Buffalo Predictions

jeaglet1

The game is at the JAR, so I say we win 87-73. Buffalo cannot defend the 3-pointer at all, and is pretty much the worst shooting team in the MAC. The only thing they have going for them is the offensive rebound. There will be less than 3,000 fans at the game, but hopefully the Rowdies will fill up the lower sections again. I am kind of hoping that if they are rowdy enough, the seats behind the basket will break so the U can buy new ones with more capacity.

I think the time of the game will hurt the attendance... However, i still think we will beat the 3000 mark. We should beat Buffalo by double digits at home.
You're probably talking about the NFL playoffs.I like the 2 p.m. time on a Sunday..will be there with the little Zippers in tow.

I really hope I am wrong, but I have had way too much history with this basketball program.I'm going to rely on the trends of the last couple of years, and the lack of quality marketing by predicting that the enthusiasm of Wednesday night is already forgotten, and about 1/3 of the seats will be filled with bodies on a Sunday afternoon with the NFL playoffs and cold weather still in play.However....I think the Zips are hungry, and stay on a roll with a 15+ point win.

Did anyone hear the attendance for the game?  It was better than I expected with way too many people showing up at the last minute.
There was a pretty large walk up crowd. Why would that be a problem? We should just be glad they are there...no?The side upper deck general admission was just about full. I would say 1/3 of each upper end zone was full.What really surprised me was the amount of empty blue seats. I take it not all of those are sold out for the season. However, I would have to believe most of the lower reserved are season tickets and A LOT of those seats were empty.But there was plenty of home spirit going around...plenty of home court advantage.Buffalo is a tough defensive team...good pressure...good boards.There are only 3 seniors on their roster, which tells me they're going to be good for a couple of years to come.

For those of you that are not aware, most all of the lower reserved is already purchased. Most of it by businesses who don't use them, or give the tickets to employees, friends, etc. who may or may not use them, which is why we get so many no-shows in those sections.I want some opinions on this....Was the Buffalo game our first test to see if we can win without Joyce? Can Cedrick even be a point guard? I don't think Cedrick of Dials can, or want to play the point.

I think the team played well in spite of Dru's foul troubles and the bad officiating. They have to be able to play with out Joyce and Travis. If not, then we will be in trouble when the tournament comes around.
I respectfully disagree with you here. I think that the zips played their worse game ever against Buffalo. Thank god it happened at home and against a not very good team. Poor 3pt shooting, poor free throw shooting, poor rebounding and a lot of turnovers. I think Rasor said it best on his blog: "Zips were the best of 2 bad teams." On a side note, Dials is definitely unable to take over the PG position. Cedrick might be, but it would be a waste, because with his speed and slashing abilities, his value will be maximized when he is playing on the sides and off the ball. KD should start giving Sallee some more pt, even though he will be making some inexperience mistakes... but he has to train some one, unless he believes that McNeese is the answer next year.

Good comments guys.BirdZip.....I don't understand that call either. On a player control foul (a charge) you should not be going to the other end to shoot free throws, even if the team that committed the foul is in the bonus. I think that they may have tried to say that the call was a loose ball foul. I didn't get it either.skhorbotly. I agree. There is nobody on this team right now that is suited to play point guard. Both Dials and Middleton are absolutely #2 guards. And if Sallee or McNeese are intended to fill that role, they aren't getting much practice.I guess we need to stay tuned to see what happens on this one.

Skip-Zip: I think Dials is an OK stand-in, but we need a true point guard. I am encouraged that we scrapped out a win without Dru on the floor as much. I don't think Ced should start over Dials either. I think KD likes/needs him to be that spark off the bench AND I think KD and Ced have an understanding between them that that will be his role. I feel Ced is comfrotable with that.BirdZip: Excellent question about the "player control" fifth foul called on Dru Joyce! Many sitting around me were questioning that as well.In college basketball (different from HS basketball) player control ends after the ball is passed or shot. SO, in Dru's case, the official observed that he had realeased the ball in a shot, the collision came after the release, therefore it is NOT a player control foul but it is a normal personal foul. Therfore, since that was also team foul number 10, Buffalo gets to shoot 2. Now, let's take it s step further. Let's say Joyce's shot would have gone in. You would actually have seen the basket counted for Akron, Dru leaves the game (5th foul) AND Buffalo shoots two at the other end. Now, how often do you see that? PRACTICALLY NEVER! Because, IMO, most officials will never make that call, in that situation, unlesss it was blatently obvious that there was a release first. The thing that made it confusing also was that the calling official pointed towards Buffalo's basket indicating and offensive foul to the casual fan, but in reality that point just indicates which way we are going. The hand signal we all should have looked for was prior to the point, he would place his had behind his head and THEN point. Yesterday, you only saw the point (correct). ;) I bet Frenchy would have gotten that one wrong!! :D