New Conference

I thought Mack's comments to Rasor about a Big East break up were really interesting. He seemed to be setting his sights on being ready for that possibility, which I think is fantastic-- lay the groundwork now based on current momentum and be ready if and when it happens. Is the Big East is going to spin apart as the gravitational pull of football and basketball pull in opposite directions-- is it reasonable to hope that Akron could be a solid contender to pick up a slot in a new IA fb and bb conference?

Akron needs to win a few more MAC titles and bowl games, before they start worrying about the Big East.
Nobody is "worried" about it, they are only speculating.When your AD speaks on the subject, I would say it has some merit.Questions to Mack:In 10 years, what conference do you see Akron in?The best conference that we can be in. That might bethe Mid-American Conference, that may not be. Thebottom line is we need to concentrate on ourselves. Weneed to do whatever we can to make the program as goodas it can be. In 10 years, that may be theMid-American Conference and it may not be.What about the Big East?My opinion is that the Big East is going to have ahard time staying together with 16 teams forbasketball. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next twoor three years some of those basketball schools, whodon’t play football, start their own conference. Ifthat happens, the Big East will go somewhere else tobring in new colleges. All the sudden, the dominoeffect happens like it did last year. Again, I want toreiterate that the MAC conference is a greatconference. All we can do is control our own destinyand make ourselves the best that we can be.

He was asked about the Big East and he gave a general answer. I wouldn't read much more into it, at least not now. But it is interesting to think about. It's hard to believe that the Big East would seriously pursue Akron until it was satisfed that Akron's fan attendance at games, particularly in football, would be satisfactory, meaning crowds of at least 20-25,000 on a regular basis. Plus, the new stadium would probably have to be larger than what is currenty projected. Most Big East football schools have a 40,000+ capacity, I believe.The Big East does favor schools located in mid-sized urban areas, so Akron's got that going for it. Nobody ever mentions C-USA as a possibility. That strikes me as too much of a sideways move.

The same is happening in Toledo and it has created some light buzz. I agree that this remains an interesting topic and I hope Akron, Toledo, and a few more MAC schools (just not Can't or BG ;) ) get a look by the Big East 5 years down the road.

absolutely just interesting conversation at this point, but let's use Pitt as an example again. They play their fottball games at Heinz field. Most of the available seats are sold to season ticket holders. They play their basketball in Peterson Events Center which seats 12,500. You are correct: You have to put butts in the seats to even be considered. To the conference, it is about attracting national attention and making money!