Would MR have selected JD?

ZipAnalyst

By extending JD's contract (pre-maturely, in my judgment) Mack Rhoades is now accountable for JD's ultimate success or failure.Rhoades has given JD license to hang around, hang around and hang around some more - just like Lee Owens did - even after it is obvious to all but the most die-hard supporters that JD is not going to get the job done.Rhoades can promote the AK-Rowdies all he wants, and I do think this is a smart thing to do, however, real success will come with having a coach in place who can select talented players that he can control and mold into an effective playing unit.Such a coach/team will win and win big and concomitantly attendance will be no problem.Having acted, now all Rhoades can do is sit back and hope, unless, that is, Mike Thomas bails him out.

Analyst, I think you are passing judgement on a coach before he even gets all of "his guys" playing, and that's not fair. JD's system works, it's a matter of whether the players can execute it. This year they were stuck with a QB who has had a few good games (MACC and a few others) and was extremely inconsistent (tho he put up big #'s, which isn't too hard to do in the MAC). I have never seen a team succeed with an inconsistent QB. Look at the situation, how many elite athletes would want to come to Akron Ohio and play in a crappy stadium? The reason these players are coming here is because of JD and the vision he has for this program. He has taken a team that really didn't have too much going for them to a team that has the talent and needs to get their act together and perform, which will come when they actually have a leader that they can follow on the field. Somebody has to step up because a coach can only do so much from the sideline. That's why I like kids from winning h.s. programs because they bring that winning attitude with them. I will be very upset if we lose JD to a bigger program and I'm kinda glad we had the season we did so we don't have to go through any more growing pains while bringing in a whole new staff. Don't call me a die-hard supporter either because it's JD's job to evaluate the character of the players he's got and put the best players on the field next year. If they don't make large strides toward taking this team where the envision it, the you'll hear alot of complaining from me. But I don't think JD is to blame for this season.

Analyst, I think you are passing judgement on a coach before he even gets all of "his guys" playing, and that's not fair.
With all due respect, that is a repetition of what I head incessantly during the Lee Owens era. Captain Kangaroo in another forum (he started) talks about having to leave the WMU game early. Captain was generous in going to the game in the first place. It is credit to him and all other ZipNationeers/fans who can go to these games. These folks show that the base is there if it gets built (ref: Field of Dreams).All signs indicate to me that JD is not a builder. But I am willing to wait another two years. It was the contract extension that got me. It makes me think that Rhoades does not have very good judgment.I hope I am wrong about JD & MR. Time is awasting. With the extension we could be looking at another 7 years of excuse making.I am not labeling anyone a die-hard supporter at this juncture. Die-hard support will not kick-in for another two years, if ever. It could be that the optimists out there are correct and JD is a diamond-in-the-rough that needs polishing.Its just that I can't see the future gem-in-the-making that others see and am willing to go on the record now and say so.The contract extension was the "rush to judgment." I have been and continue to be willing to wait up to two more years. But not a day longer. If we are not at the top of the MAC by then, I'd say that the only people showing an interest in the Zip footballers will be MR and, of course, the newly defined class of die-hards.

Just remember that the players on the O-line were there before JD got here, and they have been the source of most of our troubles (with the exception of Alleman). I sincerely beleive we could have beat Penn State (and anyone else, too) if it were not for those drive-killing penalties on Crouch EVERY time we did something good. :wall: I can only hope their replacements have more heart. I am not defending JD, because it is his job to keep his players under control but you have to wonder, would things have been better with his recruits out there instead?

Seriously, I can't believe you people. J.D. is the man and you will be sorry if he leaves. The team didnt get it done this year, there were a lot of mistakes...stuff happens. The kicking game was a MAJOR downfall to the year. You guys bitch about some of the play calling in the red zone but forget in the back of the coaches mind a field goal is out of the question. It is a momentum killer when you miss extra points and field goals. Was that J.D.'s fault.......I think not - he recruited and signed one of the top kicking recruits in the country last year, he could'nt control the kid getting hurt. The line was bad, but who was the bright spot? Alleman - and who brought him to UA? J.D. Who was the most exciting player on the team - David Harvey - who brought him here? J.D. Look at the competition at QB next year - Jackson, Jaquemeim, Hakes. When have we had a competition like that at QB? Who brought them here? J.D.This fair weather garbage is annoying. Last year all everyone talked about was the never die heart the team had and J.D. was a major motivator - sparking thrilling comebacks.

I understand that some people think they are smarter than the average bear, and some people reall are smarter, and I can even understand wanting to get your opinion out on record for everyone to see so that if it turns out you are right, you can legitimately do the 'I told you so' happy dance in everyone's face.I have no problem with that.I just hope that once you get your opinion on record (and even debate it a little) , you don't make a habit out of bashing the coach constantly. *crosses fingers*I really want to see how it pans out without people really just givin' the guy a real chance.Thank you.

1. JD would have only had 2 years left on the original contract without the extension. Maybe you can argue the length, but don't you think that some extension needed to be given?2. Wasn't the extension supposedly signed before the season? Based off how last season ended, more than a few people wanted to throw the bank at him.3. I don't think the contract is a 5 year extension. The way that I understood it, the old contract was torn up and JD signed a new 5 year deal. His contract runs through 2011. Given that most people are saying see what the next 2 years hold, does the extension really seem too long?4. Whether your think JD is the guy or not, I can't imagine that after what was nationally considered 2 successful seasons at Akron to have the guy play his contract out in hopes of doing better would be good publicity within coaching circles. Part of the cost of doing business is always having several years left on the contract if you think the guy will succeed. The only ones who don't get their contract renewed and play it out get canned. Stan Jolpin was the exception last year.5. I am not going to apologize, I like JD and think that he will be fine. But I like Akron more than JD and want what is best for Akron. From the perspective of the program, the extension to me was warranted. Even if I had doubts about him as a coach, I still would have given him a 2 year extension.

i don't know how people are bashing the coaches when they write about things they don't like.as long as the attacks are not personal then it's not hurting anyone. how is rushing for negative yards in the last two games,and the most penalized team in the country bashing the coaches. those are just plain old facts.i think jd should have got a contract extension because he did a good job last year. this year it think most zips fans would agree was a team that underperformed.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. If Mike Thomas doesnt take J.D. now he is not going to get him since he will have to commit to his hire for at least 3-4 years. If J.D. does well in that time period he will be somewhere else. If M.T. wants J.D. he is going to have to roll the dice now.

I would suggest that some of you take a look at the Cincinnati Enq. on-line. Read a few of the articles concerning the coaching search. MT is far from his God Like status that he was here in Akron. Some of you people are insane! Calling for a contract extension and when he gets the extension you argue we should of let it run out first ? JD's 4 year plan was to get to the MAC Championship game, win the Championship and get to a Bowl game. He did it in 2 years and almost pulled it off his first year, in getting to the Championship game. Have you all forgot where the program was before he came?Did the team underachieve this year? YES! Do I believe things will get better with JD? Yes... Lets have discussion after his 4th year as to if the program is headed in the right direction. Hmmmm... wait 2 more years before an extension is offered? Who is making the rush to judgement?

I would suggest that some of you take a look at the Cincinnati Enq. on-line.  Read a few of the articles concerning the coaching search.
Deal.--------------------------That would suggest that Thomas might want to look for an offensive-minded coach to take over the program with an eye toward increasing fan support, but the UC athletic director said that's not necessarily the case."I enjoy points being scored in a football game," Thomas said. "There's no doubt about it. You also hear the old cliché that defense wins championships, so at the end of the day it's trying to get the best coach that we can get."At this point, I'm not weighing heavily toward offense or defense. You want to get people excited about your program. You want to feel like your program has some energy. Sometimes one of the ways to make that happen is if you're putting some points on the board."If offense is what Thomas decides he wants, LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher is still out there. Fisher was one of the coaches Goin went after in 2003. He was UC's offensive coordinator in 1999 under Rick Minter.Other names UC might consider include Brian Kelly, the head coach at Central Michigan. His team is 8-4 this year and will play in the Mid-American Conference championship game Thursday night.Kelly won two NCAA Division II national titles at Grand Valley State and was 118-35-2 in 13 seasons there. He was one of the finalists for the Michigan State job that Dantonio landed.LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, a Youngstown native and former Ohio State player who also interviewed for the Michigan State job, and Cleveland Browns defensive backs coach Mel Tucker, who spent four seasons coaching under Jim Tressel at Ohio State, are also possibilities for the Bearcats.Source------------------The Cincinnati Post and Enquirer said possible candidates include Bearcats coordinators Pat Narduzzi and Don Treadwell, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, Ohio coach Frank Solich and Toledo coach Tom Amstutz.Tomlin, the Bearcats' defensive backs coach in 1999 and 2000, wasn't mentioned. But he likely wouldn't be interested. He indicated earlier in the season that his preference is to remain in the NFL."I would never say never," Tomlin told the Pioneer Press in August. "But I enjoy what Sunday brings, competing at the highest level. It's awesome. I'm a high sensation seeker, and it gets no better than what we do."Source

Analyst, I think you are passing judgement on a coach before he even gets all of "his guys" playing, and that's not fair.
With all due respect, that is a repetition of what I head incessantly during the Lee Owens era. Captain Kangaroo in another forum (he started) talks about having to leave the WMU game early. Captain was generous in going to the game in the first place. It is credit to him and all other ZipNationeers/fans who can go to these games. These folks show that the base is there if it gets built (ref: Field of Dreams).All signs indicate to me that JD is not a builder. But I am willing to wait another two years. It was the contract extension that got me. It makes me think that Rhoades does not have very good judgment.I hope I am wrong about JD & MR. Time is awasting. With the extension we could be looking at another 7 years of excuse making.I am not labeling anyone a die-hard supporter at this juncture. Die-hard support will not kick-in for another two years, if ever. It could be that the optimists out there are correct and JD is a diamond-in-the-rough that needs polishing.Its just that I can't see the future gem-in-the-making that others see and am willing to go on the record now and say so.The contract extension was the "rush to judgment." I have been and continue to be willing to wait up to two more years. But not a day longer. If we are not at the top of the MAC by then, I'd say that the only people showing an interest in the Zip footballers will be MR and, of course, the newly defined class of die-hards.
"Analyst, I think you are passing judgement on a coach before he even gets all of "his guys" playing, and that's not fair. "He will never have all of his guys here. Most of them never qualify. :D