Latest AP & USA Today/ESPN polls

GoZips88

AP PollOthers Receiving Votes: USC 170, Virginia Tech 126, Oklahoma St. 123, Kentucky 110, Stanford 88, Winthrop 75, Boston Coll. 74, Arizona 59, Maryland 48, Notre Dame 39, UNLV 35, Kansas St. 34, Xavier 28, Indiana 21, Akron 19, Creighton 16, Old Dominion 15, Davidson 8, VCU 7, Santa Clara 6, Drexel 4, Massachusetts 4, New Mexico St. 3, Texas Tech 3, Tennessee 2, Vermont 1USA Today/ESPN Feb 19Others Receiving Votes: Louisville 74, Virginia Tech 72, USC 65, Winthrop 61, Boston Coll. 33, Davidson 31, Kentucky 31, Indiana 31, UNLV 29, Arizona 19, Akron 15, Stanford 14, Oklahoma St. 12, Maryland 10, New Mexico St. 10, Appalachian St. 8, Vermont 8, Creighton 3, VCU 3, Xavier 3, Kansas St. 2, Wright St. 2, Texas Tech 1

Oh Wow! Getting love in the USA Today poll too. I also heard that on ESPN they did a top 5 mid major schools worth a second look and Akron was #5. I didn't see it, but that's what I heard. I don't think they were saying Akron is the #5 top mid-major, but other than the ones everyone knows about this year (Nevada, Butler), Akron is #5.

after a once over of the AP site...here's where our votes came from:Nick Jezierny, Idaho Statesman, 18th (8pts)Gary Laney, Louisiana American Press, 25th (1)Vinny Pezzimenti, NY Olean Times-Herald, 25th (1)Chad Sokol, Raleigh NC WNCN-TV, 20th (6)Matt Franklin, Lawton Oklahoma Constitution, 25th (1)Dave Mackall, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, 24th (2)-----------------------------------------------------------------19 total votesThe Zips appear on the ballot of just 6 of the 62 sportswriters on the weekly AP panel. This limits our upside in the vote category. Crack into that 25 spot on a half the other ballots and we're in the top 30. Unfortunately, I dont think we have any other "eye opener" games. Maybe a win at a hot duquesne team, or over Can't State. Call me cheesy, but I'd love to see the zips in the top 25 for something other than soccer. Football wont ever happen unless we sweep through the non conf gauntlet some year.

Well, that is more people than we had voting for us last week. I think (and hope) that word will continue to spred about the Zips. The only thing the team can do is keep winning. We can also hope for a few of the teams aove us to lose a few games. That's about it. Unless someone wants to e-mail all of the AP guys that didn't vote for us and tell them about our 20 wins and, although I hate to do this, LeBron's connection to the team. Name recognition is everything with these guys.

I know I spend alot of time talking about the negatives....No "good wins"A couple of "bad losses"poor SOSpoor RPIBut, if there is anything we have to hang our hat on right now, it's these two polls. There is always that chance that someone might say, "Hey, Akron is ranked high in these two polls, they deserve to be among the top 65 teams in the country".It's a REACH...but it's all we have right now.

This is fun to research and speculate, but I sure hope the team isn't thinking along these lines! :blink: Because if they are, Miami could put a quick end to all of this talk tomorrow night. Let's face it, winning down there (in any sport) has proven to be a mighty task indeed for UA since, well, pretty much forever.That said, GO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's close this thing out!

Call me cheesy, but I'd love to see the zips in the top 25 for something other than soccer.  Football wont ever happen unless we sweep through the non conf gauntlet some year.
Why would looking for a Top 25 B-ball ranking be "cheesy?" That's what I'm looking for! We may well win a national championship in soccer one day, and that'd be cool. But everyone knows that, on the American college scene, only football and basketball really matter. I don't think any Zips fan is deluded enough to be hoping for a national championship in either football or basketball, I know I'm not. But what I've been wishing for, for years now, is for our b-ball team to be a regular NCAA tourney qualifier, a regular NCAA first round winner (advance to the round of 32), a regular "high-teen - 20ish" Top 25 member, and have the potential for an occassional run at the Sweet 16.In football I've been dreaming for years that we'd dominate the MAC, and be often ranked in the lower regions of the Top 25 poll.I've been a pretty fanatical Zips fan for about 14 years now (since the last year of the Gerry Faust era, whatever year that was), and you know what?! I can honestly say that I feel my dreams aren't just "pipe dreams" any longer! I truly feel both KD and JD are taking our respective programs to this level!