Post-Game Thread

sgm405

My thoughts....The most ridiculous call by the officials? How about the play where Cedrick Middleton is standing just inside the foul line, for about 2-3 seconds, anticipating an out-of-control Peay player coming his way, NEVER MOVES, and is called for a BLOCK. I've never seen the crowd in JAR arena, in 25 years of watching Zips basketball, BOO in unison, as the referees left the floor......and it was only HALFTIME. Romeo and Woods got fouled just about every time they tried to score in the post, and few of them were called. Yet, they still had great games, especially on the boards. We were much too strong for them inside, which is why they were forced to switch to a zone. Rybak looks lost out there, every time he steps on the floor.As I've stated quite often, when Dials contributes scoring, we're hard to beat. And I love the way he and Cedrick contributed to the rebounding totals. Let me give credit to Peay. I said in a previous post that I would congratulate them on a good game if they could keep the margin under 20 points, and they did. Sure, the refs may have made it closer than it should have been, but they are a decent team.

sgm405 and other Zips fans, I promised that I would come back to this board after the game whether in victory or defeat and be a gracious winner for the Govs or loser. I intend to keep that promise. I live 1 1/2 hours away from Clarksville and south of Nashville but ventured to Clarksville to watch the game at a local restaurant with a few dozen Gov fans in attendance. I have just returned so that is why this post is a few hours past the game's end. If your team loses a game then you try to assess the reason(s) for that loss. Sometimes a loss is due to your team just not playing to their capabilities and simply having an off night which happens from time to time. Sometimes your team simply comes upon a team which is superior. In the case of tonight's contest, I think it was about 70% the latter and 30% the former. In the end, Akron simply has the superior team and was able to execute their plans whereas Austin Peay could not. I will get to Akron's superiority in this contest in a moment but the Governors played in some ways which were wholly untypical as to how they have been playing as of late. Their very poor perimeter shooting when finding open looks is the main case in point. The Governors have been a much better shooting team than they showed today but they were just not dropping in for the Govs when they did have open shots. I think Babbington was 1-8 and Shipley was 1-6 which is a poor shooting night for those two. smg405, you stated in your post game thoughts that you felt the Zips perimeter defense was the main reason for the Zips victory. I am not going to disagree that the Zips did an outstanding job defensively on the perimeter. I just have a difference of opinion as to what was the main cause of Austin Peay's defeat. I think where the Zips were clearly superior and where the game was won for the Zips and lost for the Peay was in the dominating play of Travis and Woods down low. The performance of these two inside guys was simply dominant both on the boards and scoring and it was their play which later opened it up for Dials from the outside. The Govs duo of Reed and Lockett were simply no match for Woods and Travis and Reed and Lockett were just getting outmuscled in the paint. Whoever called these two guys "The Crunch Brothers" were absolutely right! These two guys are a force. I thought in pre-game that it would be critical for Austin Peay to start the game hot and that they could not get behind this Zips team and play from behind. Well, they came out cold and the Zips took an early commanding lead. I liked the way the Govs battled back to tie the game and keep the score close at halftime which was then a four point differential. It was during that stretch when the Govs were battling back into the contest that I thought they would be okay since they were getting some stops and finding ways to score. Reed seemed to be getting on track, Lockett was doing some nice things and we were hitting a few open shots. So, at halftime I thought that it would be critical for Austin Peay to come out the second half and do more of the same but their opening possessions were wholly unfruitful and then the Zips really tightened the defensive screws and the game was over. Some things I do not understand as I am trying to recall the game in my mind; 1) The Govs zone gave the Zips problems in the first half but it was not utilized much (if at all) in the second half. Why? 2) The Govs pressured the backcourt and got a turnover then dropped out of the backcourt pressure. Why? 3) Guard Wes Channels came of the bench and provided some offensive spark in the first half but I do not remember seeing him much in the second half. If he was not out there, why? 4) Peay's Kyle Duncan, I was told, went to Akron with strep throat. Why? That was sick young man out on the court tonight. Oh well, what is over is over. Akron has a very nice basketball team and one that is very, very good. Austin Peay certainly did not bring their A game tonight but I also think Akron could have played better too and part of Austin Peay not playing their A game can be attributed to the Akron Zips. Best of skill (I think basketball is a game of skill, not luck) the remainder of your season and I, for one, think the Zips future is very bright indeed. BTW, smg405, those referees were OVC officials. See? I told this board they were bad.

PeayNation...thanks for coming back to the board. We're all basketball fans here, and we appreciate your thoughts.I don't think it was you, but I have a comment to make to one of your fellow Peay fans who said something like, "Akron has nobody that can jump like Lockett". And we told him about Akron's Quade Milum, who can HIGH JUMP 6'-10".Well......I hope he got a good look at Quade in action on those Alley-Oop dunks today.

PeayNation...thanks for coming back to the board. We're all basketball fans here, and we appreciate your thoughts.I don't think it was you, but I have a comment to make to one of your fellow Peay fans who said something like, "Akron has nobody that can jump like Lockett". And we told him about Akron's Quade Milum, who can HIGH JUMP 6'-10".Well......I hope he got a good look at Quade in action on those Alley-Oop dunks today.
Hello Skip Zip, No, I was the one who made that comment and I did see Milum's dunks. May I explain that I did not intend for my comment to be negative toward any of the Zips players as some seem to have taken it. Quade has some serious hops and he showed that today and I never said the Zips and Quade in particular did not have serious hops. What I said was that the Zips had no one who could outjump Lockett and as impressive as was Milum's hops today (and he is an outstanding overall player as well, might I add), still, I have seen Lockett get off the ground higher than that. He had no good opportunity to do so today. Saying that Lockett can jump higher is not the same as saying he is going to dominate the boards or is a better basketball player or anything of the sort. It is merely saying Lockett can jump higher than anyone on the Zips team and I saw nothing today to disprove that simple statement. If it makes anyone feel any better then when Milum dunked the alley-oop pass from the inbounds then the thirty or so Peayfans who were gathered gave a big "Ooooooooo" in appreciation of his hops but in none of Milum's dunks today was his elbow above the top of the bankshot box.

I expected the game to be closer than it was. I guess it would have been if AP would have hit more of their outside shots. Some of it was the Zips defense but AP also missed a lot of wide open shots. It will be tough for the Zips to win next year at AP, especially if the Goveners are hitting their open 3s!

Brief comments:- Zips looked OK. Not their best game .. and not their worst. Good teams win on off nights.- AP was a nice team .. good depth. A little on the small size, but a talented group. I think it's a nice road game to have next season. It was cool to have an old OVC rival back in the JAR after 20 years. I think this would be a nice home and home to have. So long as AP is at the top of the OVC, I think it's a good OOC game.- When Wood & Travis play together, communicate & look for each other as they are now, the Zips are a tough team to keep in check inside.- Our end of half or end of game, get the last shot offense sucks. I'm tired of the Andre Sims dribble the ball out and then kick it up in the air as the clock expires offense. KD has to have something better than that to offer. A weak point at this point, in my mind.- People who laid the points .. not that I know any .. must have been sweating needing the Zips to hit 2 foul shots late to cover the 16.- I like the Bracketbuster .. always have. I'm watching Drexel come screaming back against Creighton right now & it's flat out good hoops. Better to watch for me than the UNC / BC that was on when I got home. Not sure I'll be able to stay awake longe enough to see NMSU double the spot against OU .. but I must say that high level non-BCS hoops is where it's at for me .. not so much one on one .. good defense & intense competition.Have a nice weekend.