Owl City coming to campus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me how OU gets Kendrick Lamar, Can't State gets Kid Cudi, and even Cleveland State (of all places) gets Jay-Z? Meanwhile, Akron snags....Owl City.

I'm not suggesting that any of the other artists are good, but at least they're relevant...

Akron is really slacking. They need to get the Black Keys at the Info. Market it as a "homecoming"...Dan and Pat love Akron, and even took classes here. I guarantee they would do it. (charge for non students. The U could make a killing.) Invite Lebron and make it a all around Akron-centric event. ;)

I don't know. Anything to fill up that stadium, because football sure isn't cutting it.

Yep..Kendrick will be at Can't next weekend as well.

I dont get it. Well, I do get it, we arent willing to fork over the money. No reason for us not to bring the same quality as other schools our size.

We've thrown down more money than you think on some of these acts the last few years.

I know for a fact that we could have gotten Jack's Mannequin, Gin Blossoms, or the Black Keys for the price of Swayze a few years ago. Very weak.

Can someone explain to me how OU gets Kendrick Lamar, Can't State gets Kid Cudi, and even Cleveland State (of all places) gets Jay-Z? Meanwhile, Akron snags....Owl City.

I'm not suggesting that any of the other artists are good, but at least they're relevant...

Akron is really slacking. They need to get the Black Keys at the Info. Market it as a "homecoming"...Dan and Pat love Akron, and even took classes here. I guarantee they would do it. (charge for non students. The U could make a killing.) Invite Lebron and make it a all around Akron-centric event. ;)

I don't know. Anything to fill up that stadium, because football sure isn't cutting it.

Not disagreeing with you but Black Keys already played here about 5 years ago at the PAH. Also, UA will argue with you by saying as they do every year, "the students voted for Owl City".

Not disagreeing with you but Black Keys already played here about 5 years ago at the PAH.

Wow...I wish I could have made it to that show. But that was also a couple years TBK were relevant nationally.

Also, UA will argue with you by saying as they do every year, "the students voted for Owl City". Of course what that really means is that we gave "the students" such a narrow and crappy selection, that the only ones who voted (about 1,100 in total) were the small minority of brown nosing teeny boppers who feel entertained by the usual UA pablum. While figures don't lie, liars figure.

LOL. What were the other options this year? I didn't even hear about the voting this year(gee, I wonder why only 1,000 students voted...). I have a hard time believing that Owl City could beat out anyone worth a damn.

Last year UA threw away $45,000 on the stinky 3OH3...what a joke.

:eek: What a waste! This reminds of local politics. A few hundred elderly people vote in favor of a senior center and the entire town is forced to pay for it. The University should either better publicize the voting process or drop the paper thin veil of 'democracy'.

And to answer your question as to why Can't State, OU and OSU get better entertainment is simple...those three universities are better universities. I hate to admit it but it is pretty obvious. In some areas Akron still behaves like a glorified high school. :D

To be clear, I said CSU! CSU has like what...500 students living on campus? I know they can get big acts because of locale, but Akron can certainly do as well as Ohio U. Athens is in BFE.

LOL. What were the other options this year? I didn't even hear about the voting this year(gee, I wonder why only 1,000 students voted...). I have a hard time believing that Owl City could beat out anyone worth a damn.

I don't know what the other options were. They never tell me. I think the reason why so little students bother to vote is because the process is so contaminated that most students see through the game and don't bother. If you are a student and did not get to vote, you might want to ask around and see how many others did not get the opportunity. Students or not, you guys need to make your dissapointment known to administrators. They all have e mails.

The original Springfest.

...and what was the content of the original springfest? Do any of you realize that so called springfest is not a new event? UA has been celebrating Spring and the end of the academic year for the past 140 years. Our university brought the Rolling Stones and more to campus facilities in the past. Why does UA pretend that every day is the first day of the existence of our campus?

When is the last time the ZPN or RHPB have put together a decent event?

RHPB has always been a pathetic organization that never once brought quality programming to the campus. ZPN is even worse and represents how UA administrators manipulate stupid college students into thinking that they have an authentic say in student entertainment. As it stands now, UA will diminish in enrollment and Can't State will increase.

When is the last time the ZPN or RHPB have put together a decent event?

Probably when they had MGK in town a year or two ago. The line to get in was out the door and wrapped around the building. In their infinite wisdom, UA decided to hold the event in a small venue that holds about 100 people. They probably turned away hundreds more.

My guess is that they were expecting a turnout similar to what they usually get for no-name comedians and washed up pop-stars. When more people showed up they had no back up plan.

Edit: The next night Can't State had MGK on campus. They gave him a huge venue, which filled to capacity. He said that Can't State was easily the highlight of the weekend. UA officials has a knack for blowing these sort of things.

Probably when they had MGK in town a year or two ago. The line to get in was out the door and wrapped around the building. In their infinite wisdom, UA decided to hold the event in a small venue that holds about 100 people. They probably turned away hundreds more.

My guess is that they were expecting a turnout similar to what they usually get for no-name comedians and washed up pop-stars. When more people showed up they had no back up plan.

Edit: The next night Can't State had MGK on campus. They gave him a huge venue, which filled to capacity. He said that Can't State was easily the highlight of the weekend. UA officials has a knack for blowing these sort of things.

Who is MGK and what venue did UA use for that show? Also, it is interesting and well taken that UA has a knack for blowing these sort of things, yet we own and operate a 3,000 seat "world renown" performing arts hall that snubs UA students most days out of the year but has no problem burning up student funds for the sake of everyone but them....typical Akron!

I do like that we're finally using the stadium for something other than football, though.

The problem is that you can't just throw any piece of garbage in the stadium at the beginning and call it progress. The first step needs to be the best step otherwise all UA is doing is putting another pox on the Info. Look at other universities that have acts in their brand new venues. They go big with the inaugural show. Not UA. You would think that with all their overpaid leadership, they could find at least one person who knows what he is doing.

The problem is that you can't just throw any piece of garbage in the stadium at the beginning and call it progress. The first step needs to be the best step otherwise all UA is doing is putting another pox on the Info. Look at other universities that have acts in their brand new venues. They go big with the inaugural show. Not UA. You would think that with all their overpaid leadership, they could find at least one person who knows what he is doing.

Yeah there will be about a thousand (if they are lucky) there. I've seriously never heard of Owl City.

Yeah there will be about a thousand (if they are lucky) there. I've seriously never heard of Owl City.

Owl City is basically one dude who put together a surprise hit that got popular on the internet, and he's been riding that wave ever since.

By the way, as ZachtheZip said, i'd love to have an event at least on par with the first Spring Fest. Red Wanting Blue may not be a hugely popular act, but at least they are appealing to everyone and are a college-type band.

I see pat is continuing on his trolling ways.

Owl City is about as washed up of a "relevant" talent as you can get. I dont recall them ever publicizing a vote so there's reason #1 they had so few responses. They sent out a campus wide email about voting for ASG voting, but cant do it for Springfest? Sounds like some piss-poor organization on their part.

I gave up on the university ever bringing in quality talent years ago. Theyve never once impressed me, meanwhile half of the student body for Akron is paying to go see relevant and popular artists at Can't, CSU, and even so far as OU

I see pat is continuing on his trolling ways.

Owl City is about as washed up of a "relevant" talent as you can get. I dont recall them ever publicizing a vote so there's reason #1 they had so few responses. They sent out a campus wide email about voting for ASG voting, but cant do it for Springfest? Sounds like some piss-poor organization on their part.

I gave up on the university ever bringing in quality talent years ago. Theyve never once impressed me, meanwhile half of the student body for Akron is paying to go see relevant and popular artists at Can't, CSU, and even so far as OU.

So, you say pat is trolling but basically said the same things he did?

Who is MGK and what venue did UA use for that show?

A semi-relevant rapper[who's shtick is admittedly kind of cheesy] with a strong NE Ohio following(he's from Shaker Heights). He was another 'artist' who got famous online before he got a record deal. His concert was part of UA's "stage door series". It's essentially a backstage concert.

Also, it is interesting and well taken that UA has a knack for blowing these sort of things, yet we own and operate a 3,000 seat "world renown" performing arts hall that snubs UA students most days out of the year but has no problem burning up student funds for the sake of everyone but them....typical Akron!

Wait, you mean to tell me that 20 year olds aren't interested in listening to the Summit Choral Society perform G.F Handel's messiah? :P