D is the difference for Akron

Dr Z

D is the difference for AkronUpdated 8/23/2006 2:03 AM ETBy Kevin Allen, USA TODAYakron.jpgIn a conference where offense is exalted and elite quarterbacks are revered, Akron coach J.D. Brookhart arrived in town two years ago and issued an edict that displeased even some of his own assistants.He decreed that the defensive players were allowed to "tee off" on offensive players in practice."I didn't blow my whistle very often, and we allowed them to take some shots because we needed to develop an attitude," Brookhart says. "The coaches weren't thrilled, but I think we needed to do that."Today, the debates with his assistants and the frequent "jawing" among players in practice seem worth it as Akron enters the 2006 season as the defending conference champion and owner of one of the Mid-American Conference's most aggressive defenses.After an extended run of poor defensive seasons, the Zips went from 10th to second in the conference in team defense last season. They gave up 339.8 yards a game, 90 fewer than the previous season. With eight starters returning, including all-MAC nose guard Kiki Gonzalez and sacks leader Jermaine Reid, Akron has a chance to be the MAC's best defensive unit."The difference between Akron in '04 and '05 was our defense," Zips quarterback Luke Getsy says. "Our defense made the plays when we needed them."Brookhart credits defensive coordinator Jim Fleming for building defensive unity and schooling the players in their unconventional three-three stack defensive alignment. Brookhart says Fleming simplified the system last season and that seemed to be one of the keys to the team's success."We didn't do nearly as much in the package as we did my first year, but what you saw was a bunch of guys who play fast," Brookhart says. "It might not have been very confusing for our opponents. But it wasn't for us, either."Brookhart was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator when he became Akron's coach, and he says it wasn't easy for him to allow his defenders to pound away on his premium offensive talent."But a good defense makes all the difference," Brookhart says. "I believe in that. From a talent level, we try to put our best players on that side of the ball. And you can see the difference. We went from a team that was in it the first year to a team that won it the second year. We made our big improvement defensively, and that gave us a chance to win games. If you have a defense, you don't have to score 52 points in every football game."By the end of last season, the Zips boasted the 32nd-ranked defense in the country and their secondary was ranked 16th. They return four starters in the secondary, including junior rover John Mackey (103 career tackles) and senior cornerback Reggie Corner, who already has 24 starts. Linebacker Kevin Grant was a freshman All-American."What we do starts with (defensive) linemen," Corner says. "They pressure the quarterback, and they are a big part of our defense."Corner grins. "(Gonzalez) is an animal."Gonzalez is the son of Cuban parents who fled the Fidel Castro regime in 1980 for political reasons. Their son was born three years later, and now he is a 300-pound force in the middle. He is one of the MAC's best run stoppers and a complement for the outside rushing ability of Reid, who had seven sacks last season."Jermaine has gotten a lot bigger, and I'm expecting big things out of him," Brookhart says. "He's kind of a silent leader."Inside the MACWhat's new: Turner Gill, who quarterbacked Nebraska from 1981-83, is the lone new head coach. He takes over Buffalo, which has 10 total wins since joining the MAC in 1999. The MAC will supply a team for the inaugural International Bowl on Jan. 6 in Toronto. Another bowl with a MAC spot, the GMAC in Mobile, Ala., moved from its usual pre-Christmas date to Jan. 7. Northern Illinois and Miami (Ohio) play Oct. 8 to kick off a series of Sunday night ESPN games.In the Coaches' Poll: NoneBowl tie-ins: Motor City, GMAC, InternationalDanny Sheridan's odds:• Akron 3:1• Northern Illinois 3:1• Toledo 4:1• Bowling Green 5:1• Western Michigan 5:1• Miami (Ohio) 6:1• Central Michigan 8:1source

Defense is what we need more than anything this year. They keep us in games. If the D can jell in time for Penn State, expect an awesome and frighteningly close game (for Penn State anyways). I love how the D is so good, and how we have even more talented youngsters waiting to show their stuff in the coming seasons. :thumb:

In regards to the International Bowl Tie-In. Fans need to know that they will need a passport for it. The rules of travel change January 1st, 2007. PASSPORT REQUIRED!
Damn! Your right! I totally forgot about that. I have one, but I'll bet that most of the students and recent grads do not. I think it costs about $80 - $100 the first time and maybe $60 - $80 to renew. This will definitely put a damper on ticket sales here in the states!

In regards to the International Bowl Tie-In.  Fans need to know that they will need a passport for it.  The rules of travel change January 1st, 2007.  PASSPORT REQUIRED!
Damn! Your right! I totally forgot about that. I have one, but I'll bet that most of the students and recent grads do not. I think it costs about $80 - $100 the first time and maybe $60 - $80 to renew. This will definitely put a damper on ticket sales here in the states!
Toronto is the site of the International Bowl this coming bowl season and it's about 2 hours from where I live in Buffalo. In regards to the passport issue, you only need to have a passport by Jan 8, 2007 if you are traveling into Canada by AIR or SEA. You need a passport to cross at LAND borders (i.e. The Peace Bridge here in Buffalo, the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, or the Rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls) by January 1, 2008. Here is the link from the U.S. Government's travel department:U.S. Border Crossing and Passport Requirements.But we're getting ahead of ourselves...it's a long season and we need to just take it one week at a time and one game at a time. It all begins Sept. 2. GO ZIPS!

You forgot to paste the best part of that article...................Danny Sheridan's odds: • Can't State 5,000:1 :lol::screwks:
What is a better use of your dollar - a chance to win 5K betting on Can't to win the MAC :lol: or buying the Saturday ABJ to read their preview of the Penn State and NCSU games? :rofl:

You forgot to paste the best part of that article...................Danny Sheridan's odds: • Can't State 5,000:1 :lol:  :screwks:
What is a better use of your dollar - a chance to win 5K betting on Can't to win the MAC :lol: or buying the Saturday ABJ to read their preview of the Penn State and NCSU games? :rofl:
No kiddin'? I think I am gonna put $10 on Can't to win the MAC, lol.