it turned into what was almost a dead sprint to the gate.

I made a joke with a friend that Zippy elbowed me and knocked me over because she was worried about not getting in. It litterally became a bullrush to the entrence. I am pretty sure EVERYONE got in.

I too noticed a lot of standing around. I can understand if you have an attractive lady on the hook and you are more intrested in reeling her in than chanting. But if you are just going to stand there with your thumb up your *** please don't try to get to the front.

I was standind behind the net, and there were these fools standing in front, in their underwear, not doing anything. Like painting up was enough. Sickening.

Another Sickening thing was a smell that kept coming from somewhere. It smelled like a horrible BO or dirty cloths or both. I don't know what it was, but please don't go into a large, hot crowd stinking, use common sense.

I love the Rowdies, I really do. I have been around for a while now (thrid year). I am not too active in the officer bussiness but I do get loud and cheer on my zippers. I wish others were like me and people around here.

We just dominated our biggest rivals and the only topic of discussion is that some fans weren't loud enough.

...so how about that Luke Holmes kid?

hes going to be a BEAST. From what i saw during the game and during the highlight video, his footwork looked fantastic and will give us that second dimension we needed.

The way I see it, UA has the classiest college soccer program in the country. Caleb Porter is the classiest coach in college soccer and the Zips players are the classiest in college soccer. They deserve the classiest fans in college soccer.

The use of profanity is not only not classy, it's not productive. It does nothing to help the team win games. It only hurts the team's image. It gives others an excuse to look down on Zips fans as "classless" in the same way that we look down on tOSU's coach, players and fans as classless.

Zips soccer fans should cheer the same way that Zips soccer players play -- with all their hearts, but cleanly and with class.

This ranks with "things I wish I had said."

By all means, tease with the ball and not sling "F" bombs. Be curtious; most of the time.

The entire team is better with Holmes on the pitch. I was eagerly anticipating his debut, but he managed to exceed my already high expectations. He starts from now on, right?

There's no question. Not only does he solve the link up problem between the midfield and forwards, he also stretches the field to the left. If you noticed in the games previously, we were being given the left side in an attempt to stop our attack down the right. They can't do that anymore.

Sorry, but that team doesn't deserve to be treated politely. Most other teams are respected when they come here, and any tricks we play (kicking the ball away during warm-ups, conversing with the opposing goalie, etc) is all done in good fun and the other team recognizes that. From the coach on down OSU Soccer is thuggish, arrogant, and generally the worst kind of athletic program.

We just dominated our biggest rivals and the only topic of discussion is that some fans weren't loud enough.

...so how about that Luke Holmes kid?

I heard that he has two more gears.

He needs a swank nickname.

With a name like Holmes, well,... the possibilities are almost limitless. :rolleyes:

The entire team is better with Holmes on the pitch. I was eagerly anticipating his debut, but he managed to exceed my already high expectations. He starts from now on, right?

There's no question. Not only does he solve the link up problem between the midfield and forwards, he also stretches the field to the left. If you noticed in the games previously, we were being given the left side in an attempt to stop our attack down the right. They can't do that anymore.

That is actually an astute observation. I am not even sure Holmes was placed on the left by design. Did he come in for Quinn? He seemed to naturally flow to where there was least pressure, or most space.

Sorry, but that team doesn't deserve to be treated politely. Most other teams are respected when they come here, and any tricks we play (kicking the ball away during warm-ups, conversing with the opposing goalie, etc) is all done in good fun and the other team recognizes that. From the coach on down OSU Soccer is thuggish, arrogant, and generally the worst kind of athletic program.

So that excuses getting down in the gutter with them?

A great tactic of inferior teams is to try to get their superior opponents to lose their composure and play out of character.

They cause us to lose our composure and drag us down to their level, they win.

We maintain our composure and stay above their level, we win.

Never let the enemy dictate your tactics.

So that excuses getting down in the gutter with them?

A great tactic of inferior teams is to try to get their superior opponents to lose their composure and play out of character.

They cause us to lose our composure and drag us down to their level, they win.

We maintain our composure and stay above their level, we win.

Never let the enemy dictate your tactics.

+1 That's exactly what we always complain about the Big Ten and Big West teams attempting to do to our team with their physical style. Let's not stoop to that level as fans. You can support your team without losing your class. I think the one thing the ROWDIES are great at, is whenever the other team scores a goal hardly a minute goes by before a "Let's go Zips!" chant starts to let our boys know we are still behind them. That's real fandom, not exchanging F-bombs with the other side.

Now I should mention that I am not a member of the AK-Rowdies because when I go to the games I prefer to watch them without chanting. Me being a member of the Rowdies would be pointless.

But, this is why I don't stand directly behind the goal. I prefer to stand near the top of the hill so I can watch the game.

This is coming with tons of respect but I think the "I come to watch" mentality is another problem we have. I am no way coming at you personally either. I understand wanting to watch and see the game unfold but you can still join in on chants and songs. A big reason some of them dont carry and have time to pick up are because people who do know them and are right there refuse to do them. We don't need everyone to be over the top screaming and heckling but you can definitely chant and sing from the top of the hill and still watch the game.

My problem comes when we have tons of student fans who come to all the games and "love" this team but refuse to do what the team and our Coach wish that we would to. Were not here entertaining ourselves. A lot of what we do is directly requested from Caleb Porter. Its not just for ROWDIES either. I understand wanting to watch the game. We play beautiful soccer. But alot of fans need to realize that we are part of the game and that the games aren't just for your entertainment. We do have a purpose as fans

That is actually an astute observation. I am not even sure Holmes was placed on the left by design. Did he come in for Quinn? He seemed to naturally flow to where there was least pressure, or most space.

This is from Goal.com... the last 2 weeks...

Akron 4-0-2. The Zips are one piece away from putting this all together. It is going to click soon and put the offense back in high speed.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/2617/youth-...ek-six-rankings

Akron 5-0-2. The Zips are at their best when DeAndre Yedlin is flying down the right side and opening up the field for everyone else.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/2617/youth-...ek-six-rankings

This guy seems to know the team pretty well... maybe from a contact on the coahing staff... or alumni... or maybe he just reads a lot. Who is this guy?

It was no secret that Akron was weak on the left side (or just faster on the right)... but... Luke Holmes has changed that! You have to consider us a more complete team now.

Also... I didn't notice Homes flowing to open spaces... as much as I noticed him confronting defenders and blowing by them.

He's going to be drawing more and more attention... which is good for Mattocks... and our entire offensive scheme. I look to see more scoring... from Holmes... Mattocks... and the entire Midfield.

Also... did everyone see the post-game video on GoZips.com? He seemed to be under the weather a bit. Watch out when he starts feeling better.

He replaced Schmitt. He played out left and Quinn stayed on the right. From what I can tell, Porter really likes putting players in a position where they can cut inside to their dominant foot whie allowing the back to stay outside and run at people. Look at our right right now. Quinn is over there with Yedlin. Yedlin makes the outside runs and goes at defenders, Quinn can either play him the ball or cut inside and provide service. I expect to see a lot more of those snap shots that Holmes showed as soon as he got in. I am pretty sure both Portillos' and Schmitt's playing time is going to take a huge hit, with Portillos feeling the brunt of it. Quinn doesnt always go the full 90 so I can see Schmitt getting back in during those spells.

Feel free to insert some of their other sports teams in place of the word "Soccer", and the sentence could still hold true.

Now I should mention that I am not a member of the AK-Rowdies because when I go to the games I prefer to watch them without chanting. Me being a member of the Rowdies would be pointless.

But, this is why I don't stand directly behind the goal. I prefer to stand near the top of the hill so I can watch the game.

This is coming with tons of respect but I think the "I come to watch" mentality is another problem we have. I am no way coming at you personally either. I understand wanting to watch and see the game unfold but you can still join in on chants and songs. A big reason some of them dont carry and have time to pick up are because people who do know them and are right there refuse to do them. We don't need everyone to be over the top screaming and heckling but you can definitely chant and sing from the top of the hill and still watch the game.

My problem comes when we have tons of student fans who come to all the games and "love" this team but refuse to do what the team and our Coach wish that we would to. Were not here entertaining ourselves. A lot of what we do is directly requested from Caleb Porter. Its not just for ROWDIES either. I understand wanting to watch the game. We play beautiful soccer. But alot of fans need to realize that we are part of the game and that the games aren't just for your entertainment. We do have a purpose as fans

Don't get me wrong, I don't just stand there when we score. I scream and yell along with everyone else. But because chanting isn't my thing, I did not join the Rowdies. I don't stand up front hogging a spot that someone else could be using who would be more vocal.

Also, can someone fill me in on why Holmes was unavailable the first six games?