Rifle

GP1

This question is a serious as a heart attack. Explain how a Rifle tournament works. I always see posts, but I know zero about it. I know different types of rifles are used. What are they? How do they keep score? Etc.?

Good question and thanks for asking. The team uses the same equipment which is used in the summer Olympics. This equipment consists of a single shot .22 caliber rifle and a .177 caliber air rifle. The rifle is fired at 50 feet, and the air rifle is fired at 10 meters (33 ft). The smallbore rifle match is fired from the prone (lying down), Kneeling and Standing positions. They fire 20 shots in each position. Each shot is worth a maximum of 10 points. Doing the math, that gives you a possible 600 points for a perfect match. So far the record is a 598 by a guy from Korea. The air rifle is a little different. The targets are similar (10 points each), but all 60 shots are fired from the standing position. Again a possible 600 for the perfect match which has happened a few times (but more rare than winning the lottery twice this week). That said, a typical match involves getting there an hour early to set up and get in the "zone (mentally)." Then two hours for rifle, an hour break, and then two hours for air rifle. So the scores you see posted are usually how the athletes did out of a 60 shot match with a potential score of 600. Lastly, a team consists of 4 athletes. The challenge for the coach is to pick the top 4 before the match starts, and there is no substitutions. The curse (in a good way) for Akron is the fact they have so many top notch athletes that choosing the top 4 is a real challenge. What a great problem to have! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Again, thanks for asking.

Good question and thanks for asking. The team uses the same equipment which is used in the summer Olympics. This equipment consists of a single shot .22 caliber rifle and a .177 caliber air rifle. The rifle is fired at 50 feet, and the air rifle is fired at 10 meters (33 ft). The smallbore rifle match is fired from the prone (lying down), Kneeling and Standing positions. They fire 20 shots in each position. Each shot is worth a maximum of 10 points. Doing the math, that gives you a possible 600 points for a perfect match. So far the record is a 598 by a guy from Korea. The air rifle is a little different. The targets are similar (10 points each), but all 60 shots are fired from the standing position. Again a possible 600 for the perfect match which has happened a few times (but more rare than winning the lottery twice this week). That said, a typical match involves getting there an hour early to set up and get in the "zone (mentally)." Then two hours for rifle, an hour break, and then two hours for air rifle. So the scores you see posted are usually how the athletes did out of a 60 shot match with a potential score of 600. Lastly, a team consists of 4 athletes. The challenge for the coach is to pick the top 4 before the match starts, and there is no substitutions. The curse (in a good way) for Akron is the fact they have so many top notch athletes that choosing the top 4 is a real challenge. What a great problem to have! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Again, thanks for asking.
Thanks for the answer. I had no idea.What are the bulky looking suits they are wearing on gozips.com?

first of all... riflebusdriver -> :thumb::bow: <- mesecond of all, those suits we wear are thick (usually) canvas pants and jackets. they are designed to be extremely rigid, providing stiffness and support while shooting. the pants provide additional back support for standing, which is necessary because in order to maintain balance holding a 13 lb. rifle you must have a little back bend. shooting without any type of bacCan't Statepport will eventually mess up your back pretty bad. the suits with the addition of the under garments also provide pulse suppression. now, they are stiff (my pants could stand up by themselves when i first got them) but it's not what makes us shoot high scores. it's not like anyone can throw on a suit and suddenly be olympic caliber. they mearly minimize the small twitches and movements that the body naturally makes. there are also specific rules on how thick the canvas, how tightly the jacket can be buttoned, and the types of under garments that can be worn. underneath you see a lot of shooters wearing spandex or breathable under armour type stuff. the rules say that under the pants nothing with a fly (dress slacks or jeans) can be worn. because of the layers and how heavy the outer suits are, shooters need something that will make it easy to get in and out of the suits as well as wick away sweat to keep them cool. then over the spandex usually goes a shooting sweater. most sweaters have a double zipper, padded elbows, some type of breathable weave, and are nice and thick to suppress pulse. shooting in a jacket without a sweater can be tough, because inside the suits are rough and can rub weird (i had bloody knuckles for the first week in my new jacket from trying to get my arm in). as far as what is underneath, that's personal preference for the shooter. as you use your suits more, you break them in to a comfortable level, and eventually after several year they'll be worn out. if taken care of properly they can last a long time. any other questions?

• 3 weeks later...

I want to apologize to everyone on the Rifle team for not posting and giving comments as I usually do. I've been very busy as of late and haven't had much time to visit. Great job capturing the WIRC and a strong showing in the MAC. The BusDriver and ZR32 have stepped up in my deliquency. Keep up the good work!