What the HECK happened?!?!?

Zips lost to UCSB today 5-0. Caleb got a red card in his Zips regular season debut and now has to miss game number 2. Report on gozips.com says the refs were bad, but 5-0 is embarassing! Ken Lolla's zips never lost by 5!!! Does anyone know what happened?

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The University of Akron men's soccer team got its 2006 season off to a rocky start with a 5-0 loss to UC Santa Barbara in the opening game of the Virginia Soccer Classic in Charlottesville, Va.The Gauchos were firing on all cylinders offensively while the Zips struggled on both ends of the field in the opening match. UCSB finished with a 13-6 advantage in shots taken, with nine of the 13 shots on goal. All six of Akron's shots in the game were on-goal."Obviously, this is a disappointing result," said UA head coach Caleb Porter. "From the beginning, everything that could go wrong did. The score really isn't indicative of the game or our performance. Give UCSB credit, their first two goals came on good shots and that put us on our heels a bit."Despite the fact Akron had a man down on the field for more than a minute after a hard tackle, the referee allowed play to continue and the Gauchos were awarded a penalty kick after a hand ball was called in the box. Eric Avila hit the penalty shot for a 4-0 lead at 47:14. Porter continued to argue the non-call by the referee and was shown a red card. He will have to sit out the Zips' next match against Davidson.Another hand ball resulted in another PK for the Gauchos and a 5-0 lead in the 67th minute. Over the next two minutes three brilliant saves by UA goalkeeper Evan Bush (Concord, Ohio/Lake Catholic) kept the Gauchos from adding on to their lead."There is no doubt that we will rebound from this and move forward, learning from our mistakes," Porter said.The Gauchos took a 1-0 lead just 9:25 into the match when Tino Nunez collected a clear-out by the Zips off a corner kick and shot it over UA keeper Bush's head for the score.With the Zips still on their heels, UCSB extended its lead to 2-0 as Bryan Byrne played the ball across the field to Eric Avila, who struck the ball in from 20 yards out at 19:45.The Zips were without starting forward Geir Nyheim (Bergen, Norway/U. Pihl) just five minutes into the match as an injury forced him back onto the bench. Junior transfer Devin McKenney (North Olmsted, Ohio/North Olmsted/Dayton) made his first-ever appearance in a Zips uniform midway through the first half as Matt Augustin (Silver Lake, Ohio/Walsh Jesuit) went down on a hard tackle.Akron's best chance of the first half came with 16 minutes to play as Matt Tutich (Westmont, Ill./Hinsdale Central) had a clean look at the net but was shut down on a diving save by UCSB goalkeeper Kyle Reynish.The Gauchos continued to pressure and an Akron mistake led to the third goal of the half at 31:36. A ball intended to be played back to the keeper by Akron was intercepted by Bongomin Otti, who made good on his 1-on-1 opportunity vs. Bush.True freshmen Rostand Erlichman (Scottsdale, Ariz./Chaparral) and Ben Zemanski (Akron, Ohio/Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy) made the trip this weekend and both saw action in the first half against the Gauchos.The Zips actually held a 4-3 advantage in shots on goal in the first half but could not get anything past Reynish. UCSB held a slight 6-4 advantage in overall shot attempts.Akron closes out the Virginia Soccer Classic against Davidson on Sunday at noon. The Wildcats play tournament host Virginia at 7:30 p.m. tonight.

It sounds like anything that could have gone wrong did. I figured this game would be decided by one goal either way. I wonder if UCSB is really that good or if we help them out and played that bad against a team that is just respectable and not elite. I was very frustrated following the game at work on the gametracker. Let's hope the team bounces back against Davidson.

UCSB is just two years removed from being the top team in the nation, but losing the national championship match in multiple OTs to IU in coach Yeagley's finale. They're a notoriously physical team, some would say dirty, and they knocked two of our guys out of the match with hits. That must have contributed to Caleb getting the red boot.I remember watching Lolla's squad taking it in the chops in a 4-0 defeat against Washington a few years ago, and being down 2-0 against a very good Portland team at the half the next day. They dominated the final half to gain a draw @ UP. I'd be very worried if I were Davidson.

........ Sorry, but refs don't cause 5-0 blowouts.
I strongly agree .... I don't know what happened, but obviousily this team has a good deal of work to do in order to finish as strong as they did last year. But don't give up the ship yet ...............

I just can't hope for the same results as last year. We have a new head coach, a new system, and rediculously high expectations. I think by mid-season they will have it all together, but by then we will be lucky to get into the tournament. IF we get in, there is a good chance we make it to the finals, but there is a lot of work to be done to get to that point.