Zips lose one to WVA

Blackhawk back commits to WVU

Bruce to play receiver for the Mountaineers

Sunday, July 18, 2004

By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Before Jeremy Bruce left his home for a weightlifting session yesterday afternoon, he took some other weight off his shoulders.

Bruce, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound senior running back-defensive back at Blackhawk High School, made a verbal commitment to West Virginia University. The Mountaineers recruited him to play slotback/receiver.

"I just decided to call West Virginia and commit," Bruce said. "This takes a lot of pressure off. For my senior year, I just want to have fun and not have to worry about scouts. Committing early gets all the pressure off my shoulders."

Bruce also had scholarship offers from Temple, Can't State and Akron.

"I love West Virginia," he said. "The fans are just unbelievable. It's crazy down there for games. I love the atmosphere."

Bruce rushed for 1,767 yards on 203 carries as a junior and also had 23 receptions for 235 yards. But he wasn't recruited much by colleges until after an eye-opening performance at the Nike Camp at Penn State in May. Bruce ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds.

"After that, a lot of schools started calling and talking to me," Bruce said.

Bruce is the second WPIAL senior to commit to a Division I school. Burrell offensive lineman John Brown committed to Pitt in March.