Zips in the MLS, NASL, USLPro 2012 Season Thread

Fox broadcasted an EPL game on the main national channel during the MLS Cup. It's odd because it's extremely rare for them to broadcast a soccer game on their national channel. I assume the reason Fox did this is because they weren't happy the MLS Cup was being broadcasted on ESPN.

The MLS made the right move with NBC. Fox treated the MLS like a 2nd rate league, NBC treats the MLS with a lot more respect and do a better job covering the games than anyone else.

It seems each team have their own announcers and I think only 3 or 4 teams have an announcer with a UK accent. I have Matchday Live and I love it. It's only $50 and well worth it. There's a thread on Zipsnation with a coupon code in it. I also posted a few things in this thread about the MLS's progress this year

I'm not sure if this topic deserves its own thread, but I'm returning to the subject of MLS television coverage in 2012. It appears (now that I'm back on "American" soil), that not only has Fox lost MLS coverage on its premier soccer vehicle (the one called "Fox SOCCER Network"), but also on it's regional networks. This is clearly more than just a loss for Fox, but a huge loss for MLS! For example, Fox West and Prime Ticket were the regional broadcasters of both Los Angeles franchises, but now, best as I can make out both the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA have NO local TV coverage any longer. How can that possibly be a good thing for Major League Soccer? Are the Columbus Crew still having their games broadcast by Fox, or some other regional TV Net? Whether or not Fox gave MLS the respect it may have deserved is now reduced to the quest for any day-to-day coverage whatever. Rather than competing with Premier League, Serie A, and whatever other stuff FSC had on it's lineup, MLS must now compete against the NHL, cycling, all kinds of outdoor stuff, and gets probably less than 2% of the NBCSN's time whereby they were a daily feature at least on Fox Soccer with highlights, rebroadcasts and regular ads/teasers for upcoming games. All this (the changeover) seemed to happen with no foremention to fans. Yes -- they Foxed up again -- but the real losers seem to be US soccer fans (again!).

edit/addendum: Looking at the Galaxy and Chivas TV schedules, I see that Chivas is still having SOME of their games (about 1/2) broadcast by Fox West or Prime Ticket, while the Galaxy has gone exclusively to a local L.A. station for local broadcast. I wonder if Becks, Keane and Donovan no longer sell outside LA County.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if this topic deserves its own thread, but I'm returning to the subject of MLS television coverage in 2012. It appears (now that I'm back on "American" soil), that not only has Fox lost MLS coverage on its premier soccer vehicle (the one called "Fox SOCCER Network"), but also on it's regional networks. This is clearly more than just a loss for Fox, but a huge loss for MLS! For example, Fox West and Prime Ticket were the regional broadcasters of both Los Angeles franchises, but now, best as I can make out both the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA have NO local TV coverage any longer. How can that possibly be a good thing for Major League Soccer? Are the Columbus Crew still having their games broadcast by Fox, or some other regional TV Net? Whether or not Fox gave MLS the respect it may have deserved is now reduced to the quest for any day-to-day coverage whatever. Rather than competing with Premier League, Serie A, and whatever other stuff FSC had on it's lineup, MLS must now compete against the NHL, cycling, all kinds of outdoor stuff, and gets probably less than 2% of the NBCSN's time whereby they were a daily feature at least on Fox Soccer with highlights, rebroadcasts and regular ads/teasers for upcoming games. All this (the changeover) seemed to happen with no foremention to fans. Yes -- they Foxed up again -- but the real losers seem to be US soccer fans (again!).

edit/addendum: Looking at the Galaxy and Chivas TV schedules, I see that Chivas is still having SOME of their games (about 1/2) broadcast by Fox West or Prime Ticket, while the Galaxy has gone exclusively to a local L.A. station for local broadcast. I wonder if Becks, Keane and Donovan no longer sell outside LA County.

It's the opposite of what you think. The Galaxy landed a deal with Time Warner Cable for all of their local home games. A 10 year deal worth $55 million.

Fox Sports Ohio upgraded their Crew coverage by adding the Cleveland market this year. Sucks for those with Matchday Live because home games are now blocked out in the Akron area.

Donovan Ricketts will be with the Jamaican National Team May 27 - June 14, let's hope Evan Bush can get some playing time.

Vancouver wrote an article featuring Darren Mattocks: Coming of age, Youngsters Mattocks, Salgado impress in Seattle draw

“Darren Mattocks was fantastic,” head coach Martin Rennie told reporters after Saturday’s match. “His movement – He was so sharp. He got in great positions, an obvious area he has to improve upon. He caused them all sorts of problems, as did Omar on the other side.

Fast Forward to 1:33

It's the opposite of what you think. The Galaxy landed a deal with Time Warner Cable for all of their local home games. A 10 year deal worth $55 million.

Fox Sports Ohio upgraded their Crew coverage by adding the Cleveland market this year. Sucks for those with Matchday Live because home games are now blocked out in the Akron area.

Thanks for the news Bobby. But, as much as I hate the Galaxy, they were one of only two teams (Chivas the other) available on Fox West/Prime Ticket -- and even though Time Warner is the ONLY cable provider in Hawaii, the CA TW broadcasts are not available here. So why am I paying over $100 a month for this system??? :gun:

Thanks for the news Bobby. But, as much as I hate the Galaxy, they were one of only two teams (Chivas the other) available on Fox West/Prime Ticket -- and even though Time Warner is the ONLY cable provider in Hawaii, the CA TW broadcasts are not available here. So why am I paying over $100 a month for this system??? :gun:

Pay the $51 for Matchday Live. The LA games that are on TWC aren't blocked out. The only games blocked out are the games on ESPN, NBCSports, Galavision/Univision, and home Crew games. I think the Canadian games are blocked out every now and then when they're on TSN. I <3 Matchday Live.

Steve Zakuani is starting tonight in a reserve match against the Whitecaps.

Darren Mattocks and Michael Nanchoff also started for the Whitecaps reserves in the match. I was fortunate enough to attend part of this match in Tukwila, WA very near SEA-TAC airport while awaiting a red-eye back to Cleveland. Zakuani looked good and had a nice opportunity to score, but the Vancouver GK made a great play. Nanchoff had an assist on Vancouver's first goal (a corner kick by Michael that was headed in by a teammate). Darren completely outran (imagine that :) ) one of the Sounders' defenders to go 1-on-1 with the Sounders' GK who made the save. Vancouver was leading 1-0 when I had to leave to catch my flight. They went on to win 2-1. I have some pictures of Steve, Darren, and Michael that I'll try to post later.

The Sounders' fans LOVE Steve Zakuani. Every time he touched the ball, the applause/cheering was LOUD and Steve graciously acknowledged them.

(I admit, as a HUGE Zips Soccer fanatic, I was like a little kid in being able to attend this match...that the timing and location just happened to work out, and that not only Zakuani, but Mattocks and Nachoff were in the match.)

Edit: http://www.soundersfc.com/news/articles/20...-whitecaps.aspx

Darren Mattocks and Michael Nanchoff also started for the Whitecaps reserves in the match. I was fortunate enough to attend part of this match in Tukwila, WA very near SEA-TAC airport while awaiting a red-eye back to Cleveland. Zakuani looked good and had a nice opportunity to score, but the Vancouver GK made a great play. Nanchoff had an assist on Vancouver's first goal (a corner kick by Michael that was headed in by a teammate). Darren completely outran (imagine that :) ) one of the Sounders' defenders to go 1-on-1 with the Sounders' GK who made the save. Vancouver was leading 1-0 when I had to leave to catch my flight. They went on to win 2-1. I have some pictures of Steve, Darren, and Michael that I'll try to post later.

The Sounders' fans LOVE Steve Zakuani. Every time he touched the ball, the applause/cheering was LOUD and Steve graciously acknowledged them.

(I admit, as a HUGE Zips Soccer fanatic, I was like a little kid in being able to attend this match...that the timing and location just happened to work out, and that not only Zakuani, but Mattocks and Nachoff were in the match.)

Edit: http://www.soundersfc.com/news/articles/20...-whitecaps.aspx

My pictures

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/6/1/305...her-step-closer

by Dave Clark on Jun 1, 2012 10:24 PM PDT in Sounders: Academy, U23 PDL and Reserves

Tonight's 2-1 Reserve loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps has two stories for Seattle Sounders fans. One is much larger than the other. It was the story that caused people to change their plans, to adjust their schedules, to come to Starfire a third straight night. Steve Zakuani is back. Or closer to back. Or however you want to parse the language.

"Today is a great day," Zakuani said to the press post game. "I got to see the fans, the fans got to see me. It's great to be in front of the fans again. It's a bit emotional also, because it's been 13 months. I feel good because I'm going in the right direction."

And the fans did get to see him. There were glimpses of what he was. There was knowledge of what he'll be. There was an attempted chip that was a bit too low. Steve Zakuani wants that attempt back, because he knows exactly what his mistake was. If he gets that same opportunity again he almost certainly makes it. This evening wasn't about performance for Zakuani though.

"Today was more than a result. It wasn't about performance," he said with a smile. "It was crossing off another on a really, really big checklist. I did it so I'm happy. I'm going to go home and tomorrow I'm going to be sore, but it's a really good feeling."

He was clear. It's going to be a long time before you see exactly the same Steve Zakuani. He spent most of the night as a forward. He used a lot of burst speed. It wasn't the same speed, but close. There were a few times he made those endline runs that were his signature in 2010. His crosses were usually low. He's not going to wait until he's 100% to tell Sigi he's ready. He wants to contribute as soon as he can contribute, even in short periods of time. But it will be different.

"The fans are going to have to understand that it's going to be a while before they see me picking up the ball on the halfway line dribbling 50 yards with the ball. If they can understand that it's going to take time, he said, "then it will be good. I need more games like this because that's the only way I'm going to get it back. Training's good, but I need more games. I'm hungry to get into the real thing."

Seattle Sounders fans are hungry too. Several hundred whetted their appetite on a Friday night. They saw the new Steve Zakuani. He's a lot like the one you remember. A man with many friends throughout the league. One who is generous and thanks many for helping him in his time of need. He's also still a man that looks right with a soccer ball a few yards ahead of him so he can sprint on to it. Even if he doesn't think he can yet.

GOAL Mattocks. 66th minute. Vancouver leads Houston 2-0 on Mattocks' brace.

Edit: Whitecaps 3-1 Final. Darren subbed out before the full 90 minutes. Nano subbed in later for the 3 minutes of stoppage.

Edit 2:

Whitecaps FC defeat Houston Dynamo to start the month of June, Mattocks scores twice; late Harvey goal in 3-1 home win

Darren Mattocks became the first Whitecaps FC player to score two goals in an MLS match this season, as the young Jamaican’s brace helped the Blue and White end a three-match winless run in MLS, and a five-match winless streak in all competitions, on Bell Pitch at BC Place.

http://soundersu23.com/home/636607.html Nice article about DeAndre.

Oops...put in wrong thread.

Well, that article just answered all the boring, prying questions I have been asking you over the past year.

I should have waited for this piece and saved everyone the bother. ;)