Details, Details...So you want Stadium Details?

Zipsrifle

While digging around today I stumbled across a GOLDMINE of info on the new stadium. Looks fairly recent with details, even down the proposed floor plan of the pressbox! I can't believe this stuff was just sitting out there! Probably has to be posted. Look under "Project 06022", there are multiple links! ENJOY! Lots more details on other projects here too!!!Stadium Documentation

Great find!Kick ass, we may be getting a huge upgrade to the soccer facilities as well. For a nationally ranked program, our field doesn't even come close to the fan experience of some of the other great programs (UNC, UConn, Creighton, yes, Creighton, PSU, IU, UVA, etc). I hope the improvements include new lights BEHIND the fan seating areas, a more stadium like feel, and a new press box that matches the architecture of the rest of the new buildings on campus.

If you look in the appendix, there are several conceptual plans. Personally, I LOVE Concept #1. You can see the University and downtown Akron through the 1 endzone and you would have a great view of the stadium from the Highway. Really incorporates the city into the stadium. Looks like there would be some great plazas on each end of the stadium as well. Unfortunately, this is the first I've seen of this concept, which means it is probably not gonna happen. I like Option 3, (which I think is probably what will be built). The stadium is hidden from the street on 3 sides by other buildings. The only road it would butt up against (Spicer) is not that well traveled. If we are gonna build this thing, it needs to be ADVERTISED not Hidden!! I love the idea of moving the Heisman lodge from where it is by the RB to a new location. Great way of incorporating some history!

I'm with you, Zipsrifle. Option 1 looks terrific to me. I'm not sure how common it is (or if this presents any "sun" issues during day games) to have the "rotated" orientation, but it really has a nice overall look to it. Incorporating views of both downtown and the rest of the campus are good ideas. The optional tunnel to the fieldhouse looks pretty cool, too! Let's hope that it's not option #1 by accident :lol:

After reviewing the conceptual design presented, I must say this looks more like a large high school stadium (a la McKinnely/Massilon). We need a horseshoe or bowl stadium! This further proves that we need to coordinate with the Wolstein group to build a joint UA/MLS stadium on our campus to maximize revenue, stadium features and capabilities (retractable roof, closed bowl, 25,000 seats and possibly expandable), and events(NCAA soccer and basketball tournament games, UA football, a bowl game if we have a retractable roof, concerts, band competitions, high school football and soccer playoff games, etc.). We must let the administration know that this conceptual design is unaccpetable and that we need to coordinate with the Wolstein group to prevent both groups from competing with one another and building otherwise inferior stadiums!If the stadium is built as proposed in this conceptual rendering, I'll be embarrased by it!At least we all still know that :screwks:

Looks like Concept 5 is probably what is going to be built.....at least that is the most recent picture I've seen the most of. It also has a later date on it, which indicates to me that the folks at the University sat down and did some brainstorming with HNTB. Still, I say Option 1 is my favorite by far....though I can see where sun could be an issue. The other options would most likely block the sun with the pressbox. Don't we play most of our games at night anyway?

I'm not sure what good "coordinating with the Wolstein group" is going to do since it's my understanding that they're not putting up any money for the proposed soccer stadium anyway. What motivation would the Wolsteins have to agree to have "their" facility, funded by taxpayers, placed in Akron?
You don't get in bed with the devil.Not that I got anything against Wolstein, but you gotta understand the nature of the beast. A guy like that wants control.

Looks like Concept 5 is probably what is going to be built.....at least that is the most recent picture I've seen the most of. It also has a later date on it, which indicates to me that the folks at the University sat down and did some brainstorming with HNTB. Still, I say Option 1 is my favorite by far....though I can see where sun could be an issue. The other options would most likely block the sun with the pressbox. Don't we play most of our games at night anyway?
If you look at footballstadiumspecs.pdf, you will see it's called "finalized conceptual plan". It looks like they made a choice.However, it doesn't seem set in stone.In the addendum:"Alternate sites will be suggested for the consultant's review and analysis."

I really like the location used in the drawings, but I noticed the dates on the plans are from May of 2005, I'm sure alot has changed since then.
I dunno.If you look at the "accellerated master schedule" they wanted to start breaking ground for site work in january 2007. I would think that if they were anywhere near following that, then by now, a lot is probably already set in stone

I'm wondering what parking will be like? I didn't notice anything in there about that. In the last concept drawing it looks like the only areas are the new sports facility and the little O Nat parking lot. Hopefully there is a better plan than that.

I sure would have like steeper inclines on the seating, makes it louder. Looks like the top rows will be pretty far away. Also, if you had steeper inclines the footprint would be smaller.Any guesses as to grass or turf?
I noticed in one of the documents that they called for Field Turf for maximum utilization.