Solving All Problems In College Football

GP1

I listen to a lot of meatheads discuss college football on the radio. There is one thread that runs through all of it. Without any evidence whatsoever they state that a 12 team college football would solve problem X in almost every case. Moving forward, I vow to solve all problems in all of college athletics with declaring, without any evidence, that a 12 team college football playoff will solve any problem present. Doubt me?  Try me.

10 conferences means ten conference champions that won championship games on the field. 
Why in a 12 team playoff do we reward only six of the ten champions and then have six teams determined by a committee in a boardroom. Won’t there be many years where determining a 6th and 7th conference champion be like splitting hairs?

Why not reward champs 7 thru 10 with the same opportunity as champs 1 thru 6?

Furthermore, if you are always giving six conference champs berths why are you only giving four champs priority seeding? Seeds 1-4 will always be taken by conference champs but why not seeds 1-6?

I think the answer is fairly obvious. They want 13 people in a boardroom to outweigh on field results and for them to manipulate the rankings in such a way that any Group of Five conference champ will not get a top four seed, and most likely very rarely get a top 8 seed.

I can already predict what will happen the first year of a 12 team playoff..... Accolades will be thrown around because finally a Group or Five champ will be invited but that champ will be seeded no better than 9 in a 12 team field despite half the field being teams that could not win their conference. No conference champ should ever have to play a road game against a team that did not win their conference in the playoff. Champ at champ, non-champ at non-champ OK but not champ at non-champ, no matter the team name or conference they come from. ON THE FIELD result must come before committee ranking.

Why do we rely so much on 13 people in a boardroom to determine who is in the playoff when they said a playoff was created to decide it on the field? A boardroom is not on the field.

I understand needing a way to seed but we need to maximize on field result and minimize opinion

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GJGood said:

Why do we rely so much on 13 people in a boardroom to determine who is in the playoff when they said a playoff was created to decide it on the field? A boardroom is not on the field.

This is an easy answer. They really aren't creating a playoff. There are too many teams in college athletics to allow for a regular season to create a list of playoff participants so a committee is needed. The same goes for college basketball. 

More teams does not solve this problem.

5 hours ago, GJGood said:

10 conferences means ten conference champions that won championship games on the field. 
Why in a 12 team playoff do we reward only six of the ten champions and then have six teams determined by a committee in a boardroom. Won’t there be many years where determining a 6th and 7th conference champion be like splitting hairs?

Why not reward champs 7 thru 10 with the same opportunity as champs 1 thru 6?

Furthermore, if you are always giving six conference champs berths why are you only giving four champs priority seeding? Seeds 1-4 will always be taken by conference champs but why not seeds 1-6?

I think the answer is fairly obvious. They want 13 people in a boardroom to outweigh on field results and for them to manipulate the rankings in such a way that any Group of Five conference champ will not get a top four seed, and most likely very rarely get a top 8 seed.

I can already predict what will happen the first year of a 12 team playoff..... Accolades will be thrown around because finally a Group or Five champ will be invited but that champ will be seeded no better than 9 in a 12 team field despite half the field being teams that could not win their conference. No conference champ should ever have to play a road game against a team that did not win their conference in the playoff. Champ at champ, non-champ at non-champ OK but not champ at non-champ, no matter the team name or conference they come from. ON THE FIELD result must come before committee ranking.

I understand needing a way to seed but we need to maximize on field result and minimize opinion

Follow the money. Here’s how selection really works:

Which programs will get the best TV ratings?

They’re in.

Same with the basketball tournament seedlings. Whichever matchups will get the most ratings(dollars).