Another Buchtel Kid Gone to Pitt...

A.) Hey, we're in the running for these guys...that's better than we were before.

B.) Claude Brown/JD relationship isn't as strong as we initially thought.

C.) It's June 2004 recruiting...the kids haven't even played their senior year...so shut up.

D.) We're doomed. JD can't recruit Akron City.

E.) As long as Tyrell Sutton is a Zip, I could care less about Buchtel players going to Pitt...hell...Toledo beat Pitt last season.

Recruiting: Pitt lands another DB from Ohio

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bryan Williams, a 6-foot, 187-pound cornerback from Akron, gave a verbal commitment to Pitt yesterday, making him the second standout defensive back from Ohio in three days to choose the Panthers.

And much like Brookhaven standout Dominic Jones, who committed to Pitt Sunday night, Williams said he was sold on the Panthers the first time he visited the campus.

"I was just comfortable there from the minute I got there until I left," Williams said. "It is a wonderful campus, a great city, and I really liked what the coaches had to say to me."

Williams, who had 31 tackles and five interceptions last season, was third-team all-state last year at Buchtel High School. He had offers from Illinois, North Carolina and Akron.

The Insiders, a national recruiting service, rates Williams the one of the top 15 prospects in Ohio and one of the top 65 players in the Midwest. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds, has a 34-inch vertical leap and squats 350 pounds.

Williams is the Panthers' fifth commitment for the class of 2005 and their second from Buchtel. Williams' teammate, defensive lineman Marlon Terry, made a commitment to the Panthers earlier this month.

Pitt fullback Tim Murphy is a Buchtel graduate.

"I liked the fact that there were already guys there who I know and that one of my teammates will be going there with me," Williams said. "I won't feel like a stranger and I won't feel all alone. That's important to me because going away is a big adjustment to begin with."

A.

And I hate to say it, but Pitt may not be what it was in years past when Brookhart was the OC there. He personally led two Belitnikoff winners. He is the reason Pitt was recently tagged as "Wide Receiver U". Time will tell.

And this is probably more a kid exercising their option to go BCS.

I am going to say C but with an explaination.......

These kids from Butchel have seen other griffins goto Pitt over the years. I am sure they have heard good stories and Pitt has some top notch facilities thanks to the Steelers.

Now the Zips are getting the facilities and their new headcoach has a good realtionship with the Butchel coach. But one thing is missing. Pitt has won more games and went to more bowl games than Akron the last few years. So to a Butchel kid it is a no brainer.

Now it is still June. If the Zips have a huge year make a bowl game and Pitt has an off year, which I see is coming, maybe come Feb, these kids change there mind. Only time will tell but don't expect local kids to start making early commits to the Zips until the win starts to happen.