OSU fan poll

FearTheRoo

Are you a Suckeye's fan or not?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I mean, growing up I had no connections to any MAC schools and no inkling that I would go to one. The Buckeyes were the Ohio school that was on the radio and TV and which everyone around me rooted for. I also had relatives that attended. As I was coming through H.S. though I didn't see me going into that behemoth campus atmosphere and started out at a small college instead before transferring to Akron. I'm not a tOSU fan per se but I still prefer to see them beat Michigan or compete for a nat'l championship, as opposed to a Miami or UCLA, etc. Yes, their bandwagon fans are legion but it's no different than any other "big school". Most of their fans never went to college and basically view them as a home state 'professional' franchise. They're not a direct competitor with Akron (except we have to schedule football games around them) so I don't have the deep hatred for them that some MACsters do. Sure would be nice to pull the upset in 07 though.

What a joke of a poll. Even the way you worded it is stupid. First of all, they are the Buckeyes...quit using Jim Rome's catch phrases and come up with your own material. Second of all, being an Ohio State fan has no effect on how "loyal" of a UA fan you are. The two teams are in different conferences and hardly ever play each other. Why can't someone who goes to UA also cheer for OSU (as long as they cheer for the Zips on the rare occasion the two actually do play). Most people are OSU fans because they grew up cheering for OSU. I didn't grow up in Akron...what reason would I have had to be a Zips fan until I decided to go to school at UA? OSU ends up reprenting the state because 1) They're damn good, 2) They don't share a conference with any other ohio teams, 3) They have more tradition than any other school in Ohio. You can dislike OSU if you want, but please don't try telling me or anyone else that I'm not a loyal Zips fan if I cheer for the Buckeyes as well.

I can't even believe this is up for discussion. Why wouldn't a kid growing up in Ohio root for Ohio State? Who knows at the age of 9 or 10 what school you're gonna attend after high school? Personally, I didn't even come to Akron until I was 20 years old. Are you going to be critical of me for not being born here? I root for the Zips, I have for over 20 years. I cannot even count how many years I have held season tickets at the Rubber Bowl. It's just my opinion, but I don't think the two things are even related. OSU is a Big Ten school and we only see them once every 3 or 4 years or so why do you people even care? It's a dumb topic and a stupid discussion and I am sorry I even got caught up in it. :wall:

Hey SGM...get a sense of humor! Man, you take things too personally!!Sorry for the misspellings, but unfortunately I caught them after the post and you can't edit poll questions!Lastly, I too root for the Buckeyes....when they do not conflict with the ZIPS. I would never stay home to watch a Buckeyes fotoball or basketball game if I can go to a ZIPS game.i root for OSU because I am from Ohio. I like to see them succeed. I am a loyal ZIPS fan first.I posted this because there was such a hot discussion in the other thread that I felt a vote was needed.If you didn't like the question, you A$$ is probably so tight you'd make a diamond if someone shoved a piece of coal up there!!! :D:lol:;) :macc: :screwks:

FTR,We can just agree to disagree here...I'm just sick and tired of everyone trying to act like it's some horrible thing to root for both sqauds. And when someone questions people's loyalty and refers to them as traitors if they cheer for OSU and UA, I do take that personally...that's just me

I think it is a very good question to ask.In my opinion, Ohio State is a bigger competitor for Akron than any MAC school. I would bet a lot of people in the athletic department feel similarly.The Buckeyes take Akron's fan support, their recruits and their media coverage.
Do you really think there's a lot of recruits that would end up at Akron if not for Ohio State offers? It's a different level. It might be true that they pull more fans from us than other MAC schools, because small towns like Athens and Ohio tend to rally around the local team more than bigger cities...but is this a bigger problem for us than it is for Toledo, or even Can't and BG (in the shadows of those cities) in terms of fan support? Anyway, count me among the many posters (although the poll itself is going the other way) that roots for both (raised in Akron, attended OSU). I'll even take it a step further and say my passions for each is equal. However, I do root for Akron when they take on each other because a win in that scenario would benefit Akron far, far more than it would hurt OSU. I also buy more Akron gear/watch them on tv more if there's a conflict with OSU/etc., because OSU doesn't need my support. Well, neither does Akron, but you know what I mean.

I will never root for a school other than Akron unless it is a MAC school playing out of conference. I always want the MAC to be represented well. I wouldn't care if Columbus State closed its doors and their athletic teams were never heard from again. It is a state school in Columbus, just like Akron is a state school from Akron. I have no reason to root for a school from Columbus that does not even play in our conference. What next-should I root for Cincinnati because they are a state schoo from Ohio. This is stupid-Columbus school is another division I school-that competes with the Zips in multiple sports every year. This is the equivalent of being a Pirates fan and Indians fan. Since, they don't play each other often is ok to root for both? No! I root for the Zips! They are my team!!

I see your point (state university in another city, that's a refreshing perspective), but the "Ohio" name is on it, weather you like it or not, and thus, they must represent. Why I don't take that perspective with Ohio U, I can't answer. Perhaps someday (more likely in our dreams, but hey) if Akron is no longer a stranger to BCS ranking and NCAA successes, I can forget my desire that OSU be a representative of the whole state.

Have to say I like the fierce Akron loyalty. That you can even have the argument about competing for recruits with OSU shows how far Akron has come (reduction in NCAA scholarships in mid 90's changed things a lot). Still, I have to look at the bigger picture when it comes to rooting for OSU. OSU has been the national identity for college sports in Ohio for my entire lifetime. You couldn't turn on the TV on a Saturday afternoon in the Fall without OSU being on. Its kind of like a fraternity that you're born into - by the time you're old enough to know better, you're already a fan. I have never considered OSU to be really a rival to Akron. Who knows, though, FB and BB programs are headed in a very positive direction right now. University has dumped a bunch of money into campus and sports facility upgrades (can't believe when I first visted you could still drive right down the middle of campus!) A lot of the pieces seem to be coming together - good coaches, new facilities, consistent programs. Definitely seems like a much more attractive situation for blue chip athletes than probably any other time in Akron's history.To be honest, after living out of the state for so long now, and having to deal with stupid fans who couldn't find Ohio on a map let alone Akron, I tend to root for MAC teams in general against any other conferences. More publicity for the conference means more for Akron. Doesn't do them much good to be the best team in a conference nobody respects.

i have never been an ohio state fan, but that's mainly because i'm from oregon. when i came here i was disgusted with the amount of support students gave osu and how little they gave their own school. since i have come to school i have hated osu more and more, and the next time someone asks why i would waste my time with akron and not go to ohio state, i'll just give them a few choice words.go zips!

i have never been an ohio state fan, but that's mainly because i'm from oregon. when i came here i was disgusted with the amount of support students gave osu and how little they gave their own school. since i have come to school i have hated osu more and more, and the next time someone asks why i would waste my time with akron and not go to ohio state, i'll just give them a few choice words.go zips!
That's pretty funny since I have had a similar experience...a few years ago, I went to a cousin's wedding in Oregon (Portland Area), and when I told a couple people where I was from, they...they were not cool. Their attitude was sort of, "So what's it like to go from a rustbelt hellhole to paradise for a few days?"Oregon's beautiful and I had a great time, but MAN a lot of the locals are cocky, to say the least.

That's pretty funny since I have had a similar experience...a few years ago, I went to a cousin's wedding in Oregon (Portland Area), and when I told a couple people where I was from, they...they were not cool.  Their attitude was sort of, "So what's it like to go from a rustbelt hellhole to paradise for a few days?"Oregon's beautiful and I had a great time, but MAN a lot of the locals are cocky, to say the least.
oregon is beautiful and i love the state, but not my family...lol. my other option was ole miss, and i like akron a LOT better than ole miss. it's not that different, just a little colder here and the rivers are cleaner back home. :thumb:i think now a lot of oregon people hate ohio state because of the bcs bowls this year and university of oregon getting a snub even with having a better record (but i'm not going to touch the strength of schedule discussion here) :zzz:

Use the word Ohio to justify it but you probably could care less about OU. OSU steals recruits all the time. You don't see everyone from Indiana rooting for Indiana do you? OSU is keeping Akron from being the Purdue of Ohio.OSU is a threat and should be treated as such. They compete with Akron for recruits and fan support.I'm tired of seeing little kids running around in OSU clothes at the basketball game. This is making me a Michigan fan.