Paul Winters Overall Record (Wayne State)

afootball

If this was the Zips, I would want them to be 91-0 in the same number of games, but that's not within reality. Given the situation Paul took over, it seems about right. If Paul does get the job, I would like him to have a quick turnaround. In four years, I don't want our best win total to be 4 or 5 games. I would expect 4-5 wins, if not more, his second season. Everyone else in the MAC does it...Why not us?

48-43 Overall Record in 8 years at Wayne State

39-43 Conference Record in 8 years at Wayne State (GLIAC)

Is this what we want?

YES Winters is who we want.

It is a bit weird that you show up now. So it makes me think you are an existing board member under a new name...a Loefler freind or family member drumming up support...or someone from the administration testing the waters because they decided to go in another direction (highly doubt this last one). In any case...the suspense will not last long. The new HC will be announced within 2 days and I suspect we will see the last of your name here.

Is this what we want?

No.

Why would we? See if someone at the I-AA level will give you a try with that record first, and we'll take a look at you again next time we need a coach. That's what I think.

He's barely above 500 in a lower division. Even the D1aa guys aren't calling him up.

I get the Akron love and all, but geez. PW is settling big time.

Even if he could do at Akron what he did at WSU, do we really want to be a 500 team? I understand that right now that sounds great, but if he gets us to 500 and we stay there for the next 10 years that won't be a good thing.

Akron fans are so apathetic that they are happy with average. That's sad. IMHO.

Being a head coach is being a head coach.

Winters has done it and has taken a program from the dumps to the brink of a national championship.

Akron has done the on the job training push with the last three head coaches and all failed.

This is a program management issue. Paul has the experience in the key category that most others do not, he's been a head coach.

Winters has done it and has taken a program from the dumps to the brink of a national championship.

Akron has done the on the job training push with the last three head coaches and all failed.

This is a program management issue. Paul has the experience in the key category that most others do not, he's been a head coach.

Sure, It doesn't matter what level. That's what Notre Dame thought when they hired Gerry in 1979. And Gerry's teams at Moeller could have destroyed most D-II teams.

There's a reason why we designate different levels of college football.

Is this what we want?

I'm sorry, but that's just a terrible-- as in really terrible-- take. Eight years ago, Wayne State was to Div-II football what UA is now in the FBS... the worst program in the country.

Saturday, Winters had Wayne State competing for a national championship, having won four playoff games on the road. A guy who can take the nation's worst program and do that, is one heckuva a coach and leader of young men. That's the kind of guy we should get, if we can get him.

I'm sorry, but that's just a terrible-- as in really terrible-- take. Eight years ago, Wayne State was to Div-II football what UA is now in the FBS... the worst program in the country.

Akron has been bad for 6 seasons. If you go by current rules, we would have been bowl eligible 7 times in our D-I life time. We have been terrible for the past 2 seasons.

Wayne state had 2 winning seasons in 25 years. He took a team far worse off then Akron in a city that doesn't even identify with the school they are at, and in an economically depressed area and recruited well enough to build a winner, and then coached well enough to get a chance at a National Championship.

But for some reason that isn't a good resume.

I care who gets it, but I'm not picking a guy because several have a good resume. But I'm tired of this "D-II doesn't matter" and "his record sucked".

Sure, It doesn't matter what level. That's what Notre Dame thought when they hired Gerry in 1979. And Gerry's teams at Moeller could have destroyed most D-II teams.

There's a reason why we designate different levels of college football.

Well, Faust was a great recruiter and a great motivator, but I'd argue he was never a truly great coach at any level. He had a lot of great coaches working with him at Moeller to coach up the strongest roster in the state. Notre Dame got themselves a great recruiter who happened to be a mediocre coach at best. Fortunately for them and for Lou Holtz, they got rid of Faust before the great players he recruited were gone.

Winters has already proven himself as a successful assistant and as a head coach and as a recruiter. Faust never did. Neither did RI.