The Band and Soccer, is it necessary?

The band was annoying.Worse still was the band freaking playing when ever our playerswere attacking the opponent in the box. Communication is lost.Leading to missed opportunities.Time the racket for when play is not close to them.
whats the difference between the band and 1000 students with noisemakers on corner and free kicks close to the box? Isnt fan support via making tons of noise part of the game? Im against the band playing while we're on defense, but when we're attacking, we need to make tons of noise so the defense cant communicate... thats just my opinion since thats essentially what we do already sans the band.
Good point. caveat please: We were attacking and the players were trying to communicate as they attacked when the drums drowned them out. The play fizzled.Personally, I believe the players love to hear the Rowdies and other Zips fans voices.

the band and the rowdies could use some practice. The only problem is the consistency of the band showing up. If they made it a priority to come to every game, it would be worth having them. What was on display last night didn't work. They need to learn to play in between chants. Imagine if you went to an opera and the orchestra started beating on the drums real loud while a song is being sang. The issues with the band syncing with the rowdies is worth discussion.

Last I heard from this website, most of the rowdies don't even know or participate in the chants. So why get after the band? Of course the bands gonna drowned out a small handful of people.
chants were actually really good the past few games. They started good on Wednesday but that quickly changed when the band started to play over the chants.

Guys, the band comes to one game a year. It happens every year. The band director does it because from his perspective it is a favor to Porter and to the team. I'd say at least half the students in the band don't come to soccer regularly and I'd say they probably don't really know the soccer culture too well. They are asked to come play and so they come play because it's what they enjoy doing. They probably won't be back as a whole for anymore games this year so just get over it. How about we stop looking for other people to blame and focus on how we can be better fans?

oh, and here's an idea.... how about the "hard-core" roudies spread out a bit, rather than just compressing behind the goal? Go out and make the rest of the fans chant! Its just like Basketball were the small pocket of loud roudies could disperse and really get the audience going. If Baker can get the whole grandstand cheering, just think what 100 crazy roudies spread throughout the stadium could do!

oh, and here's an idea.... how about the "hard-core" roudies spread out a bit, rather than just compressing behind the goal? Go out and make the rest of the fans chant! Its just like Basketball were the small pocket of loud roudies could disperse and really get the audience going. If Baker can get the whole grandstand cheering, just think what 100 crazy roudies spread throughout the stadium could do!
They're not compressed behind the goal. The loud students are already scattered into several small groups throughout the crowd. I think they would be more effective compressed together like in basketball. One unified, loud voice instead of students being out of sync and quiet.

Does anybody know the team's record over the past six years when the pep band is in attendance? I believe that it is significantly worse than our regular winning percentage.
I don't know the exact record but since i started keeping track personally we are 0-1-3.Fact is, the band massacred the atmosphere. It wouldn't even be so bad if they didn't play the same crap they play at football games. We try to do our things and they just drown us out. And of course I don't think it's fair to blame the loss on them, but it really did RUIN the experience of the game for anyone on the Hill. Actually, I was part of the RCR/Rowdie satellite group that went to the west side under the scoreboard after half time and I heard complaints from average fans who weren't entirely pleased with it either. Personally, I thought it was bad even from across the entire length of the field. Don't get me wrong though, I don't want to exclude the band, I just think less of them should bring instruments to the games. BUT I can fix this:1) Cut the band size in half.2) Learn the music to our chants (i'll supply it, i have all of them, just email me at mike@akronsportsnow.com)There.

We do spread out. We take about 40 of us to the west side whenever the opponent's goalie is on that side. It definitely livens the area up a bit.The real problem is that most people are content to just sit on their hands and stay quiet throughout the entirety of the game. I know some of you on this board are part of that group of fans too. I don't care if you're 50 or a 20 year old college student, have some fun and loosen up. The chants are easy to learn and if you have a few beers in you, it isn't too hard to let go and get loud. I'd love to hear from anyone who finds it hard to join in too, i'd really like to know why.

We do spread out. We take about 40 of us to the west side whenever the opponent's goalie is on that side. It definitely livens the area up a bit.The real problem is that most people are content to just sit on their hands and stay quiet throughout the entirety of the game. I know some of you on this board are part of that group of fans too. I don't care if you're 50 or a 20 year old college student, have some fun and loosen up. The chants are easy to learn and if you have a few beers in you, it isn't too hard to let go and get loud. I'd love to hear from anyone who finds it hard to join in too, i'd really like to know why.
We had this same ZNO conversation a few weeks ago and the general consensus was that the Rowdies needed to congregate behind the goal so that they could hear each other. Oranizing/synchronizing the chants while spread out was next to impossible.

Fact is, the band massacred the atmosphere. It wouldn't even be so bad if they didn't play the same crap they play at football games.
The band has added several songs to their selection (per request from people on this board) and play one new "modern" song for every pregame. I'm sure they appreciate you taking notice of them making the change you wanted :wave:

I suggest the AK Rowdies add White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army to the repertoire. That would sound awesome in conjunction with the Pep Band (or any band)! :rock:
I swear we used to do this a couple years agoAm I making that up?
They've been playing it for basketball games for a couple of years.