Student Sections Going going Gone!

quickasazip33

Good Evening, I am not going to state my name due to my part in the Athletic Department, Aparently the Athletic Department has NO faith in the students in at THE University of Akron. It has been brought to my attention that over break the Athletic Department will be selling the Lower End Seats on the North End (Akron's Bench side) over break. This includes the NEVADA game. This also means that there will be a lot of sitters. The AK-ROWDIES will only get 82 seats (South End) throughout all of break unless we can prove to the department we are a loyal student group. In regaurds to the 82 seats in the South End we only get those because the Band will be gone over break. We need to have AS MANY BODIES as humanly possible at the games tomorrow as well as the Nevada game on Friday. By the way the Women have a game tomorrow at 5:30 they are now 5-5 the first time they could have a winning record in years. So to have a for sure seat at the Men's game you might want to be at the Women's game as well.I know that this is probably either a. no shock to you or b. pisses you off. But it is up to you to prove this faithless Athletic Department wrong! Hope to see you soon.Quickasazip

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was not going to be able to make the St. Francis game, but I was gonna leave work early on Friday and be there early for Nevada, but I think I may work late now. The entire organization as gone to hell. I'm not even sure how many more games I'll be attending for the rest of the year. I cannot support a decision like this. Can we have Newhouse back?!Also, make sure anyone who "purchases" these seats is wearing "the official 2006 AK-Rowdies tee-shirt." I'd hate to see anyone kicked out that actually paid money!

Good Evening, I am not going to state my name due to my part in the Athletic Department, Aparently the Athletic Department has NO faith in the students in at THE University of Akron. It has been brought to my attention that over break the Athletic Department will be selling the Lower End Seats on the North End (Akron's Bench side) over break. This includes the NEVADA game. This also means that there will be a lot of sitters. The AK-ROWDIES will only get 82 seats (South End) throughout all of break unless we can prove to the department we are a loyal student group. In regaurds to the 82 seats in the South End we only get those because the Band will be gone over break. We need to have AS MANY BODIES as humanly possible at the games tomorrow as well as the Nevada game on Friday. By the way the Women have a game tomorrow at 5:30 they are now 5-5 the first time they could have a winning record in years. So to have a for sure seat at the Men's game you might want to be at the Women's game as well.I know that this is probably either a. no shock to you or b. pisses you off. But it is up to you to prove this faithless Athletic Department wrong! Hope to see you soon.Quickasazip
Our Athletic Department is a joke. Hmmm we've had two home games, against Tiffin and Winston Salem. One was wasn't even listed on some schedules and was the same time as Browns-Steelers, the other was the weekend before finals week. Why is anyone shocked by the low turnout? Not even the alumni seats were filled, and they pay big money for those seats. So now, because we didn't sell out the JAR for two crap opponents scheduled at two crap time slots, they're cutting the student section in half? Do they not realize that we're the only ones in Akron that give a damn about this team right now? The Akron students have proven over the last year and a half, by sending a record number of people to the Motor City Bowl, by filling up the student section at the Q for the MAC Tourney, by supporting the football team even as they played like absolute crap, and by showing new-found support for the women's basketball team And because of TWO games, we cut the section in half? I don't plan to sit down low tomorrow...I hope nobody does. Let them see what happens when we're really not there. Let them tell Coach Dambrot, Coach Kest and their players why their home court advantage is gone. Let them see how few people show up for seats that, in all honesty, give you a crappy viewpoint of the game from most seats. I'll be in the general admission section tomorrow...hopefully I'll have some company.

Can't argue your feelings there sgm...I hope you don't take it out on me and as a student I will say I am NOT a happy zips fan right now. But of course I have to keep working to hopefully help you guys out I hope you all know that I am trying to give my imput daily but they laugh and call me a stupid student. Sorry to Mr. Newhouse I failed you.P.S. Bleacher don't become a K-E-N-T fan then I will lose all respect for what you stand for

Can't argue your feelings there sgm...I hope you don't take it out on me and as a student I will say I am NOT a happy zips fan right now. But of course I have to keep working to hopefully help you guys out I hope you all know that I am trying to give my imput daily but they laugh and call me a stupid student. Sorry to Mr. Newhouse I failed you.P.S. Bleacher don't become a K-E-N-T fan then I will lose all respect for what you stand for
I think I've already lost all respect for all that I stand for! (Which is why being a Can't fan makes sense)

ATTENTION ALL AK-ROWDIES, ZIPSNATIONERS AND ZIPS FANS:It'll take just ONE minute out of your day to help out the school. It has come to our attention today that the athletics department has decided to sell the student section (AK Rowdies) seats over winter break in order to make a quick buck. This includes games TUESDAY DEC 19th, FRIDAY DEC 22nd, FRIDAY DEC 29th, and THURSDAY, JAN 11th. Including what is probably the biggest game in recent school history against #20 Nevada on FRIDAY the 29th, as well as the rivalry game vs. Miami OH on JAN 11th.This is where you come in:We need EVERYONE to take one minute out of their day to call the athletics department and let them know that we want our guys to have the best chance of winning these games, and their best chance is with some loud, intimidating students 3 feet behind the basket. We need you ALL to call! Athletics director Mack Rhoades: 330-972-7080 (this will likely go to voicemail, LEAVE A MESSAGE!)Coach Dambrot/Basketball Operations: 330-972-7678 (DITTO)Ticket Office: 330-972-6920 (Someone will answer here)We need to stand up for our school and give our team the best chance to win. LET THEM KNOW YOUR OPINION!!!~MySpace Zipsnation

This is nothing at all against you...from your posts and everything on here, I can tell you're a Zips die-hard and had nothing to do with this. We do appreciate you trying to fight for us...and you have failed nobody. You can't help that the Athletic Department is doing this...

I don't plan to sit down low tomorrow...I hope nobody does. Let them see what happens when we're really not there. Let them tell Coach Dambrot, Coach Kest and their players why their home court advantage is gone.
That's really really sick and terrible. I second SGM... have your gold shirt and sit in the GA and watch the game as if you're watching a musical. The AD won't appreciate us until they loose us. Tomorrow is a good time to make them loose us.

Lots of reads on this thread. What do the rest of you think? Do the students not give an advantage to the team? Is the athletics department right in selling these seats (not good seats anyways, except for proximity to the court)? Should they assume students won't show up during break (even though only about 1/8 of akron students live in dorms that must be vacated over break)? Anyone out there?

I'm becoming a K-E-N-T State fan REAL QUICK!
I can understand your frustration, but really...don't be so hard on yourself. No one deserves that.I've had dealings with the athletic administration at this school since 1977.I've said it before and I'll say it again...we are still a D II school in many ways.Remember when Summit County Employees Night was the big draw?PA-LEESE, yep, that's gonna bring 'em in.At least we could look forward to one big-time crowd and event, but unfortunately the Acme Zip game is only a fond memory.And I want my blanket!!!! (But I'm sorry we're out. This IS the last home game, you know. You'll have to complain at the ticket office)

What I don't get is this...Who are the people who truly care about this team and want to come to games? a) The studentsB.) The alumniThe students sit low...the alumni that want to go have probably already purchased season tickets. Who does that leave?The average, general fan. So they are counting on these people filling up the student section? Really???

What a garbage abministration this is turning out to be! This takes the cake now.First, they get way to involved in the AK Rowdies student organization which hurts us to begin with and now they do this. How much money do they really think they'll make??? You still need people to buy the seats. The team is going to need all the help they can get against Nevada and putting a bunch of whatevers on the floor that will do nothing but sit on their hands is questionable.

What a bush league move by the Athletic Department. It typifies the worst in an AD, a real lack of appreciation by a department who somehow believe that the fans owe the university, not the other way around. Complete marketing disaster to eliminate the rare student enthusiasm with a begruding slight and try to pawn off seats for the high profile game. What an incredible lack of foresight to sacrifice the intangible force of student participation (which costs nothing) in order for a few bucks! It's like a sour-faced restraunteur charging a customer a $1.50 for a Coke refill. Please Akron Athletics, work with us, no one's out to take your job, so no need to constantly try to validate your position with strident, badly planned initiatives, just get out the way.

I rarely post on this board any longer but I read it every day. I wanted to comment on how strongly I feel about this situation being nothing short of a disaster. I cannot believe how much things have changed in one year. This just shows the difference in philosophy between administrations. Do not confuse effort with results is something a former boss, and still good friend, used to tell me all the time. This is my fear. Keep fighting. This is unjust and a true shame. Good luck AK-ROWDIES. I look forward to my visit and seeing all of you at James A. Rhodes arena for the December 29th double header. You can count on me to speak to the administration about this matter.Always and forever a Zip above all other!

ATTENTION ALL AK-ROWDIES, ZIPSNATIONERS AND ZIPS FANS:It'll take just ONE minute out of your day to help out the school. It has come to our attention today that the athletics department has decided to sell the student section (AK Rowdies) seats over winter break in order to make a quick buck. This includes games TUESDAY DEC 19th, FRIDAY DEC 22nd, FRIDAY DEC 29th, and THURSDAY, JAN 11th. Including what is probably the biggest game in recent school history against #20 Nevada on FRIDAY the 29th, as well as the rivalry game vs. Miami OH on JAN 11th.This is where you come in:We need EVERYONE to take one minute out of their day to call the athletics department and let them know that we want our guys to have the best chance of winning these games, and their best chance is with some loud, intimidating students 3 feet behind the basket. We need you ALL to call! Athletics director Mack Rhoades: 330-972-7080 (this will likely go to voicemail, LEAVE A MESSAGE!)Coach Dambrot/Basketball Operations: 330-972-7678 (DITTO)Ticket Office: 330-972-6920 (Someone will answer here)We need to stand up for our school and give our team the best chance to win. LET THEM KNOW YOUR OPINION!!!~MySpace Zipsnation
I hope you don't mind that I borrowed that for a Facebook group. This is bad. The next thing you know, the AD will start complaining about the lack of student support. I wonder if the AK-Rowdy board members have been notified? They need to send out e-mails to everyone they can. Tomorrow I am going to be on campus, and I will scout out some sections in General Admission that we could hopefully commandeer if we get enough people there early. I will let everyone know what I find. I will naturally look for the best, most visible seats so we can send a clear message to whomever made this stupid decision.

If they want to play rough, fine. So be it. It's time for a new, less official, more awesome version of the AK-Rowdies. We will have to spread the word about this, and also about where all of the students are going to sit. There will be only two rules in the new section: 1.) Be the loudest section, and 2.) be the loudest section!Anyone is free to join us when we rock the JAR over winter break.

If they want to play rough, fine. So be it. It's time for a new, less official, more awesome version of the AK-Rowdies. We will have to spread the word about this, and also about where all of the students are going to sit. There will be only two rules in the new section: 1.) Be the loudest section, and 2.) be the loudest section!Anyone is free to join us when we rock the JAR over winter break.
Let's pick a section...and how can I find that facebook group?

Trying to decide at this point whether to give them the satisfaction of going to the game. should I go and sit in gen admin or prove my point further by staying home and listening on the radio. I cant believe this school and frankly I'm embarrassed for them. I'm sure someone in the administration reads these boards, and to you I'd like to say this: YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. The strides this university has made in student support, the organization of a LEGITIMATE student section, 600+ strong, and you turn around and smack them in the face. 85% of our students DONT LIVE ON CAMPUS. We live around campus, most of us pay rent, which means we live HERE and not with our families over break. Your sad attempt at making a quick buck on the backs of your students will NOT be taken lightly. And for what? A MAXIMUM of $6,560.00 if you sell ALL tickets to EVERY game to the public? We know that won't happen, so you've insulted your student support to make a couple grand at some games over break? To capitalize on a home game vs. a top 25 team? Unbelievable.At this point I'd like to urge the entire student population, AK ROWDIES or not, to boycott the athletics department. Show your support. Go to the game, but leave those lower seats empty. It's time to send a message since we clearly didnt have a chance to speak with our athletics department before the decision was made. Look for us, in our gold AK ROWDY shirts, sitting in general admission on the sideline closest to the south end of the arena. Show us your support, show the athletics department who is boss. Show them not to take us lightly!

Trying to decide at this point whether to give them the satisfaction of going to the game. should I go and sit in gen admin or prove my point further by staying home and listening on the radio. I cant believe this school and frankly I'm embarrassed for them. I'm sure someone in the administration reads these boards, and to you I'd like to say this: YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. The strides this university has made in student support, the organization of a LEGITIMATE student section, 600+ strong, and you turn around and smack them in the face. 85% of our students DONT LIVE ON CAMPUS. We live around campus, most of us pay rent, which means we live HERE and not with our families over break. Your sad attempt at making a quick buck on the backs of your students will NOT be taken lightly. And for what? A MAXIMUM of $6,560.00 if you sell ALL tickets to EVERY game to the public? We know that won't happen, so you've insulted your student support to make a couple grand at some games over break? To capitalize on a home game vs. a top 25 team? Unbelievable.At this point I'd like to urge the entire student population, AK ROWDIES or not, to boycott the athletics department. Show your support. Go to the game, but leave those lower seats empty. It's time to send a message since we clearly didnt have a chance to speak with our athletics department before the decision was made. Look for us, in our gold AK ROWDY shirts, sitting in general admission on the sideline closest to the south end of the arena. Show us your support, show the athletics department who is boss. Show them not to take us lightly!
Yessss....cmon guys, lets send a message! You think maybe they'll reconsider when they realize they could bring in a Top 25 team and have nobody down low?