Just hypothetically...

In your opinions, what scenario would most benefit Zips athletics - making the NCAA tourney but getting knocked out in the 1st round, or making it to the Final Four (and Madison Square Garden) of the NIT?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every recruit wants to compete in the NCAA tourney during their college career. You are at a distince disadvantage when recruiting against a team that's been there recently if your school has not.If you are a recruit, what sounds better:A.) "You want to play in the NCAA tourney? Come play for us, we've been there the past 2 seasons. We need a guy like YOU to go deeper in the tourney next season!"orB.) "We won games in the NIT last season. We need YOU so we can make the NCAA tourney next year."For the great players, "A" wins every time. NIT wins only help you in recruiting against lower-tier teams.

St. Joes, Memphis, South Carolina and Maryland were in last years NIT final four. South Carolina beat St. Joes to win it. How about this for an answer, Akron would benifit from not sitting at home this year. Either the NIT or the NCAA tourney would be a hell of alot better than nothing. Personaly I would rather make it to the final four of the NIT. To get there you are going to have to beat some pretty high caliber teams. There are lot of teams that make it to the first round of the NCAA tourney and no one cares. Hell i would rather play a play in game, then knock off a huge team. People will remember that before they will remember that Iona was even in the dance. Akron in the NIT still beats Can't playing in the special olympics.

There are lot of teams that make it to the first round of the NCAA tourney and no one cares. Hell i would rather play a play in game, then knock off a huge team. People will remember that before they will remember that Iona was even in the dance.
When everyone, including recruits, is filling out their picks for the NCAA'S no one will remember who it was that played in the nit. That's the nature of the beast. If you truly knew who was in the final four of the nit and who won the tournament, my hats off to you. :thumb: You are definately in the minority. imho. :cheers:

St. Joes, Memphis, South Carolina and Maryland were in last years NIT final four. South Carolina beat St. Joes to win it.
who gives a shit? i do agree that any post season play is better than none. i stand corrected on the NIT champ playing for 65th place, it's actually 66th. i mean no disprespect to you, you seem like a big college hoops fan and i appreciate that. i just feel the majority of the people, asides from the actual schools involved, could care less about the NIT.

There is no doubt that everyone here would love to us win the MAC tourney and go to the big dance. If we lose there is no real possibilty of us gettin in to the NCAA. So the NIT will be better than nothing. Also i might add if we are seated high enough we could even get a game or two at the JAR. Either way ill be excited to see us in the post season.

Wow, good poll. I voted NCAA but it's close, 24-22 in favor of the "Big Dance." The NIT winner is NOT the "65th best" team, be nice. But one and out in the NCAA would still give the school more general recognition. The question gets tougher if Akron were to win the NIT. How would people measure that with NCAA Tourny? B) See ya at the Q/Gateway/Gund