Marquette 76, Hillsdale 66

GoZips

The mighty sixteenth ranked Marquette Warriors rallied in the second half to defeatHillsdale College. Oh, yeah, THAT Hillsdale college. Down by four, 36-32, at the break,the Warriors used their superior size to overcome Hillsdale's Princeton style offensethat had controlled the first half.Marquette even admits in their post game write up that Hillsdale had lost to anotherdivision one school a week earlier. Hillsdale lost to Akron 83-67.Unfortunately, Akron did not have to mount a brilliant come back to secure their victory.

In my byline to the topic heading on the discussion I started on Akron/Hillsdale, I remarked something to the effect that Hillsdale is a competent team. For some reason I expected KD to bring a patsy in for the exhibition game. I should know better. KD does not engage in exercises in fooling oneself.If my memory serves me correctly, Hillsdale played ahead of the Zips in the first 5 minutes and even if not a little better in the second half.KD's philosophy: to be the best you must be willing to play worthy opponents. The Zips first game against UALR is no sure thing. Akron will have to bring its "A" game. And, if they get by UALR, then its the legendary Bobby Knight and his TTU hoopsters.The most promising thing about the Zips in my opinion is their apparent depth. The depth is coming from maturing 1st and 2nd year players and they will get better and better and better as the year wears on. So even if the Zips do not start off that well, it will not be "woe is me" for the remainder of the season. Quick backup player development could solve problems in a hurry."

In my byline to the topic heading on the discussion I started on Akron/Hillsdale, I remarked something to the effect that Hillsdale is a competent team. For some reason I expected KD to bring a patsy in for the exhibition game. I should know better. KD does not engage in exercises in fooling oneself.If my memory serves me correctly, Hillsdale played ahead of the Zips in the first 5 minutes and even if not a little better in the second half.KD's philosophy: to be the best you must be willing to play worthy opponents.
Apparently you missed last year's pre-season games. Check out the Dennison box score.

Dennison wasn't missed. And, there have been others.Nowhere did I say that all our opponents have been worthy. Nor do I believe we will not have opponents in the future that will leave us shaking our heads "Why would we schedule that team?" But in the future I believe we will see less of this. For a mid-major to get "at large" bids to post-season play; strength of schedule means something and I think KD gets it and will react accordingly. Plus, he has high expectations for himself and the team.So what's your point? Is this a gotcha exercise? I hope it makes your day Captain!