We need to have fans at BGSU

ZachTheZip

It's become clear that Akron has only two games on the schedule where they will be completely focused, and both of them are against Ohio.

The crowd willed the team to victory tonight. The same thing needs to happen on Wednesday at BG, since I fear the players will be looking ahead. If any Zips fans can make the 2-hour drive (no worse than going from Canton to Cleveland), I hope they go. With any luck, the AK-Rowdies will get a bus and send some loud students there.

It's become clear that Akron has only two games on the schedule where they will be completely focused, and both of them are against Ohio.

The crowd willed the team to victory tonight. The same thing needs to happen on Wednesday at BG, since I fear the players will be looking ahead. If any Zips fans can make the 2-hour drive (no worse than going from Canton to Cleveland), I hope they go. With any luck, the AK-Rowdies will get a bus and send some loud students there.

I will be for sure making the trip, and right now Its just me. I'm willing to go by myself but carpooling would be nice too. Regardless, I'll be there. Go zips.

In the interests of geographic accuracy, it's 146 miles from UA to BGSU, and 60 miles from Canton to Cleveland. A better comparison would be Columbus to Cleveland (143 miles).

In the interest of actually driving between the two places, it's not much longer. There's not a lot of traffic out in the cornfields.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for the team, but I don't think this is a fair statement. In six MAC games, the average margin of victory has been 11 points. Only the Can't game and last night were games they could have really lost.

I know I shouldn't say this, but as a fan, I'm not too worried about taking care of business at BG. If there are two programs that KD has had their number they would be the Falcons and Western Michigan. Even in close games (see last year at Stroh) the Zips seem to find a way to win. Couple that with BG having one of their worst teams in recent memory, I'm not too concerned. I have other commitments Wednesday night, so I won't be at the game, but I am expecting a Zips win. It may be a little closer than many would like if the Zips are too focused on Saturday's matchup with OU, but it should be a W none-the-less.

If you've got room for another, I'll chip in for gas.

We definitely have room as we have at least two cars going now. We're organizing it on the wall of this group on facebook. RSVP there.

Anyone else who's interested in joining our carpool/group, we are leaving at 4pm from Lot Nine. Feel free to post in the group or on here with your intentions so we can better gauge the seating situation.

I don't know how many fans we have making the trip. Think we can get 50?

75 Rowdies were enough to be a major presence at Can't, in a packed arena with a rivalry atmosphere. I think 50 noisy Zips fans would be more than enough to take over the small crowd expected tomorrow.

Sorry to pick on you Zach, but you might be the 10th person i've seen/talked to today that's said "tomorrow" (as in Tuesday) for the game. I was starting to think I was going crazy, but the game is indeed WEDNESDAY.

Sorry to pick on you Zach, but you might be the 10th person i've seen/talked to today that's said "tomorrow" (as in Tuesday) for the game. I was starting to think I was going crazy, but the game is indeed WEDNESDAY.

I'm just so ready to get this week overwith. Call it wishful thinking.

I have just picked myself off of the floor after discovering a fact about this game that absolutely blows my mind:

BGSU has a player who's ranked ahead of Zeke in a national shot blocking category!

Really. I kid you not. Zeke is currently #5 in the country in blocks, blocks per game and block percentage. But he's #2 in the MAC in one of those categories. BGSU has an obscure 6-8, 214-pound sophomore forward by the name of Richaun Holmes. He only plays about 18 minutes per game. He's #19 nationally in blocks and #16 in blocks per game due to only playing short minutes. But in block percentage -- the percentage of shots a player blocks while he's on the floor -- Holmes is #2 in the country. He only scores about 5 points per game, but he shoots better than 60% from the field. He's also a decent rebounder. But the big deal is that he blocks a larger percentage of shots while he's on the floor than Zeke. I've never even heard of this guy before stumbling across this stat. I hope the Zips are aware of this.

Found some background on Richaun Holmes. He played last season at Moraine Valley Community College, earning National Junior College Athletic Association Division II All-American honors. Holmes led the country in shot-blocking with a total of 169, averaging 5.6 per game. He also averaged 18.4 points on 62% field goal shooting -- fourth-best in the nation -- and 78% from the free throw line. He nearly averaged a double-double with 9.2 rebounds per game. Pretty impressive junior college performer whose shot-blocking ability is carrying over to DI.