Soccer is off to a great start

Football has been getting a lot of attention lately, so I want to take a second to recognize the soccer teams.The girls are off to a great start, 4-0. After looking at some of their profiles on facebook, I'm definitaly going to have to go watch a game. A lot of good looking girls and they have skills on the soccer field, how could anyone pass that up?The boys are making up for the loss in the tournament, but these wins have been very close. I'm nervous to see how this season turns out. My confidence is with them, but I'd like to see them blow those teams out.Good job to the women and men's soccer team.

How many years have we had a ladies soccer team?  Seems like we're building a pretty tough program very quickly!  The men's success may have a lot to do with that.  Akron is becoming a prestigious destination for soccer talent!
This is either the sixth or seventh year of the program -- and those who are in the know, know that coach Byrne is on the hot seat. We were picked last in the MAC this year by the coaches, not surprisingly. NOW, however, we are clearly the most improved team in the league. The New Mexico squad the Zips beat in the Westfield Cup final was on the verge of breaking into the top-25. I watched the girls -- oh, OK, ladies (don't want to have my membership in NOW revoked!) from K-ent State play here in Hawaii twice this weekend -- they were picked fifth, after I believe making the MAC championship game last season. If it's any indication, MAC women's soccer is really poor. I've watched every Hawaii game for 12 seasons, and can only recall one or maybe two teams weaker than Can't State playing here before -- both first-year programs. If Akron can't beat K-ent comfortably, then they have a long way to go to be anywhere near the level of the men. Of course that's no easy job (to compete against Akron's men being a young program), but its a reasonable goal in my opinion. My congratulations to Coach Kate and the lasses for the great start. I'm expecting to be back there for the Westfield next August, prior to the FB game in Cowlumbus. Lets go from "worst" to first. :wave:

The boys are making up for the loss in the tournament, but these wins have been very close. I'm nervous to see how this season turns out. My confidence is with them, but I'd like to see them blow those teams out.
I attended almost all the home games last year and all the home games this year so far... I hate to say it but the last year's team was waaay better.Until now, we do not have a scorer and the team is strugling in the offense... i had great expectations for Geir Nheym but he has disappointed me so far.A center fielder (play maker) is very very badly needed. our attack seems to always start with Osie michelson (sp?) who by the way is the central deffender kicking a ball all the way from his penalty area to the other penalty area. 9/10 of these balls are lost and only 1/10 is received and controlled by a zips player to make a decent attempt at the goal. Osie has to stop kicking those (all the way balls) and start giving the ball to midfielders to start their attack... may be moving sinisia ubiparipovic to the mid field would help.I hope the coach addresses these issues so that we start scoring more and dominating the game like we should.By the way, Bobby were u the guy in a white zips cap sitting in the first row in the St. Francis game ?

i went to the home opener (and wanted to go sunday but my roommate just HAD to shoot, so we went to the range instead). what i saw was a lack of being able to finish on their shots. they had a lot of opportunities that went way high. also, last year's team was much more crisp on their passes and control. we still have a few guys that have amazing foot work, but it's going to be a lot tougher road to the ncaa. i believe we can do it.

what i saw was a lack of being able to finish on their shots. they had a lot of opportunities that went way high. also, last year's team was much more crisp on their passes and control. we still have a few guys that have amazing foot work, but it's going to be a lot tougher road to the ncaa. i believe we can do it.
From the two matches I saw this is the biggest problem. Hopefully it gets corrected soon as the schedule will get a lot tougher. :screwks::screwks: